Best Superhero Film of All-Time (with new Poll)

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay guys, we're trying this again. I have looked over several lists and narrowed down 20 options for this poll (since in the prior thread, most people wanted an updated poll). I tried to be fair to all eras, as well.

But let's not just focus on the poll itself. This is a thread primarily for discussion! What do you guys think is the best Superhero film ever made! Come and share your opinion! Compare and contrast various films. Discussion can be fun :mnm:

Just keep it civil :)

Last edited:
I shall go first.

My favorite is still The Avengers. That was one of my favorite film going experiences ever. I never thought for most of my life that we would ever see Earth's Mightiest Heroes come together in 1 movie, but when it happened Marvel nailed it! No other CBM I think captures the essence of a comic book quite like The Avengers, and while it was not the first Marvel Studios film, it was the one that cemented the MCU was a force the be reckoned with in the industry. I love everything about it. The action scenes showcase each hero very well, the dialogue is superb, the movie FEELS epic, etc. It's just an amazing film.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight. Impeccable craft all the way around, with an all-timer performance by Heath Ledger. A bonafide classic that will be discussed for decades to come.

Runner-up is Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:
Either Avengers or Infinity War. It’s a toss up for me at this point.

The Dark Knight is still the best.

It's incredibly well done. But I think I think the script and cinematography are what set them apart from other CBMs. Especially the camera work. Some of my favorite shots from TDK

0:33 - 0:51 and 1:50 - 2:04
[YT]W5Qo9Ndbrzw?t=33s[/YT]

And 2:27 - 2:47
[YT]ZhSqGupieog?t=2m27s[/YT]

And this
15258746221328183.gif

I would still narrowly give the edge to The Dark Knight.
The self contained narrative and straight to the point story is probably why I would choose this one over Marvel's 'episodic' approach. That being said I don't think it's aging very well (the fight scenes especially look dreadful by today's standards) and I have serious issues with a contrived screenplay that often struggles to place the characters where it needs them to be in an organic way (I have a similar issue with Civil War).
But the film is so iconic with gripping performances, a beautiful cinematography and a powerful subtext that its not that hard to overlook some of its glaring flaws. The fact that it was such a defining and changing moment in comicbook movie history is probably why it still holds the crown today.

That being said, my favorite is still The Avengers and if Marvel Studios manage to stick the landing with Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel and especially Avengers 4, Phase 3 might very well end up being their magnum opus and the greatest accomplishment in the genre ever.

Last edited:
Not 100% what I'd call my favorite, it's a toss up between Captain America:The Winter Soldier and Spider-Man 2

No other CBM I think captures the essence of a comic book quite like The Avengers
I have to say if there's one thing that I love about each of the Avengers films, its that how much they remind me of why I love comic books. Each one has that really ridiculous comic book flare that is so perfect and it works so well in movie form.

Why isn’t Superhero Film on this list?

"Watch The Dark Knight wipe the floor with other superhero films" thread. But at least we will get better idea.

"Watch The Dark Knight wipe the floor with other superhero films" thread. But at least we will get better idea.

Why must the focus only ever be on the poll? That for me is secondary. I like reading people's reasoning/thoughts on these things! It's fun :)

oh another thing. Just watched TDK again last night. I have to say it's a bit too long and the pacing is so ridicilously fast that at some points the movie feels rushed for me.

Gonna begin an MCU marathon, starting tonight.

The Dark Knight. I've never felt so immersed in a CBM - as if I was actually a part of it - as I did the first time I saw it. It blew me away and left me thinking about it for a long time. The interrogation scene had me literally on the edge of my seat and it's still my favourite thing in the movie. Batman Returns is a very close #2 for me but TDK takes it. Fantastic stuff.

Last edited:
I think Infinity War is the best for the same reasons that I detailed in the other thread. It is in every facet as good a movie as TDK, Avengers, Civil War for me but it was also that much bigger in its scope, scale and size. So its an easy answer for me.

But God, how lucky are we that we live in an era where so many of these movies have come out in the last few years. The Nolan trilogy, Raimi trilogy and the MCU with the odd X men entry have definitely spoiled us now.

But God, how lucky are we that we live in an era where so many of these movies have come out in the last few years. The Nolan trilogy, Raimi trilogy and the MCU with the odd X men entry have definitely spoiled us now.

Second that :up:

I'll third that.

The MCU, the Nolan trilogy, the first two Raimi films, Wonder Woman, First Class, Deadpool and Logan.

We're pretty spoiled.

1 IW
2 Spider-man 2
3 TDK
4 Logan
5 Superman 1978

All amazing films and arguments can be made for any one of them as best. However, none has left me in a daze with jaw dropped for days like IW. Biggest hype going in for any superhero movie ever and for it to not only accomplish it's mission, but accomplish it with supreme craftsmanship is just incomparable imo. Some superhero movies will hit u in one or two senses.. but to put u through a whirlwind of all five senses? That I have never felt before until I saw this movie!

Without trying to be difficult....

Are we talking about what is the ‘best’ Superhero movie? Or are we talking about what or favourite is?

Because for me, they aren’t the same thing.

The Dark Knight is still the best for me.

My favourite is Winter Soldier.

The best....is the Dark Knight.

I'll third that.

The MCU, the Nolan trilogy, the first two Raimi films, Wonder Woman, First Class, Deadpool and Logan.

We're pretty spoiled.

Fourth it.

It’s a good time to be a comic book fan!

Without trying to be difficult....

Are we talking about what is the ‘best’ Superhero movie? Or are we talking about what or favourite is?

Because for me, they aren’t the same thing.

I went with favorite, but it's open to interpretation :mnm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"