Best Superhero Film of All-Time (with new Poll)

Funny coz I think Avengers, Civil War and Infinity War have all done that already. Those heights are rather imaginary anyways, if truth be told.

That's what you think. The Academy, The Critics, Major Film Awards voters and the majority of audiences think otherwise. :woot:

tumblr_mzl44qS3BM1rrkahjo4_250.gif

I hate you right now Kane! :cmad:

I think there's only 5 films that could lay claim to being the best Superhero Film:

Superman
The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 2
Logan
The Avengers

I haven't seen The Incredibles, though.
I would probably swap out The Avengers with The Incredibles.

Last edited:
Looking at the poll results I wouldn't say those heights are imaginary. There is a reason TDK has yet to be beaten for most people. I havel never seen it lose a poll and any newly released CBM. Including Logan and Infinity War, which have probably come the closest to matching it.

This poll is not representative of how the entire world views these movies. Sure, TDK is a darling of the die hards but as I said, there was nothing in TDK that I felt was not there in Avengers or CW or IW. And the post makes it seem as though Nolan was doing something far greater than what the MCU has done, which is just not true at all. Its looked back fondly because it did it at a time when the SH movies were mostly hit-or-miss and Ledger gave one of the all time greatest performances but I can easily point out RT scores and BO receipts to show its resonated lesser with the overall movie going audiences than some other movies.

This poll is not representative of how the entire world views these movies. Sure, TDK is a darling of the die hards but as I said, there was nothing in TDK that I felt was not there in Avengers or CW or IW. And the post makes it seem as though Nolan was doing something far greater than what the MCU has done, which is just not true at all. Its looked back fondly because it did it at a time when the SH movies were mostly hit-or-miss and Ledger gave one of the all time greatest performances but I can easily point out RT scores and BO receipts to show its resonated lesser with the overall movie going audiences than some other movies.

TDK regularly finishes higher than any other CBM in ‘best movie ever’ polls held by magazines, as well as multiple web sites other than this one. It’s considered the best CBM by more than just the die yards, that’s why it’s endured so much. It was also nominated for a major Oscar in recognition of the impact it made. Ledger Joker also regularly finishes high on all time villain lists for ALL movies, not just CBMs. It seems you are trying to impress your opinion of the movie onto others.

The MCU is a great achievement, but to most it hasn’t made movie as good as TDK yet, and that’s not just the consensus here.

This poll is not representative of how the entire world views these movies.

Neither is box office receipts, or else we'd be living in a world where movies like Transformers is more beloved than most great movies.

Its looked back fondly because it did it at a time when the SH movies were mostly hit-or-miss and Ledger gave one of the all time greatest performances

Not at all. If that were true the shine would have worn off long ago in the wake of so many great CBMs since 2008, and it would have lost its crown of being the best CBM long ago. But 10 years later it is still holding that title firmly with the consensus. That's staying power. It wasn't a one time fad. That's quality standing the test of time.

Spider-Man 2 held it for four years until TDK dethroned it. 10 years later we are still waiting for a CBM to do that to TDK.

but I can easily point out RT scores and BO receipts to show its resonated lesser with the overall movie going audiences than some other movies.

As already mentioned, BO receipts don't mean diddly squat. Or are you going to sit there and tell me the likes of Suicide Squad has resonated and is more beloved with audiences than half of the MCU?

As for RT scores, TDK has nearly 2 million votes on RT with an average 4.4 out of 5 score. What CBM can match those numbers?

Last edited:
I don't think the majority of audiences rank superhero films like we do, LOL! So in that sense, he is probably right that the audience won't have it at the top of their 10 best CBMs list...cause they haven't made one :hehe:

But I would say TDK is every bit as popular as it appears. It wins these polls by fans and film critics/reviewers for a reason. The Avengers is my favorite superhero film, but I am not burying my head in the sand on that, LOL!

TDK regularly finishes higher than any other CBM in ‘best movie ever’ polls held by magazines, as well as multiple web sites other than this one. It’s considered the best CBM by more than just the die yards, that’s why it’s endured so much. It was also nominated for a major Oscar in recognition of the impact it made. Ledger Joker also regularly finishes high on all time villain lists for ALL movies, not just CBMs. It seems you are trying to impress your opinion of the movie onto others.

The MCU is a great achievement, but to most it hasn’t made movie as good as TDK yet, and that’s not just the consensus here.

Again, its not only the die-hards who watch movies. You perhaps don't get the difference but the majority of the movie going audience do not give a damn about these polls. They just go out and watch movies they enjoy. Trust me, I was one 10 years ago. Its easy to live in this bubble, but its not the full picture.

Neither is box office receipts, or else we'd be living in a world where movies like Transformers is more beloved than most great movies.

