Best/Worst live action Gotham City

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
gotham-city.gif
With The Batman we get yet another interpretation of Gotham City....out of all the live action portrayals which would be some of your tops and bottoms?

Just for reference of all the different Gothams:
Batman 66 - Gotham
Burtons Batman - Gotham
Schumacher's Batman - Gotham
Nolan's Batman - Gotham
Snyder's Batman - Gotham
Batwoman/Arrowverse - Gotham
Gotham - Gotham
Titans - Gotham
Reeves/The Batman - Gotham​

1. Burton's Gotham
2. Schumacher's Gotham
3. Reeves' Gotham
3.5. That little bit of Whedon's Gotham we saw at the beginning of JL's theatrical cut.
4. Snyder's/Yan's Gotham
5. Gotham's Gotham
6. Phillips' Gotham
7. Batman 66' Gotham
8. Nolan's Gotham

Haven't really seen much of the other shows to rank them.

For me, Gotham is gritty, extravagant, sculptural. As an architect myself, I'm fascinated by its portrayal in the comics. That was my one problem with Nolan's version. Don't make it your average American big city. Gotham City feels like a character on its own and should be portrayed as such.

Burton and Schumacher had the best versions of Gotham on film. Worst was Nolan, particularly TDKR. I have not seen the Gotham tv series or The Batman yet.

It’s hard to choose anything other than the 89 Gotham because it’s the trailblazer. That set the standard for how Gotham should look. Shortly afterwards that Gotham was adapted wholesale into the comics and I see bits and pieces of it in any stylized take on Gotham (TAS and the Arkham series). The funny thing to me is that the 89 Gotham is the standard for some people and they aren’t even aware of it.

1a) Anton Furst - Batman 89
1b) Matt Reeves - The Batman

GAP

2) Chris Nolan - TDK Trilogy
3) Todd Phillips - Joker 2019

GAP

4) Zack Snyder - BvS / JL
5) Burton / Welch - Batman Returns
6) Joel Schumacher - Batman Forever / Batman and Robin

Labeling it just Burton's Gotham and lumping the two films together is tremendously out of touch. There is such a clear distinction from Gotham in 89 to Returns that it's almost KNIGHT and day hehe

Furst designed that first batsuit, batmobile, batwing, and Gotham City. Dude is a legend, with great taste. It's rude to his work by lumping it in with the Bo Welch look of Gotham from the sequel.

Especially considering how immature and devious Burton did away with Furst, who brought such visual prominence to his first major big screen blockbuster bringing the character to the big screen. Which also apparently as I've heard tossed around that contributed to Furst's suicide when he was heart broken how he got ditched for Batman Returns. But also how he got dumped by Burton. Refusing to take his calls, and sending producers to let him go, etc.

They did keep Furst's batmobile though. SMH.

But Returns is an entirely different city. It's so stage play like. Claustrophobic, and not in an unsettling or good way. It just looks so super fake in retrospect. Also introduced the naked men statues around Gotham before even Schumacher got his hands on the franchise. Just very overrated amongst Bat cinephiles fans, IMO. Like it was filmed in a Walmart. Pass.

Furt's Gotham from 89 is basically perfect. Not near as stage like. Filming on an outdoor set at least gave the illusion they were in an actual city to accompany all the dripping with character, mood and atmosphere. Batman and the Joker fit seamlessly into that world. It set the template for BTAS, and just people's perception of Gotham period. It never was a grimy Gothic Atmospheric wonderland to that point in the source material.

Nolan and Phillips Gotham while filming on location, makes things have more gravitas, believability and reality. But they're also missing the uniqueness that makes Gotham itself a terrifying character in it's own right, with all that mood and atmosphere. Very real, to match their themes and approach. Which is unsettling in it's own way, when you see a Batman, Joker, Bane, Scarecrow type in that type of relatable scenery. But ultimately they are missing that precise pizazz to truly make it Gotham City, and not just Chicago, NYC, Pittsburg with the comic book namesake. Phillips was a little better in this regard besides elements from BB with the Narrows, etc. These two similar takes are pretty good, but not great.

Schumacher's Gotham? Like Bo's Batman Returns, but instead of snow and blank ink blanketing the city, it's drenched in neon lighting, and even more inexplicably stupid male physique statues built in through out the entire city. Pass.

Snyder's Gotham? We don't get to see too much of it, but besides a trap house with human trafficking, like much of Snyder's visuals, everything looks all too green screen and video game-ish for my tastes. Pass.

Now, Reeve's Gotham? Much like Furst's, but modernized, basically perfection. It has the real world on location filming, giving scale like Nolan and Phillips. It has the stylization, mood, atmosphere, and grittiness of David Fincher's Seven and Furt's Gotham from Batman 89. Reeve's verse feels alot like the Arkham game series, in that it is like the best amalgamation of the best iterations of the mythology.

1. Reeves: His Gotham feels very comic book accurate, and an amalgamation of Burton and Nolan Gothams, and has a very BTAS feel. I love it.

2. Nolan: Chicago and Pittsburgh work incredibly well for Gotham. The Dark Knight Trilogy Gotham feels very Batman Year One and other comics where Gotham looks more like a real city and not a city with gargoyles on every building. You can't beat the scope and scale of filming in a real city.

3. Burton: Visually, this is the perfect look for Gotham. The 1940s meets the 1980s. It truly lives up to its namesake. The main problem isn't the design, its the scale. The Burton movies filmed in both a backlot on Pinewood (Batman 89) and a soundstage in LA (Returns), and it looks like it in both cases. The action is limited as a result.

4. Schumacher: Its basically Burton's Gotham but with 90s CGI, impossibly big with impossibly big statues (that Batman and Robin can drive on), and WAY too much neon.

5. Snyder: ZS made a massive mistake in making Gotham and Metropolis "sister cities". I literally couldn't tell which city was which because they looked largely the same, and putting both cities in the same space negated the whole point of doing a Batman/Superman crossover movie in the first place. What a dumb decision (among many).

6. Philips: Its just 1970s New York. Nothing wrong with it, and cool that he filmed in a real city, but there are no major action sequences in the movie like there was in the TDK Trilogy, so you don't get to see much of the scale.

while I LOVED the version of GC in the 89 film visually the one in the recent The Batman movie feels like a realistic version of GC in the comics I was blown away by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"