Best Superhero Movie Romance

han solo and Princess Lia as well..

Also I love Michael Keaton but they miscast the role of Selina Kyle very badly.

Romances in superhero movies are extremely tricky to pull off. That said, which film did it the best?

Without a doubt Zorro: Diego & Elena

Although this vid is way beyond lovey-dovey schmaltzy:woot:

Captain America: Steve Rogers & Peggy Carter absolutely worked for me too.

Last edited:
For me personally, the one I would choose as I 'felt' their connection more than those listed, I would say Henry & Amy as Clark & Lois.

LOL, that poll seriously needs some updating...

Without a doubt Zorro: Diego & Elena
[YT]1AgDCT5nFBA[/YT]
Although this vid is way beyond lovey-dovey schmaltzy:woot:

Captain America: Steve Rogers & Peggy Carter absolutely worked for me too.
[YT]EbpCqCZRj0U[/YT]
[YT]BRHF2Qb-C9U[/YT]

Mask of Zorro is not a superhero movie! :funny:

Poll needs updating.

1. Bruce/Selina in Batman Returns
2. Wade/Vanessa in Deadpool
3. Peter/MJ in the Raimi Trilogy
4. Diana and Steve in Wonder Woman
5.... Um, not counting Zorro... I guess Tony and Pepper by default?

Yeah, most of them aren't that great. Even though I think Bruce and Selina have great chemistry in Rises, it's less a romance than the possibility of one that we see after the movie fast forwards to it.

I'd probably go with...

Clark & Lois: Superman I & II
Steve & Peggy: Captain America
Peter & Gamora: GOTG 1 & 2, Infinity War
Thor & Jane: Thor (first film ONLY)
Tony & Pepper: Iron Man series, Avengers, Spider-Man: Homecoming

Yeah, Star Wars doesn't count. And if it does, we all know the greatest SW love story is Anakin and Padme. ;)

Mask of Zorro is not a superhero movie! :funny:
LOL! Debatable - The SuperHeroHype Forums
For the sake of this thread why not? If Batman is a Superhero.
I would call Zorro the definitive proto-superhero.
And the Fairbanks 20's Mark of Zorro the definitive proto-superhero film.:cwink:
Jerry Siegel: "I loved The Mark of Zorro, and I'm sure that had some influence on me." ..."When writing the script, I had Douglass Fairbanks very much in mind in the athletic stunts that he did too, so the influence of Douglass Fairbanks was not only in the art but in the visual action."

Joe Shuster - "I was a great fan of Douglas Fairbanks, and so was Jerry and I tried to use his stance, the way Douglass Fairbanks looked, ...with his hands on his hips, in Robin Hood and Mark of Zorro, in all those he had those marvelous attitude..." " [His costume] was inspired by the costume pictures that Fairbanks did: they greatly influenced us. He did The Mark of Zorro, and Robin Hood, and a marvelous one called The Black Pirate - Fairbanks would swing on ropes very much like Superman flying... the feeling of action as he was flying or jumping or leaping - a flowing cape would give it movement.

Bill Finger - "Batman was a combination of Douglas Fairbanks [who played Zorro] and Sherlock Holmes."

Bob Kane -"Zorro’s use of a mask to conceal his identity as Don Diego gave me the idea of giving Batman a secret identity…Bruce Wayne would be a man of means who put on a façade of being effete. Zorro rode a black horse called Tornado and would enter a cave and exit from a grandfather clock in the living room. The bat-cave was inspired by this cave in Zorro. I didn't want Batman to be a Superhero with superpowers…So I made Batman an ordinary human being; he is just an athlete who has the physical prowess of Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., who was my all-time favorite hero in the movies.”

2g1mdj.gif

Anyway, these two were pretty great together.
2g1ldu.gif

As well as the already established concept and character similarities, right down to the romance set-up, even folowed rthe same beats:
One breaks in stealing from the other, they fight, flight, ball-room dance, fight, romance...LOL

Last edited:
Eddie and the symbiote - Spider-Man 3. He died so they can be together.

Agree Raimi's Spider-Man Peter & MJ were great
And Deadpool's Wade & Vanessa, although they didn't capture it back for DP2

Diana and Steve in Wonder Woman

bosslogic-wonder-woman-header-1001310-1280x0.jpg

I really liked them, although not sure if I like the idea of bringing him back.