Not at all. If that were true the shine would have worn off long ago in the wake of so many great CBMs since 2008, and it would have lost its crown of being the best CBM long ago. But 10 years later it is still holding that title firmly with the consensus. That's staying power. It wasn't a one time fad. That's quality standing the test of time.

Spider-Man 2 held it for four years until TDK dethroned it. 10 years later we are still waiting for a CBM to do that to TDK.

As already mentioned, BO receipts don't mean diddly squat. Or are you going to sit there and tell me the likes of Suicide Squad has resonated and is more beloved with audiences than half of the MCU?

As for RT scores, TDK has nearly 2 million votes on RT with an average 4.4 out of 5 score. What CBM can match those numbers?

RT Audience scores can easily be manipulated, just like IMDB and they do not matter an inch when it comes to actual audience response apart from giving off how it was received in general, kinda 50000 feet view. I am not saying BO receipts alone indicate quality but I thought we were discussing which movies audiences liked and if the BO receipts are not an indicator of that, then what is? Again, just to clarify, I am not denying that TDK is a great movie. Its in my very top tier of CB movies and I had it as #1 very very recently even. Neither am I saying I do not get that its a darling of the die hard fans, which I have already admitted. You are just over-rating what it means to the overall general audience. Its really that simple.

I don't think the majority of audiences rank superhero films like we do, LOL! So in that sense, he is probably right that the audience won't have it at the top of their 10 best CBMs list...cause they haven't made one :hehe:

But I would say TDK is every bit as popular as it appears. It wins these polls by fans and film critics/reviewers for a reason. The Avengers is my favorite superhero film, but I am not burying my head in the sand on that, LOL!

Well, that is basically what I wrote in my previous para in this post. :) My own favorite need not be everyone's but I stand by what I said in my response to the first post I had quoted.

RT Audience scores can easily be manipulated, just like IMDB and they do not matter an inch when it comes to actual audience response apart from giving off how it was received in general, kinda 50000 feet view. I am not saying BO receipts alone indicate quality but I thought we were discussing which movies audiences liked and if the BO receipts are not an indicator of that, then what is? Again, just to clarify, I am not denying that TDK is a great movie. Its in my very top tier of CB movies and I had it as #1 very very recently even. Neither am I saying I do not get that its a darling of the die hard fans, which I have already admitted. You are just over-rating what it means to the overall general audience. Its really that simple.

If you believe RT scores can be easily manipulated, then why are you telling us that you can show RT scores to make your point? Why would you use such an unreliable source to try and prove something?

I wasn't discussing which movies audiences liked. I jumped into this discussion to specifically address your claims that box office and RT scores dictate that TDK is not regarded as the best. But since you raise the point to me, I have yet to see some statistics that show it is not the favorite to general audiences. Whether its fan or general audience based polls, I always see it come out on top in the CBM genre. Even within the industry itself of film makers, they only seem to acknowledge TDK in the CBM genre as being worthy of being ranked with the best movies, e.g. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/100-best-films-ever-hollywood-favorites-818512

If you believe RT scores can be easily manipulated, then why are you telling us that you can show RT scores to make your point? Why would you use such an unreliable source to try and prove something?

I wasn't discussing which movies audiences liked. I jumped into this discussion to specifically address your claims that box office and RT scores dictate that TDK is not regarded as the best. But since you raise the point to me, I have yet to see some statistics that show it is not the favorite to general audiences. Whether its fan or general audience based polls, I always see it come out on top in the CBM genre. Even within the industry itself of film makers, they only seem to acknowledge TDK in the CBM genre as being worthy of being ranked with the best movies, e.g. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/100-best-films-ever-hollywood-favorites-818512

This, TDK goes beyond the movie geek bubble, that's why it's so popular among regular movie goes as well as die hards. To say it's not as popular as people think is just not true.

Again, its not only the die-hards who watch movies. You perhaps don't get the difference but the majority of the movie going audience do not give a damn about these polls. They just go out and watch movies they enjoy. Trust me, I was one 10 years ago. Its easy to live in this bubble, but its not the full picture..

I know full picture well. Amoung my family and friends, I am the only die hard movie fan who posts on message boards and votes in polls, etc. Many of my friends don't even go the cinema to watch movies and many of them think the majority of CBMs are fluff they don't want to watch. But guess what the only CBM is that they ever talk about? Yep, TDK.

TDK is so popular because it was the first CBM to hit in a big way BEYOND the geeks and die hards.

I know full picture well. Amoung my family and friends, I am the only die hard movie fan who posts on message boards and votes in polls, etc. Many of my friends don't even go the cinema to watch movies and many of them think the majority of CBMs are fluff they don't want to watch. But guess what the only CBM is that they ever talk about? Yep, TDK.

