Best Third Installment in a Superhero Trilogy?

Is there really anything wrong with someone liking Spider-Man 3 more then any other movie? I mean I don't agree, but its your own enjoyment.

Is there really anything wrong with someone liking Spider-Man 3 more then any other movie? I mean I don't agree, but its your own enjoyment.

I will always be the first to say I enjoy Spider-Man 3. I am not blind to its faults, though. But I do think for me, the good parts of the film outweigh the bad. I may not like the Uncle Ben plotline or dancing Parker or the stupid Butler scene, but the heart of the film for me is still the stuff with Peter and Harry, and I do like 80% of that story line in the movie and I love Harry's death scene. While easily SM1 and SM2 are vastly better, I still enjoy it overall. That said, I am still sad to this day we never got Raimi's SM4 and a chance to end that series on a higher note. Instead, we got TASM movies that I can't stand :csad:

I will always be the first to say I enjoy Spider-Man 3. I am not blind to its faults, though. But I do think for me, the good parts of the film outweigh the bad. I may not like the Uncle Ben plotline or dancing Parker or the stupid Butler scene, but the heart of the film for me is still the stuff with Peter and Harry, and I do like 80% of that story line in the movie and I love Harry's death scene. While easily SM1 and SM2 are vastly better, I still enjoy it overall. That said, I am still sad to this day we never got Raimi's SM4 and a chance to end that series on a higher note. Instead, we got TASM movies that I can't stand :csad:
I think, more then even getting SM4, I wish that we had just got Raimi's 3. Spider-Man 3 is definitely watchable, but I think what gets me most about it, is how it came about and what it ended up paving the way for. But yeah, it will always feel unfortunate that studio politics hurt such a beloved series of films.

I think, more then even getting SM4, I wish that we had just got Raimi's 3. Spider-Man 3 is definitely watchable, but I think what gets me most about it, is how it came about and what it ended up paving the way for. But yeah, it will always feel unfortunate that studio politics hurt such a beloved series of films.

I'm going to be honest, if I ever had the money to fund a full fledged documentary, I would so attempt to make one about the abandoned SM4 (similar to the ones made about Corman FF or the Burton Superman project). What I really would want to get my hands on are some drafts of the script and talk to the people involved about what their visions were for it. That is sort of a bucket list project for me.

I rewatched SM3 recently and took it better this time (UHD collection arrived). Maybe seeing 100500 CBMs in the past 10 years made me more tolerable towards certain stuff, that I couldn't stand before.

Poll results are interesting. But it's nice to see Rises not giving up.

I'm going to be honest, if I ever had the money to fund a full fledged documentary, I would so attempt to make one about the abandoned SM4 (similar to the ones made about Corman FF or the Burton Superman project). What I really would want to get my hands on are some drafts of the script and talk to the people involved about what their visions were for it. That is sort of a bucket list project for me.
That would be a fantastic project. Something I didn't know I wanted so much until you just brought it up. I remember when the new blu ray was coming out for 3. There is so much out there that I don't know about this general situation.

That would be a fantastic project. Something I didn't know I wanted so much until you just brought it up. I remember when the new blu ray was coming out for 3. There is so much out there that I don't know about this general situation.

This is something I have wanted to do for years, LOL! I may more actively pursue doing it at some point (maybe sooner than later). But ever since that project was cancelled, I have always looked for as much info on it as I could find.

Spider-Man 3 has a lot of problems, but it also has a lot of heart and is the last superhero movie to have Raimi's unique and wickedly fun visual sensibility. I feel like folks miss it now that it's gone, and I think that is why it has aged better than a lot of "better" superhero movies. SM3 has its own personality. That personality might be spastic, but it's got one!

I'd actually rank it pretty high if I did a list of the best third superhero movies:

1. Logan
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Spider-Man 3
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7.... Um, X-Men: Apocalypse?

Yeah, there's a real quick drop off after the first six.

Spider-man 3 over Thor Ragnarok.... because Spider-man 3 has it's own personality?

How does that work?

I think the top five are pretty clear cut. TDKR, Civil War, Ragnarok, Logan, and Infinity War in some particular order. Those can be rearranged different ways but those five are clearly above the rest. Then there is a gap and then Iron Man 3 pretty well stands alone at #6. Then there is another gap and Spider-Man 3 at #7. And nothing else after that is even worth bothering with at this point. Batman Forever is probably my favorite of the rest, which isn't saying a whole lot.