Last edited:
1. Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, the Raimi Spider-man- Despite MJ's regression as a character in SM3, this was a fitting tribute to one of comics best-known romances.

2. Clark Kent and Lois Lane, Mos/BvS/JL- "This my world. *You* are my world." I got a little misty-eyed at that one, and there were numerous other touching moments between these two.

3. Wade Wilson and Vanessa, Deadpool 1&2- Some of their dialogue is corny (both intentionally and unintentionally) but it's impossible to deny the emotional content of this pairing.

4. Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy, The Amazing Spider-man 1&2- No matter how much heat these films get, they did an excellent job of building to an adaptation of one of the biggest events on comic book history. I really liked Emma Stone as Gwen, and I would have marked out to see her as Spider-Gwen.

5. Ben Grimm and Alicia Masters, Fantastic Four, FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer- There was something profound about the visually impaired woman being able to see the man inside the Thing. Likewise, he didn't see her impairment as something that diminished her. It was fun to see the Thing so smitten.

Honorable mentions:

T'challa and Nakia, Black Panther- It didn't get much focus in the film (nor should it have), but it laid a solid foundation for future BP outings. It was refreshing to see a love interest who wasn't conflicted over the hero's role in the world, but she actually encouraged him to become more involved. This pairing doesn't end well in the comics, so they might not be a romance for long.

I know this is about movie romances, but two TV hero romances that come to mind as particularly well done are Barry Allen and Iris West (yes, I said it) and Luke Cage and Claire "Night Nurse" Temple.

LOL! Debatable - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=266422
Why not? If Batman is a Superhero.
I would call Zorro the definitive proto-superhero.
And the Fairbanks 20's Mark of Zorro the definitive proto-superhero film.:cwink:

2g1mdj.gif

Anyway, these two were pretty great together.
2g1ldu.gif

Bale and Hathaway have great chemistry together (which is rare for him and many of his leading ladies, like Holmes and Gyllenhaal), but their relationship feels less like a romance and more like the potential for one. We then skip to when they're together, and their chemistry and flirting is so good I believe it and it feels natural. But I don't really consider it a full-fledged romance.

Putting Returns aside, it's a bit hard for me to chose out of a few new and not so new good romances. Cap and Peggy in TFA, Wondy and Steve, Wade and Vanessa in DP1, Parker and MJ in Raimi films.

Batman and Catwoman in Batman Returns for me, but I do love me some Spidey and Mary Jane in the Raimi movies also.

I personally think The Amazing Spider-man's 1&2 Gwen Stacy and Peter Parker is the best superhero movie romance ever. Their chemistry was off the charts. They absolutely crushed the Raimi Mary Jane and peter romance. I also liked it even more than the Peter and Liz romance in homecoming. Liz was incredibly bland and boring and easily the worst love interest in the spiderman franchise.

I also liked it even more than the Peter and Liz romance in homecoming.Liz was incredibly bland and boring and easily the worst love interest in the Spider-Man franchise.
What romance? Was there any that existed?

What romance? Was there any that existed?
Admittedly not much. But Liz as a character was incredibly forgettable and the actor was unremarkable. The writers were not trying to make Liz&Peter a pairing like the other spiderman movie romances, but the whole thing with Peter being into her was just bland. I never rooted for peter to get with Liz because I never understood it. peter only likes Liz because she's pretty and thats all. I have no freaking idea on what Liz's personality even is, so why should I give a hoot if he gets her or not? Liz has no real character traits other than "girl," and shes mildly into peter. To top it all of their chemistry when their together is nonexistent and empty. Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy absolutely without a shadow of a doubt CRUSHES Liz in terms of characterization, likability, and importance to the story( admittedly this isn't a necessity).

In terms of romances, the Peter/MJ one is stronger because it is better written and such a focal point of that trilogy. However, Emma Stone is probably the best developed and most independently defined of the Spidey love interests. She is her own person separate from Peter and has so much heart thanks to Emma. The movies just mismanaged it like so much else.

Reactions: CJ
Eh... as much as I like the first two Spider-Man films, I always felt the romance is a weak point. Tobey sells his MJ crush and infatuation pretty well but Dunst always seemed flat in her performance to me. And her "I love you, Peter" confession at the end of the first movie felt so forced.

To be clear, I do think Dunst is a good actress but her MJ always felt lacking to me. And the third movie ruined their relationship in the worst way possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"