TDK is so popular because it was the first CBM to hit in a big way BEYOND the geeks and die hards.

I cannot agree with this. In its time, Superman: The Movie did the same thing. That movie was a big deal in the 70s when it was released. Further, Spider-Man (2002) broke the OW box office record when it came out and would be a billion dollar film by today's BO value. Spider-Man 2 was openly campaigned for a BP nom by people like Roger Ebert. This statement is simply false.

Superman: The Movie, Batman 89', and Spider-Man all appealed to more than just fanboys. If they didn't, this genre wouldn't be as big as it is today.

Superman: The Movie, Batman 89', and Spider-Man all appealed to more than just fanboys. If they didn't, this genre wouldn't be as big as it is today.

Indeed. Same could be said for Avengers (first non-James Cameron film to surpass $600 at domestic box office), Guardians of the Galaxy, BP and Infinity War.

I cannot agree with this. In its time, Superman: The Movie did the same thing. That movie was a big deal in the 70s when it was released. Further, Spider-Man (2002) broke the OW box office record when it came out and would be a billion dollar film by today's BO value. Spider-Man 2 was openly campaigned for a BP nom by people like Roger Ebert. This statement is simply false.

Sorry, I was talking about since Blade came out and started the CBM reconnaissance, so yeah, STM did do that I acknowledge.

Spider-Man 2 though, it made less than the first movie at the BO, so I don’t think it hit quite as hard as TDK. I would actually say the first Spider-Man movie hit harder with the GA.

I meant the Tomatometer which is, to this day, the best and the most fair and reliable metric as it objectifies something rather subjective to the best possible and fairest extent. And there are movies which have a higher tomatometer rating than TDK and same with BO receipts. And the general audience poll is a misnomer coz the ones who care to respond to these polls usually are rather closer to the die hard fans category than the casuals. Its really simple.

And Lol @ the THR survey being anything for general audience. A direct quote from the very link you posted -

"In May, THR sent an online ballot all over town — to every studio, agency, publicity firm and production house on either side of the 405."

This, TDK goes beyond the movie geek bubble, that's why it's so popular among regular movie goes as well as die hards. To say it's not as popular as people think is just not true.

Again, if you followed my original point, I am not denying TDK is an extremely popular and well received movie consistently ranked at the peaks even by the casual audiences. Where DACrowe was totally wrong was in his insistence that the MCU will never hit those heights when its obvious it already has, as any number of casual audiences also have the same feelings about Avengers and now Infinity War. Hence "those heights are imaginary"..

That anecdotal evidence means nothing really coz my extended family has more than 50 members and no one ever cared about Superhero movies and yet they felt Avengers was the greatest thing they have seen since Enter The Dragon. As I said, WW BO and Tomatometer ratings all suggest other movies (very very few, admittedly) have achieved what TDK has achieved.

I don't think there is a massive belief that Infinity War or the Avengers deserved the Best Picture Oscar. TDK is considered a legit snub.

I don't think there is a massive belief that Infinity War or the Avengers deserved the Best Picture Oscar. TDK is considered a legit snub.

One of the most popular snubs.

Even Sid Ganis, the president of The Academy, when being asked about the decision to widen the Best Picture Category to 10 nominees, said: "I would not be telling you the truth if I said the words ‘Dark Knight’ did not come up."

And again, by whom? As I said, its the passionate and die hard fans. I think BP will fall into that category too though by the time Oscar season rolls out next year. So we will see. :)

I meant the Tomatometer which is, to this day, the best and the most fair and reliable metric as it objectifies something rather subjective to the best possible and fairest extent. And there are movies which have a higher tomatometer rating than TDK and same with BO receipts. And the general audience poll is a misnomer coz the ones who care to respond to these polls usually are rather closer to the die hard fans category than the casuals. Its really simple.

No its not. What's the tomatometer exactly? Critic opinions. Why are critic opinions the most fair and reliable? Explain please.

And Lol @ the THR survey being anything for general audience. A direct quote from the very link you posted -

"In May, THR sent an online ballot all over town — to every studio, agency, publicity firm and production house on either side of the 405."

Uhhh did you even read that part of my post? Let me quote it for you;

Even within the industry itself of film makers, they only seem to acknowledge TDK in the CBM genre as being worthy of being ranked with the best movies, e.g. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...vorites-818512

I clearly stated that one was an example of how its not just fans and general audience who rate it so highly, but also within the film industry. That was not listed as an example of a general audience poll. If you want one of them then just say so.

And again, by whom? As I said, its the passionate and die hard fans. I think BP will fall into that category too though by the time Oscar season rolls out next year. So we will see. :)

By The Academy's president (read my previous post), by the critics, by the precusors of The Oscar (PGA, WGA, DGA, SAGA, Critics Choice,...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"