Best Veitnam War Film ???

Dangerous

Avenger
Reaction score
Here I present to you the four most celebrated Veitnam War films.
All unique and great films in their own right. The question is,-
which one do you favour over the others? If you can pick one that is..

Maybe if you have not seen them all you are not qualified to vote.
Whatever the case, I was interested to see what happens when I polled them here so take it away.

Damn, it was really hard to choose between Apocalypse Now and Platoon,
but I went w/ Platoon.

I love all the movies on the list, I just feel Platoon stands out above the rest. ...Just a little bit. ;)

what about Born on the fourth f july? :mad:...

Platoon got my vote, the others are good, and i've never seen Hamburger Hill, it's on my to-do list, of course.

:up:

Platoon and Full Metal Jacket

Platoon

Haven't seen Full Metal Jacket. I'd love to see it though.

Platoon or Apocalypse Now? I cant choose.:(

From what I understand about the Vietnam War, Platoon captures this war the best from a "literal" perspective (much like Saving Private Ryan for WWII flicks). Apocolypse Now captures the underlying tones and demons of the war the best (similiar to The Thin Red Line of WWII movies). Full Metal Jacket really can't be compared as it is not a strict war movie - it is as much about the military as it is the war (genius movie BTW and one of the few movies ever to only have two acts).

IMO, all three (Full Metal Jacket, Apoc. Now & Platoon) are great movies that capture distinct aspects of this war and each as better than the others in their respective approaches.

There's a lot of films you left out that had celebrated status. One is John Wayne's Green Berets. It is controversial because it takes a Pro War stance at a time when America was at the height of the Vietnam Conflict. I remember there was controversy when this film came out.

I'd say Platoon is the best so far. Good Morning Vietnam is good, and so is Forrest Gump. Full Metal Jacket is a great film for it's pretty realistic portrayal of what the Marine Boot camp experience is really like. They left a lot out, but did portray some realistic elements in a manner few films have.

A good suggestion to find a good balance of Vietnam Conflict films would be to do a google search. That way we could have a greater selection to choose from.

Damn, tough choice. I love them all for different reasons. I'd say Full Metal Jacket stands out just a bit because of R. Lee Ermey. He owns. So many great lines.

Full Metal Jacket - If for nothing else but the basic training part. Good stuff

dpm07 said:
There's a lot of films you left out that had celebrated status. One is John Wayne's Green Berets. It is controversial because it takes a Pro War stance at a time when America was at the height of the Vietnam Conflict. I remember there was controversy when this film came out.

The Green Berets was a really good movie.

I'd have voted Green Berets, but out of those chosen I went with Platoon. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of Full Metal Jacket - the second half (in Vietnam) is not enjoyable at all. It's like watching a car accident.

I feel that they are all so unique. However, if I had to choose, I would probably go with FMJ. This is because FMJ's subdued approach to the fighting and its concerns with life outside of fighting for a soldier makes the real horror of the movie seeing what war turns an otherwise decent human being into:
a man who can shoot a now unarmed woman point blank in the face and not lose any sleep over it

Sandman138 said:
I feel that they are all so unique. However, if I had to choose, I would probably go with FMJ. This is because FMJ's subdued approach to the fighting and its concerns with life outside of fighting for a soldier makes the real horror of the movie seeing what war turns an otherwise decent human being into:
a man who can shoot a now unarmed woman point blank in the face and not lose any sleep over it
Amen. Kubrick knows how the scare the **** out of people simply by telling the truth. Full Metal Jacket is probably the best war movie, period, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"