I think the top five are pretty clear cut. TDKR, Civil War, Ragnarok, Logan, and Infinity War in some particular order. Those can be rearranged different ways but those five are clearly above the rest. Then there is a gap and then Iron Man 3 pretty well stands alone at #6. Then there is another gap and Spider-Man 3 at #7. And nothing else after that is even worth bothering with at this point. Batman Forever is probably my favorite of the rest, which isn't saying a whole lot.

Yup.

I tend to draw a fine line between best (overall quality) and favorite (enjoyment, replay value). Sometimes they intertwine (The Dark Knight, for example). Do I consider The Room to be a better movie than Citizen Kane? Not at all, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to watch, in my opinion.

I tend to draw a fine line between best (overall quality) and favorite (enjoyment, replay value). Sometimes they intertwine (The Dark Knight, for example). Do I consider The Room to be a better movie than Citizen Kane? Not at all, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to watch, in my opinion.

I tend to do the opposite. Films are there to entertain and affect us, they have no objective worth so I think favorite and best are naturally the same.

If Citizen Kane doesn't move and/or entertain you then it's failed for you in my view. Just because someone pretentious might harass you about it's qualities doesn't mean that you're wrong. Technical proficiency means little if it doesn't actually translate to the experience.

People seriously voted for Spider-Man 3 and Superman III. Wow.

Anyway, this is tough. The threequel used to be the death knell for superhero franchises (largely due to the aforementioned Spidey and Supes films) but I feel like TDKR turned the corner. It was far from a perfect film and not as good as its predecessors but still an exciting, epic conclusion that featured (IMO) the best versions so far of two of the Batman universe's most important characters, Catwoman and Bane.

Ragnarok and Logan was great, even if some of the films that preceded them weren't. However, the Cap trilogy is pretty awesome all around. Even the first one, which is drastically different than the other two and not quite on the same level, is still very solid. I know I shouldn't judge the threequel by the previous films, but I can't help it. After XMO:Wolverine and even The Wolverine, Jackman is lucky anyone came back to see Logan. Iron Man 3 is okay, but it's forgettable and is one of the Marvel movies I skip when I'm doing an all-day rewatch.

I think for me, it would have to come down to Infinity War and Civil War, with Civil War narrowly edging out the other. I'd say that Civil War has a tighter story but IW just felt like a major cinematic achievement. It almost feels like it should be in a class of its own because it's also a semi-sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man and Black Panther. But no matter... Marvel pulled off what NO other studio has been able to do, and they deserve all the credit for that.

The rest of the films on the list are abject trash.

Spider-Man 3 has a lot of problems, but it also has a lot of heart and is the last superhero movie to have Raimi's unique and wickedly fun visual sensibility. I feel like folks miss it now that it's gone, and I think that is why it has aged better than a lot of "better" superhero movies. SM3 has its own personality. That personality might be spastic, but it's got one!
Yup, something like this. Overall, it's much easier to appreciate pre-CU era comic book films these days.

Civil War and TDKR are both excellent and had bigger shoes to fill given the prior movies in their respective trilogies. Logan however is just a much richer film than either of those movies, so Logan for me.

I can't really compare Infinity War to the rest of these because the Avengers movies are not a trilogy at all - the story is still going, so IW is not a completion of the story (the same is actually true of Batman Forever and Superman III, though the quality there is so low it's barely worth mentioning anyway).

Because of that, Civil War is easily my winner here, with Logan close behind and Rises and Ragnarok a bit further back.

On Spiderman 3 - I hated Raimi's entire sensibility and Maguire's acting in particular, so funnily enough S3 is the only one of the three I don't utterly despise due to it being the only one the gave me someone at least moderately sympathetic to engage with (the Sandman).

I'm genuinely surprised and happy to see Rises on top, with all the hates it gets here.

It's not a strong film overall, but it contains some of the best and most iconic moments of CBMs, that's for sure.

Oh and am I mad if I love SpiderMan 3 much more than Logan ? I mean for me Logan is just bland and unexciting. On the other hand SpiderMan 3 is extremely enjoyable for me.

You've been hating on the MCU in here for ages, so of course you would say that. :whatever:

Or of course, it's simply my view as a genuine like for it over those MCU films. My love of Superman as a character and his films far outweighs the MCU, so it's gonna mirror in my choice within the confines of the poll's defined film choices available.

This is about right.

It's hard for me to consider Infinity War, Civil War, and even Logan true threequels. There are thematic through-lines in the three Wolverine standalones, but in terms of plot Logan is as much a continuation of the (first) X-men trilogy as Mangold's previous film, if not moreso.

Did I ever mention that none of the X-Men movies since 2011 really acknowledge Origins? I might discount Logan as a threequel because of that.

But that's the only acknowledgement that horrible movie deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"