Best Third Movies

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly- Should be the undisputed number 1, but a prejudice against westerns is ever prevalent in our society.
Goldfinger
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Return of the Jedi- Don't deserve near the hate
Toy Story 3
Return of the King
Bourne Ultimatum
and then TDKR, Die Hard with a Vengence, and Back to the Future part III. All good but none come close to one of their predecessors.

Christmas Vacation is always overlooked when it comes to these lists. One of my favorite comedies.

I also don't think Friday the 13th pt 3 was mentioned. One of my favorites of the series.

Ah, good one. I never think to include that one in the "best threequels" category because I've never been a big fan of the first two. Well, Vacation is good, but I don't think it have as much rewatchability as Christmas Vacation does.

I think the reason why movies like Christmas Vacation and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly get overlooked is because they're always more pitched as standalone films. Goldfinger is almost the same way.

Return of the Jedi is great but mostly just for its first half in my opinion. Return fo the King is a much better threequel.

Once Upon A Time In Mexico. Great film, better than Desperado and El Mariachi.

You think so? I found Desperado much better.

You think so? I found Desperado much better.

They're really close for me. Johnny Depp was a lot of fun in Once Upon A Time. It's definitely a good third film and it made a ton more money at the box office than Desperado. I think it holds some kind of record for that.

Desperado was leagues ahead of Once Upon a Time in Mexico, in my opinion. OUATIM was horribly wayyy over-the-top and the characters were lackluster.

Nothing could ever replace Campa and Quino.

tumblr_lok07rZxKW1qe0m5lo1_500.jpg

desperado-3.jpg

One of the problems I had with Desperado is how quickly most of the characters were killed off. They'd appear for one or two scenes before getting shot. I dunno, I'd kind of put them both in the same league personally. I enjoyed both equally.

I have to watch it again but it felt that Once Upon a Time in Mexico was Depps movie and not Banderas.

I think the reason why movies like Christmas Vacation and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly get overlooked is because they're always more pitched as standalone films. Goldfinger is almost the same way.

I agree with you. That's probably the reason, but I'm still surprised when Christmas Vacation is overlooked.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I much, muuuuch prefer Die Hard: With a Vengeance to Die Hard 2.

Couldn't agree more. It's a hell of a lot better. It feels so fresh after the uninspired second film. A totally new angle, a different setting, a race against time, with Sam Jackson along for the ride who is wonderful with Willis, and Jeremy freaking Irons as the villain.

2 just feels like there was no thought put into it other than "Hey, let's set this on a plane instead of a skyscraper." Everything about With a Vengeance was tweaked around, and was that much better for it.

Couldn't agree more. It's a hell of a lot better. It feels so fresh after the uninspired second film. A totally new angle, a different setting, a race against time, with Sam Jackson along for the ride who is wonderful with Willis, and Jeremy freaking Irons as the villain.
Exactly what I felt too. I actually don't remember anything from DH2 except that it takes place on an airport.

Forgot Men in Black III which I thought was the best MiB film to date. To be honest, I actually liked it more than TDKR as far as "threequels" go this summer.

^ Agreed. Josh Brolin was amazing with his Tommy Jones impression!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"