The Walking Dead Best season to date?

Vincanws

Civilian
Reaction score
I couldn't find the thread, have just watched them all back and wanted to see what people thought. Genuinely for me 5 edges it. 5 > 1 > 3 > 4> 2

Last edited:
I still think season 1 is the best. Then 3, 2, 5, and 4.

Would have previously said 3, but just watching seasons 1-4 back now after getting the BD's so will vote after that.

Tough. The only one I didn't care for was 2, and even that has its moments. I know I'm in the minority here but I really liked 3 if only for the Governor. I'm going to have to say 5.

Back half of season 4 combined with the first half of season 5.

Literally the show has just gotten better and better for me.

Love them all, but had to go for season 3. The introduction of some great new characters the highlight of which were The Governor and Michonne, the death of some annoying characters as well as the return of Merle and Morgan, so many good moments for me.

Nice to see some love for season 3. I thought it was great.

The show has improved significantly from season 3, imo. I hope season 6, which is already off to a great start, continues this.

Easily S4. The first half build towards the Prison War with Rick on one side losing his edge and the other side had The Governor more dangerous than ever.

The back half is some of the best character development work I've ever seen on a TV series. The Grove is the best episode to this day right next to Clear and the season finale was the best one of them all.

^
Season 4 is the most character driven season so far. And that's what I adore about it.

Last edited:
I know we still have 8 more episodes left but what do y'all think of season 6 so far?

It followed the same pattern as season 5's first half. Started strong with the first three episodes, then dipped in quality and led to a mediocre mid season finale.

I thought episodes 6.1-6.4 were promising and had this season headed in the right direction. “Here’s Not Here” was the most character driven and compelling of the season so far, imo. 6.5-6.8 were a mixed bag with either good, decent, or average episodes.

“Always Accountable” was probably my least favorite episode this season so far b/c it was mostly set up for the next threat Rick and co. will confront. And the characters didn’t have much to do to move the story/plot along. I was expecting a more tense episode with Sasha and Abe searching for Daryl, who I thought would be fighting for his life from his abductors. The Sasha and Abe moments felt like it was poorly mimicking the Daryl/Carol centered ep from Season 5 “Consumed”. It also had some lame moments [BLACKOUT]like the way the writers had the diabetic girl killed.[/BLACKOUT]

I think the biggest problem (for me) this season is the non linear 1-2 days this season mostly took place. It limited the story, imo. 6.1 - 6.8 basically takes 24 hours after the walkers in the quarry escaped and the Wolves attacked ASZ. That really doesn’t leave enough room for character development. Most of the cast got little to do of value b/c of the short time frame this half of the season is center around.

I’m also not a fan of the Glenn death hoax b/c it took away from this half of the season as a cheap gimmick to unnecessarily boost the shows popularity, which already didn't need any boosting, imo. I believe the writers only did that to temporarily write Glenn out of the story so AMC wouldn't have to pay him. Plus I don’t like being deceived and having my emotions manipulated like that. For me it cheapened that moment and took away any impact if the writers ever decide to kill him again or any major character b/c I’ll probably be questioning it or not. Honestly that situation was impossible for Glenn to get out of alive imo. For that reason alone they shouldn’t have put him in that predicament to begin with. Really expected more of Gimple.

As they did last season Gimple and his writing staff are still having difficulty balancing screen time and story between the large cast. I’m not someone who normally complains about the pacing of the show, but this season was uneven with the nonlinear various characters perspectives approach. Some storylines seem like it’s being dragged out and others seem underdeveloped and rushed. I know AMC is cheap and don’t want the entire cast to appear in every episode to save money. If that’s the case stop adding more minor characters and hold off on bringing in new major characters from the comics. Use a reasonable amount of characters that the writers can handle writing and developing. A good example is Heath (one of the more interesting Alexandrians) was introduced in episode 6.1 and was featured in episode 6.3 but disappeared for the rest of 6A without any mention. What’s the point in introducing Heath if you haven’t any intentions to develop him?

So far I don’t think this season is measuring up to my expectations. Guess I expected too much, but I found it lacking in areas that previous seasons weren’t.

Last edited:
Season 5 supplanted Season 1 as my favorite, but now Season 6 supplanted 5. This season has had the perfect blend of action, major plot twists, and character development.

Last edited:
2nd season was my favorite.

But this one is turning out to be the best one of all.

Yeah so far 6b is making up for most of 6a. Hopefully they can keep it up for the rest of 6b.

2nd season was my favorite.

But this one is turning out to be the best one of all.

I distinctly remember watching the pilot and hoping that the series would last at least 3 seasons. It never even formed in my consciousness to expect that the show would be this good for this long with no signs of slowing down.

Literally the show has just gotten better and better for me.

I can't say S6 improved drastically over S5, but it's still continued it's trend of getting better and better. Particularly the first half of S6. Faltered slightly in the mid-season premiere. Picked back up at the end.

S1 - 5/10
S2 - 6/10
S3 - 7/10
S4 - 8/10
S5 - 8.5/10
S6 - 9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"