best punk bands old and new.

Edd Extraordinaire said:
They're about as Punk as Ashlee Simpson.

ashlee_simpson_1.jpg

yeah but courtney was never packing that much upflesh. :(

Yeah, and she never got a nosejob either. And never sung about peices of herself, unless you count the fact that her band name was hole.

Good to see someone mention the Maccladds and The Dayglo Abortions.
The Quincy Punx are one of my favorite punk bands, they're are from my hometown and they ****ing rock to bad they broke up. I prefer punk bands that don't waste they're time preaching about politics, I just think its such an easy route to take.

The Amazing Lee said:
Bad Religion are good live. :up:

I agree. For the few things Graffin does on stage (the Graffin point), he has an awesome stage presence. And Jay and Hetson are always fun to watch.

I hope when they decide to retire, they go on a farewell tour with NoFX. I would kill for tickets to that show.

The Amazing Lee said:
I got a picture with Greg Hetson :D

That's awesome. I was actually standing right beside him one time and didn't even know it until I looked at the beside me and saw him go through a door to the backstage area. Stupid me!

lawl...I love it when people discuss "punk rawk". It's always arguing about what's punk,and how sucky music is. People kinda get a "know it all" attitude. And somehow...Green Day is always argued over.

Clash
Ramones
Sex Pistols
Social Distortion
Dropkick Murphys
Rancid
Bad Religion
Misfits
Pogues (yes. Punk)
Distillers

As one of the few hype members who is old enough to have been alive in 77, I was 10 at the begining of 77 and lucky enough to have been in London at the time, best classic punk band is probably someone like SLF, Skidds or the Vibrators.

Best Modearnish pung is Bad Religion, best punk song of all time is a heavy metal outfit called "Thearpy?" singing "Going Nowhere".

Few at the time considered The Clash real punks.

- Whirly

My favorite punk band is The Offspring, followed by The Ramones.

I haven't thought of TSOL in years, I'm going to get some of their stuff. I really like Rancid, I play Out Come The Wolves and Indestructible all the time.

maxwell's demon said:
...tell me more....:spidey:

Whilst the clash rode the popularity of the punk scene, dressed in bondage trousers etc. Both the Clash and the Stranglers were never really considered punk, simply put at the time they were to slick and to poppy. Having said that Punk itself was slicker than it pretended to be. The people like me who have Clash vinyls in their collections bought the act in some ways at the time, but we always knew they were not like the pistols. The story goes the Clash (Strummer) saw the Pistols in 76, Bernie Rhodes who knew Mclaren wanted a band like the Pistols. Strummer thought after seeing the pistols and I quote "Yesterday I was crud, then I saw the Sex Pistols and realised I could be King" and joined Rhodes band. The Clash were slick they knew about music they played with influences from the earlier bands each member had belonged to like the 101ers. The Pistols, Buzz***** and other true first wave members were different. Punk lost it's direction and went very arty partially due to manipulative marketing men like Mclaren and partially due to band like the Clash who were never Punk, but rather sold out or bought in to start with. That aside I still love the Clash, but not as Punk icons in the way the Pistols were.

- Whirly

right, ok. yeah the influences talent part i knew. I forget -was Hynde in any actual bands at the time or was she just a scenester?

And was the Pistols show was before or after Strummer had been doing the 101ers thing? I remember that scene in 24hr party people where theres that pistols show and everyone form manchester seemed to be there.

btw, Wire was always my favorite from the class of '77, but the Clash are a better band overall.

I'd have to say my favs are :

Dead Kennedys
Anti Nowhere League
The Damned
NOFX
Bad Religion
The Misfits
The Exploited
The Ramones
The Offspring
Sum 41 (Aye, I know, pop punk blah blah blah, but I still love them, they make me feel good :))
Old Green Day Stuff, the new stuffs rubbish.

EDIT: Completely forgot about the Pistols!

Barbossa said:
I'd have to say my favs are :

Dead Kennedys
Anti Nowhere League
The Damned
NOFX
Bad Religion
The Misfits
The Exploited
The Ramones
The Offspring
Sum 41 (Aye, I know, pop punk blah blah blah, but I still love them, they make me feel good :))
Old Green Day Stuff, the new stuffs rubbish.

EDIT: Completely forgot about the Pistols!

I've seen Bad Religion
The Exploited
The Ramones
Anti-nowhere League
The end of The Damned's set
and Green day -__-;

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members