1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Best Zack Snyder DCEU Movie

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Erzengel, Apr 20, 2022.

?

Best Snyder DCEU Movie?

1. Man of Steel

57.9%
  2. Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition

7.0%
  3. Zack Snyder Justice League

35.1%
  1. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

This. Plus it was clear from all of the Knightmare scenes that Snyder was tunnel visioned with the idea that the best way to depict Superman was as a dangerous being that could easily snap and kill us all. For those of us who love the character, we end up like devoted pit-bull owners who swear by the fact that this thing we care so deeply about is actually kind and loving while everyone else just sees the anecdotal carnage that it can cause.

2. henzINNIT Registered

Josstice League's ceepy, uncanny-faced Superman was more human and relatable than Snyder ever managed.

3. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

Yeah, weirdly, as horrifying as Whedon made Superman look in that movie, he actually wrote him pretty decently. Both versions of Justice League suck but I think I prefer the theatrical version because 1. Superman actually has dialogue and comes off pretty well and 2. I would rather watch two hours of bad movie than four hours of bad movie.

4. Mysteryman Registered

Agreed.
    I watch it whenever I can.

Babillygunn, Batgirl0202 and 3rdstone like this.
  5. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

Wow, despite seeing all of them multiple times, I would need to watch them all again to decide. Love all 3.

Batgirl0202 and Prison Mike like this.
  6. Karelia Tell Them The Man In Black Sent You

Man of Steel
    Justice League
    Batman V Superman

I think Watchmen is his best DC film. Although in every one of these movies, I have issues with them. The characterization of Pa Kent in Man of Steel still bothers me. In BvS, I cannot stand Jesse Eisenberg as Lex (even if he is playing Lex Sr. son, just blah.) And Justice League... never have been a fan of Ezra Miller's Barry Allen. Even with Watchmen, he adapted the movie probably better than most could ever attempt, but sometimes it feels like he misses the point with certain stuff. Even the opening with Comedian's death, him punching through walls and being flung around all ridiculous lol.
    I do get it's a movie, certain things they're gonna change, but oh well.

I think if Snyder made Watchmen now, he keeps the squid ending. CBM's have changed so much over the years, it's crazy to think about.

I do really enjoy ZS work with DC, but I still have some minor gripes haha.

7. FunkMiller Failed Experiment

Justice League by a whisker. 7/10. MoS 6/10. BvS 4/10.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  8. Closerframe Registered

Man of Steel > JL > BvS

Babillygunn, Batgirl0202 and Karelia like this.
  9. Another_Fool Registered

I think it felt forced in Josstice League. However, I don't disagree with your point either.

10. henzINNIT Registered

Oh yeah. Super forced. All of Joss' additions were crowbarred in at the last second, a rewrite after the film was finished. Kind of an interesting artefact because of this, but hardly a smooth transition ha.

11. Bruce Wayne you've done a man's job, sir!

The writing of Superman in Whedon's cut is one of the very few things it has over the Snyder cut imo. Unfortunate that for all of ZSJL's better and more promising qualities, Superman as an actual character in his own right still feels massively short-changed. At least, that's how it seemed to me.

Awest66, Mani-Man, titansupes and 3 others like this.
  12. Deck Rickard #HeadlessSuperman

Yeah, that’s what I don’t get about the defenses of ZSJL. If you’re truly a fan of ALL of these characters, what is it about Superman in that movie that makes him feel like the hero we all grew up with? Where is heroic presence? The leadership? The humanity? Like others said, he’s just a plot device… a MacGuffin who ends up becoming a killing machine (apparently) with the way the movie ends.

I guess I can see how one could love the movie if they are a fan of the other members of the League, but as a Superman fan, that film and BvS are just abominations to me.

#37 Deck Rickard, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Awest66, Mani-Man, Limonade and 4 others like this.
  13. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

upload_2022-6-21_11-7-32.gif

You just summed up my thoughts completely.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  14. GothamCity Registered

Batman v Superman in my opinion.

15. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Man of Steel, #1. It got a few things wrong, most of them to do with Pa Kent, but it got a lot right too.

I liked that it broke with the Reeve films - I mean I love them and Reeve will always be my #1 Superman, but I liked a lot of things about this take on Superman.

Ive always felt that it was visually impressive ( Krypton and those establishing shots of Kansas are beautiful) and with a few tweaks it would have been much , much better received.

Although the neck snap worked in the context of the film, it soured so many people on the film that it really was a mistake.

I loved the flight sequence and the battle in Smalville, but the Metropolis fight needed a bit of work - maybe evacuating the city before the ship arrived and Superman helping clean up afterwards.

Batman v Superman was a huge mistake, just wrong on so many levels. The Batman v superman fight in TDKReturns feels earned, because
    A) it has 50 years of history behind it, with Batman and Superman knowing each other for decades.

B) In TDKReturns Batman isnt trying to kill Superman and the fight isnt the two heroes being manipulated - they fight for their own reasons.

Also, Batman only just takes down Superman, and literally dies in the process. It feels epic because it was written by a genius at the peak of his game.

The film tries to rip that off without doing the work needed to establish the relationships that make that fight make any sense at all.

It also tried to squeeze in the Death of Superman, and introduced a terrible take on Lex Luthor.

I honestly hated that film.

ZSJL ...well, its self indulgent and amped to 11, but at least its consistent. So it comea second for me.

Babillygunn likes this.
  16. SupemanandLois Registered

I liked all of them! But I voted for his justice league film!

17. Pennywise Registered

Man of Steel

18. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

Justice League
    Batman v Superman
    Man of Steel

19. Dr. From parts unknown

BvS would get my vote. Its narrative is more intricate, its themes more nuanced, ambitious and challenging. And for me, that makes the movie more interesting.

I did like the theatrical version — though I found it clunky in spots. But my evaluation (at the time) was that the flaws were easily outweighed by the virtues. The Ultimate Edition, however, fixed most of the issues I had and represented a significant improvement. Additionally, ZSJL addressed certain enigmatic elements introduced in BvS. Thus, the third movie — in effect — retroactively enhances the second.

To be sure, BvS-UE is still a dark and melancholy deconstruction of the genre. So “best” doesn’t necessarily translate to a conventionally “fun” movie experience. But the film continues to fascinate and engage me. Now if the criterion was most “entertaining” (as opposed to “best”), I’d probably choose ZSJL. …Or perhaps MOS...? Come to think of it, it’s been a while since I last watched MOS. I’m due for a re-screening.

20. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

MoS despite Snyder bastardizing Clark and Pa Kent's characterizations.

[​IMG]

metaphysician likes this.
  21. JannTosh Registered

Not to me. Superman in JL felt forced. Like a Marvel quipster.

22. SKSpawn Doctor of Undiagnosed Chaos

It's Man of Steel for me. It's not perfect but it finally introduced a fantastic new Superman, didn't rush things, and nicely set the pace for a different superhero universe... it was all downhill afterwards, sadly.

Rijowhite likes this.
  23. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

MOS.

But I like how all three have a different flavor when it comes to tone and visuals, yet they all kinda fit, under the umbrella of "grounded" + "mythic".

Even with all the flaws in execution, in story, etc, at least Snyder brings to the table something that a lot of directors do when it comes to these movies, a distinct vision, and that really counts for something.

#48 FeedOnATreeFrog, Oct 22, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2022