Best Superhero Movie Romance

DawnWarrior

Questioner of Authority
Reaction score
Romances in superhero movies are extremely tricky to pull off. That said, which film did it the best?

Good work, this is a poll I don't recall us having before-!

And it's a tricky one as well, let me consider over some cereal before casting my vote.

Nice idea for a poll/thread. :up:

I selected the romance from Batman Returns, largely because I felt it had the strongest dynamic. The interaction of Bruce and Selina, as well as that of Batman and Catwoman was excellent. It makes the reveal moment at the masquerade ball incredibly powerful. Even though a lasting relationship between the two was not to be, their individual and collective passion was greater than any other of the choices.

Beyond that, I'd cite Bruce Wayne/Vicki Vale and Bruce Banner/Betty Ross as particularly notable choices.

I wrote off a number of the selections based off an unlikeable character, underdevelopment, or the failure of the relationship to resonate with me.

Nice idea for a poll/thread. :up:

I selected the romance from Batman Returns, largely because I felt it had the strongest dynamic. The interaction of Bruce and Selina, as well as that of Batman and Catwoman was excellent. It makes the reveal moment at the masquerade ball incredibly powerful. Even though a lasting relationship between the two was not to be, their individual and collective passion was greater than any other of the choices.

Beyond that, I'd cite Bruce Wayne/Vicki Vale and Bruce Banner/Betty Ross as particularly notable choices.

I wrote off a number of the selections based off an unlikeable character, underdevelopment, or the failure of the relationship to resonate with me.

I agree with your choices. I particularly like the Bruce/Vicki relationship, almost a Dorothy character in Bruce's mad world.

definitely Catwoman and Batman from Returns. their chemistry is too good

Batman and Catwoman was great. That scene of Bruce and Selina at the fancy dress dance at the end, where they both find out each other's identity is fantastic. You really sympathise with both characters.

Second for me would probably be the X-Men love triangle. Jean/Dark Phoenix with Wolverine in the Infirmary and Dark Phoenix vs. Wolverine in Alcatraz in X3 are powerful scenes as well as Cyclop's reaction to Jean's sacrafice in X2.

Good Poll. I love Batman Begins, but no one can seriously choose Bale and Holmes. Also, there was romance in Superman Returns? Must have missed that. If either of those get any votes, they lie. But I understand why you included them.

Top vote went to Batman Returns. Others include Batman Forever, Daredevil(yes, I thought Matt and Elektra were handled quite well), Superman: TM, and Spider-Man 2.

'I vote for Ghost Rider'.

Sorry, I just wanted to see that written on the Hype! boards for once. Yes, it looks as stupid as I imagined.

Bruce and Selina in Batman Returns.

Now that was an interesting relationship to watch.

batman returns is good but i feel that it lacked enough substance, either time
wise or with pure animal magnetism between both characters to make it real. I
never got the impression that selina fancied batman or that bruce was in love
with selina but i guess that was a problem of the timeframe of the film and
their interaction

I will have to say that the love shown between bruce and betty in the hulk is
possibly the strongest though since it doesn't need physical contact to portray
it.

Bruce and betty never kiss in real time yet both of their actions towards each
other and the way the hulk immediately seeks her out to help her or believes
she is his sanctuary and that she was the only one able to calm him down means
alot.

I will say that peter parker and mj showed some real emotion for each other just
at the end of spidey one, where he wanted her and couldn't be with her, that's
the only one i was actually physically moved by, he had won her heart but knew
he couldn't be with her. That was awefully grown up of him and i took it as a
big shock that raimi didn't go with the more predictable ending (albeit he
saved that cheesefest for the second movie).

Notice in all three of the examples i mention, the hero doesn't end up with the
girl.

so overall i go with the hulk because it was pobably the most true
representation of 'Love', not infatuation which comes across on screen. You
could tell not only betty but bruce and the hulk would do anything for each
other. That scene where she was at his bed and she shouts at him because she
thought she was watching him die was amazing, all credit due to connelly, she
is an amazing actress.

Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfieffer's chemistry was just perfect and that suited for their characters. I can't say the same about Christian Bale and Katie Holmes even tho Bale did the best he could, maybe if he had Maggie G there instead of Holmes.

Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfieffer's chemistry was just perfect and that suited for their characters. I can't say the same about Christian Bale and Katie Holmes even tho Bale did the best he could, maybe if he had Maggie G there instead of Holmes.

Problem for me is that Katie Holmes looks no older than twenty. She has none of the gravitas needed for a crusading DA. Everything about her casting pointed to studio decision about getting the young female audience.

I voted for the Returns romance, as many have.

But, if it were a romance based on any other comic movie, I'd have picked the Eric/Shelly story from The Crow. That one has had the biggest emotional impact on me, personally.

Eh ,no hellboy ?

I though ron and selma had great chemistry together.

But, if it were a romance based on any other comic movie, I'd have picked the Eric/Shelly story from The Crow. That one has had the biggest emotional impact on me, personally.

Hey......you're right. Didn't think of that.

I definitely agree with batman returns simply because it begins with them trying to beat each other to death. I imagine that's how batman would fall in love.

Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher were the best, but that was a TV show. Movie-wise I'd say it's a tie between Bruce Wayne/Batman and Selina Kyle/Catwoman in Batman Returns and Superman and Lois Lane in the first two Superman movies.

Peter Parker and MJ had potential but they screwed that up.

Bruce/Selina in Batman Returns easily. Especially with the speech that Bruce gave her at the end before she killed Max Shreck.

Bruce Wayne/Vicki Vale in Batman. :up:

The runner-up is Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man. It started off with a bang, and ended at the end of the movie with a sign of great potential. That is when it was at it's best. It got too damn sappy in the sequels.

Bruce/Selina in Batman Returns easily. Especially with the speech that Bruce gave her at the end before she killed Max Shreck.

Yea, that scene was so great that we ignored that the black around his eyes disappeared. :o

Bruce and Selina in Batman Returns.
That final scene between them is very emotional. He just wants to be with her and can't believe that he's found someone like him, a soulmate, but she's having none of it and knows that there can never be a happy ending................and its heartbreaking.

"Selina.....Please.........."

great acting from Keaton and Pfeiffer, like above posters have said there's real chemistry on screen. Also the ballroom scene is great as well. Other superhero films just don't come close to that intensity, when it comes to the "romantic bit" of their films.

Damn, I gotta go back and watch Batman Returns again. It didn't really click with me the first time.

I voted for Pete & MJ in Spider-Man 2, just for the end scene, where she arrives at his door. I actually cheered when she said "Go get 'em, Tiger." Of course, all that was ruined in the third film, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"