Best RPG Music: Your Ranking

metaphysician

Not a Side-Kick
Reaction score
As a rule, RPGs tend to have really good music, but which ones have the best? Best way to decide: ask the room. So, not a poll and not nominations, exactly. Rather. . . here is my idea in two parts. First, everyone picks their Top 10 list of RPGs with the best music, ordered 1 to 10. These will follow the usual ranking rules, wherein the number 1 pick is worth 10 points, the number 10 pick 1 point, and so on. At the end, these points will be tallied to create something like a Top 100 List.

In addition, however, you can also pick up to five "Honorable Mentions", in no specific order. These are sort of like "0 point" picks. However, I will use these both to break any ties in the main count, and also to fill out the rest of the Top 100 List. Don't feel obligated to use the Honorable Mentions as a "Pick Numbers 11-15"; they can and should be used to vote for any game whose music you think is underrated, oft-forgotten, or otherwise notable and deserving of attention.

Now, what counts as an RPG? Honestly, I leave that up to you all; a music survey isn't the play to litigate the endless "how do you define the genre" arguments. Japanese or Western, Action or Turn-Based, dungeon crawler, strategy, MMO, whatever. As long as no one nominates games that are really really obviously not appropriate, I'll just take what people say.

It's hard to order them, though Uematsu is probably the GOAT overall and I'm trying not to dominate the list with just one series.

1. Final Fantasy VI (SNES, other platforms)
2. Final Fantasy IV (SNES, other platforms)
3. Chrono Trigger (SNES, other platforms)
4. Xenogears (PS)
5. Nier (PS3, other platforms)
6. Final Fantasy VII (PS, other platforms)
7. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS, other platforms)
8. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, other platforms)
9. Chrono Cross (PS)
10. Persona 3 (PS3, other platforms)

honorable mentions
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
(PS4, other platforms)
Final Fantasy X (PS2, other platforms)
Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD - not other ports/remakes as they threw out most of the original's music)
Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD, other platforms)
Nier: Automata (PS4, other platforms)

...and a lot more (other Final Fantasy games, Persona series, Wild Arms series, Suikoden series, Mana series, Y's series, etc.) Too many list, too many to remember!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"