Better Spy Series: Mission Impossible or Bourne?

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by The Batman, Aug 16, 2017.

?

Which franchise is better?

1. Mission: Impossible

2. Bourne

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

With both film franchises currently at five films each, which is the overall better series, which one has the better action scenes, and which one has the better protagonist?

2. Symbiotic

Symbiotic Registered

Back when they were each just three films, I might've said Bourne, but I think so highly of both Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation that those two films alone make M:I the overall better franchise for me.

3. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Earth Bound

Agreed with Symbie.

Also I don't really like counting Bourne Legacy as that wasn't even a Damon movie.

4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

It's tough because the last two Mission Impossible movies were really well done. I love the original Bourne trilogy, but then you have Bourne Legacy which was awful and Jason Bourne which was very flawed.

I guess overall, pound for pound, I will say Jason Bourne for the first three movies.

5. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

MI no contest. It's so stylish and well written for the most part

Bourne has never worked for me, I don't know why

6. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

I like both.

7. DOBSON10

DOBSON10 Custom User Title

I like both but Bourne is significantly better to me. The first two Bourne movies are both much, much better than any single Mission Impossible movie. Going by the last two movies in each franchise M:I is catching up a bit but nothing that comes close to topping those first two Bourne movies at the moment so I'm going with Bourne.

8. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

Mission: Impossible has been better lately, but none of the films in that franchise touches the original three Bourne films. So I went with Bourne, easily.

9. Whatupman

Whatupman Registered

Bourne easily. Ethan Hunt is no where as compelling as a protagonist as Jason Bourne is. And Damon is the better actor.

10. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Bourne just shades it at the moment, but M:I6 may change that. Last 2 M:I movies have been great.

11. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

Mission: Impossible, FTW.

Better action, more variation in style/substance between each of the films, and a more enjoyable franchise overall.

12. Elayis

Elayis Registered

The first three Bourne's are all solid to great films. Legacy was forgettable and last year's was terrible and tarnished Damon's stellar trilogy.

Whereas with M:I, the only one I genuinely think is good was De Palma's. M:I-2 I enjoyed when I was younger but can now see the flaws; it's still a guilty pleasure, though, and I have fun when I watch it. Abrams' was okay but nothing special; felt more like an episode of Alias than a M:I movie. Ghost Protocol is trash, and I can't see anything about that movie that people like. And Rogue Nation I went into expecting to love (as McQuarrie's Jack Reacher was a favorite of mine in 2012), but again I was very disappointed by it. I don't like the more comedic and grandiose bent the franchise has taken.

13. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I like them both but Mission: Impossible. There's just more "spying" than in the Bourne series, which is basically The Fugitive x5. The world around MI is far more fun and interesting, specially considering how much they dropped the ball in Jason Bourne, they proved they can't really do much, they keep repeating the same plot lines over and over again, is exhausting.

14. Kevin Roegele

Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

I think the MI series is one of the most consistent movie series' there is. I know MI2 is not looked upon favourably these days, but I find it extremely entertaining.

15. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I go with the Mission Impossible series. I enjoy the last few more than the first few in the series. Bourne has quickly become redundant. The same story. The same basic chase sequences and fights.