Best/Worst Post Credits Scenes

Web-Head

Up, Up and Away
Reaction score
What have been the best and worst post credits scenes in the MCU so far? Some of my personal favorites are the one between Vulture and Scorpion in Homecoming, the Stark/Fury scene in Iron Man, the Ant-Man and the Wasp one and the most recent Captain Marvel one.

1) Iron Man - They cast a big name like Samuel L Jackson for a 30 second scene that told us Iron Man was part of a bigger universe and Nick Fury was putting the Avengers together. Awesome statement of intent for the early MCU.

2) Infinity War - Seeing what the snap did to the world outside Wakanda and watching Hill/Fury fade away really hit it home.

3) Guardians of the Galaxy - Dancing Groot! Nuff said.

As for the worst post-credits scene, maybe Age of Ultron. Thanos wasn't behind Ultron so it's random for him to react to AoU by saying "fine, I'll do it myself". And in hindsight I have no idea when this scene takes place since in Infinity War it seems like the gauntlet was created in Nidavellir pretty recently.

Last edited:
1) Iron Man - They cast a big name like Samuel L Jackson for a 30 second scene that told us Iron Man was part of a bigger universe and Nick Fury was putting the Avengers together. Awesome statement of intent for the early MCU.

2) Infinity War - Seeing what the snap did to the world outside Wakanda and watching Hill/Fury fade away really hit it home.

As for the worst post-credits scene, maybe Age of Ultron. Thanos wasn't behind Ultron so it's random for him to react to AoU by saying "fine, I'll do it myself". And in hindsight I have no idea when this scene takes place since in Infinity War it seems like the gauntlet was created in Nidavellir pretty recently.

Loved Iron Man and the one in Infinity War too.

Agree about Ultron. It doesn't make sense, nor was it necessary

I agree that Thanos showing up was out of place (that scene would have made more sense in GOTG tbh), but I would assume that that scene is meant to take place on Nidavellir (the white light behind him might be from the star):

Thanos_Infinity_Gauntlet.jpg

There's no reason to think that Thanos had only made the Gauntlet recently. It was pretty much stated by Thor in Ragnarok that the Nine Realms had fallen into anarchy during Loki's time masquerading as Odin, and Thor was otherwise engaged looking for the Infinity Stones so it's possible that that scene takes place only shortly after AoU.

It's also possible that Thanos was monitoring events on Earth during AoU and became exasperated at seeing another villain (albeit one completely unrelated to him) fail against the Avengers and decided enough was enough.

The only ones really worth a damn to me are the ones for Iron Man and The Avengers. The rest of them range anywhere from okay to immediately forgettable.

Last edited:
Best: Nick Fury's first appearance in Iron Man. Thanos's first appearance in The Avengers was great too but the redesign and the decision to change his motivation to not be obsessed with Death like in the comics kind of dates it.

Worst: The Thor: The Dark World post credits scene where Thor and Jane reunite (like it even mattered in the long run).

Dishonorable Mention: The scenes that are just pulled from future films (the Thor scene in Iron Man 2, Civil War scene in Ant-Man, the Thor: Ragnarok scene in Doctor Strange, etc.) not because they're bad, but it's just kind of lazy. They're cool at the time, but pretty much obsolete once that movie comes out.

It was never established that Thanos was reacting to the events of AOU in that scene. I took it as him just reacting in general to the failures of Loki and Ronan.

The context of that Thanos scene was weak. Because for one thing, he isn't doing it by himself. For another, Ultron wasn't trying to collect stones for him. So saying Ultron failed so he has to do it himself contextually makes no sense.

Also, the original Thanos coda scene from Avengers now makes less sense with how the character was ultimately depicted in Infinity War.

One thing I haven't liked of late is the ones that are pretty much just gags. Homecoming had a good one like that, but not all of them really work.

The context of that Thanos scene was weak. Because for one thing, he isn't doing it by himself. For another, Ultron wasn't trying to collect stones for him. So saying Ultron failed so he has to do it himself contextually makes no sense.

Also, the original Thanos coda scene from Avengers now makes less sense with how the character was ultimately depicted in Infinity War.
Just realized they discarded the whole floating throne after GOTG.

The Incredible Hulk's post credit scene has always been one of my favorites. Iron Man and The Avengers are also great.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 has 5, and they're all great fun.

CM has a good one, setting up Endgame.

Thor Ragnarok has a real downer mid-credits. They survive the destruction of Asgard and things are looking hopeful when......Thanos ! To me it felt out of place for such an otherwise upbeat film ( I mean it manages to be apocalyptic and fun at the same time, Taika's a freaking genius. He lives down here in Wellington and I swear I saw him out jogging in Kilbirnie once - I digress here but for a great laugh check out "Wellington Paranormal" a real X-files meets keystone cops comedy show. It's extra funny if you are a local, and get the in jokes about the Hutt Valley....where I work).

Anyway I felt that while that scene set up Infinity War, it was a bit out of place.

Agreed about Ragnarok. I assumed it had to with Thanos, but I'm sure the general audience didn't and were confused.

I also think the one in Black Panther should have been apart of the actual film then just have the one with Bucky instead of having two credits scenes. Especially since they showed stills of T'Challa at the UN or wherever they were.

I always remember the first time I got a group of mates to wait to see what the final post credits scene would be in GOTG and boy were we all disappointed :funny:

I loved the Howard the Duck scene. It was hilarious and not something I would have expected to see in a million years.

I thought the first post-credits scene in Ant-Man and the Wasp was great and a huge gut punch. It got the biggest reaction from the audience at my screening by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"