Best Despiction of Gotham City?

Burton's two Batman films.
It felt that, somehow, his Gotham was set in both a contemporary time (by the films' release) and an earlier part of the 1900s. In this case the 1930s. One could say the it remained the same for decades here, just look as how they dressed. But the development in technology still happened. There was a beautiful mix of old and new elements.
Burtonverse is another universe where the 30s evolved unchanged into late 80s/early 90s and nothing in-between. They didn't experience any change in style that's typical to our own world's 50s/60s/70s... not until they reached the 80s, then it started to change :)
It was like Capone's reign in Chicago were taking place during the 80s.... or that the typical 80s happened during the 30s :)

I go in lenghts describing this Gotham. Maybe I'm in love with Burtonverse :funny:

In comparison, Reeve's Superman did a similar thing but to a much lesser extent. That Metropolis had a slight feel of 1920s.
Both are what's expected from each of them.
Supes' world is bright, and the architecture is bold. He's the man of tomorrow, and the roaring 20s with its art deco was looking to the future.
Batman belongs to a darker setting and a city filled with corruption/organized crime
SR had the best look for Metropolis.

I liked Returns also but they kinda let Burton go too nuts after the success of the first regarding the aesthetic of everything.

Lol I think Schumacher went more overboard than Burton to be honest. His mise en scène was just so overly detailed in both movies and he even gave Gotham a Statue of Liberty.

God rest his soul.

It's Returns or TDKT for me. Not sure which. Returns is just beautiful imo, and I feel like it has a nice blend of period piece and modern going for it. Burton also shot it beautifully, and the color grading is beautifully on point. TDKT evolves overtime, but I also like how it seems to show different parts of the city as very distinct. One of my favorite things is when in TDK they chase happens, and suddenly it looks like we are back in Begins.

1) Batman'89
2) Batman Returns
3) Batman Forever
4) Joker

Tough one really as they all fit the tone of their respective movies.

But the snowy stylised look in Batman Returns was just awesome and still looks great today.

Batman 89

It felt like a mythical city that existed in an alternate universe, the way it should.

The music fit perfectly too.

I really wish this thread was made after The Batman's release. I feel like that could set the bar to new heights.

Batman 89
Batman Begins
Joker
The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman & Robin
Batman Forever
Birds of Prey
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman v Superman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back