Best Superhero Trilogy

So basically you're saying the only way the police could've handled the situation was just to sit on their asses and do nothing?

If you refuse to accept the need to prepare by getting better intelligence because 'it takes too long', (not that Gordon ever even considered any such thing, mind you, he just charged right in there with no thought whatsoever) then, yeah, there's not many good options on the table. But trying to draw Bane out of the sewers, or blocking him in and starving him out or coming up with a non-flammable gas that won't contaminate the water system are all obviously far more workable solutions than sending separate groups of men into a dark labyrinth they're unfamiliar with even though they have no idea where to look and hoping that the literal army that's been living there doesn't just surround each group individually and kill them all.

If you refuse to accept the need to prepare by getting better intelligence because 'it takes too long', (not that Gordon ever even considered any such thing, mind you, he just charged right in there with no thought whatsoever) then, yeah, there's not many good options on the table. But trying to draw Bane out of the sewers, or blocking him in and starving him out or coming up with a non-flammable gas that won't contaminate the water system are all obviously far more workable solutions than sending separate groups of men into a dark labyrinth they're unfamiliar with even though they have no idea where to look and hoping that the literal army that's been living there doesn't just surround each group individually and kill them all.

Why are you assuming the police are unfamiliar with the tunnel system? They're working from the schematics given to them by Blake and as far as they know, They outnumber Bane's men as this is before he blows open Blackgate to add to his army. Bane has also taken hostages so that effectively nullifies all the options you've suggested because they'd be caught in the gas attack. Plus as you've said before, They don't know where Bane is so how could they have lured him out of the sewers?.

You could really pick apart any superhero movie plot point if you're trying to apply this level of real world logic. For example, In The Dark Knight, Lau wouldn't need to cooperate with the GCPD when Batman kidnaps him from China as that country would demand him back and the US government would acquiesce as not to cause an international incident.

Why are you assuming the police are unfamiliar with the tunnel system? They're working from the schematics given to them by Blake and as far as they know, They outnumber Bane's men as this is before he blows open Blackgate to add to his army. Bane has also taken hostages so that effectively nullifies all the options you've suggested because they'd be caught in the gas attack. Plus as you've said before, They don't know where Bane is so how could they have lured him out of the sewers?.

You could really pick apart any superhero movie plot point if you're trying to apply this level of real world logic. For example, In The Dark Knight, Lau wouldn't need to cooperate with the GCPD when Batman kidnaps him from China as that country would demand him back and the US government would acquiesce as not to cause an international incident.

I know they're unfamiliar because they're using maps. People who are familiar with the territory don't need schematics - like Bane's army, who've been living down there for some time - which is a major advantage, especially in the dark. And they only outnumber Bane's army in the abstract. When you split them up to create a search grid, you create small groups that can be easily surrounded.

And also, you act like I'm somehow unreasonable for saying that these options are all bad as if any reasonable person must agree to some option or other being perfectly acceptable. My whole point is the entire concept is stupidly written *because* all the options are so bad in one way or another (and because the supposedly professional Gordon never even seems to realize how bad his choices are). But the options I've mentioned would still be better than what Gordon did, even though they would require a lot of guesswork or time or the rounding up of large amounts of gas (which would potentially injure the hostages, which is also a major drawback, but under the circumstances with a non-lethal gas, they'd likely have a better chance than the police just charging in with no intelligence).

I know they're unfamiliar because they're using maps. People who are familiar with the territory don't need schematics - like Bane's army, who've been living down there for some time - which is a major advantage, especially in the dark. And they only outnumber Bane's army in the abstract. When you split them up to create a search grid, you create small groups that can be easily surrounded.

And also, you act like I'm somehow unreasonable for saying that these options are all bad as if any reasonable person must agree to some option or other being perfectly acceptable. My whole point is the entire concept is stupidly written *because* all the options are so bad in one way or another (and because the supposedly professional Gordon never even seems to realize how bad his choices are). But the options I've mentioned would still be better than what Gordon did, even though they would require a lot of guesswork or time or the rounding up of large amounts of gas (which would potentially injure the hostages, which is also a major drawback, but under the circumstances with a non-lethal gas, they'd likely have a better chance than the police just charging in with no intelligence).

Your options really wouldn't make for an exciting movie and I'd doubt they'd be the very first things they'd think of anyway. It's fine if you don;t care for how it was done but Bane needed a way to cripple the police and you're not suggesting any alternatives.

From the perspective of the police, Bane's men are just bunch of petty thugs with weapons. They may have home field advantage certainly but they're armed police officers likely to outclass them in both members, weaponry and technology. Yes they may technically know the sewers better than them but is that enough to concede that the only other option is pumping the sewer with gas? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Your options really wouldn't make for an exciting movie and I'd doubt they'd be the very first things they'd think of anyway. It's fine if you don;t care for how it was done but Bane needed a way to cripple the police and you're not suggesting any alternatives.

Because you're demanding that I suggest alternatives within the context of what they already wrote when the whole point is the writing isn't good and needed a major overhaul. And because there's literally nothing to be gained from putting a ton of effort into rewriting a movie that's been released for years.

From the perspective of the police, Bane's men are just bunch of petty thugs with weapons. They may have home field advantage certainly but they're armed police officers likely to outclass them in both members, weaponry and technology. Yes they may technically know the sewers better than them but is that enough to concede that the only other option is pumping the sewer with gas? I doubt it.

They didn't particularly outclass them at the stock exchange, the police know Bane's reputation as an international mercenary and Gordon himself has literally seen the sophistication of their operation.

They didn't particularly outclass them at the stock exchange, the police know Bane's reputation as an international mercenary and Gordon himself has literally seen the sophistication of their operation.

You mean the chase where Bane's men ran away and made no attempt to actually engage the police. Pretty sure retreating implies being outclassed. Gordon just saw a lot of vagrant's doing work, nothing about what he saw implies there a well-oiled army the police would be completely helpless against.

I'm beginning to tire of this back and forth. So I'll just say. If you don't agree, That's all right. Agree to disagree in effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"