Biggest surprise of 2019?

writer0327

Sidekick
Reaction score
We're almost done with the year, only a handful of releases left. So this might be a good time to talk about what surprised you in the magnificent year of 2019. Sleepers that came out of nowhere? Box office bombs that left you scratching your head? Performances you didn't see coming, whether good or bad?

My three biggest surprises:

3. Endgame actually lived up to and surpassed the hype.

I knew before seeing Endgame that I would like the movie. I had nothing but confidence in the directors, writers, creators, actors, etc. Not only that, it was the culmination of 11 years of films that I loved, so how could I not like it? But considering the scale of the MCU, and the number of story threads addressed in Endgame (that honestly would have been easily forgiven had they ignored them), to actually stick the landing with an exclamation point was beyond impressive. There was nothing easy about what Endgame did. It took standard tropes and plot devices we've all seen a million times and repurposed them into what ended up being a poignant redemption story, made a 3 hour movie feel like 2 hours, and wrapped up several characters arcs, from Black Widow to Stark to Cap to Thor, while giving us some of the greatest comic book movie moments in history. Culminating the MCU within one film was a tall order, but they didn't just accomplish that, they did it in style and going away.

2. The Summer of Lackluster.

Maybe it was just me, but was this one of the most boring summers in a long time? May through August is usually primetime for movies and it had a lot of good names and franchises in the mix this year: Aladdin, Lion King, Spider-Man, It Chapter 2, Pikachu, X-Men, Godzilla, Men in Black, F&F, etc., but aside from the two Disney remakes and Spider-Man, none of those movies really seemed to wow anyone. It brought this whole strategy of the power franchises into question and led to a ho-hum box office as a result. And speaking of the box office....

1. Joker's box office.

If someone had told me that Joker would finish the year in the top ten for the box office, I would have laughed in their faces. This was a year that had a ton of big time box office potential throughout a lot of other films, but a character study about a comic book villain set in the 80s did not seem like one of them. Sure it was going to make a decent amount of money, but cracking $1B? That was a shocker to me, but just as most of those other would-be box office hits came up short, this movie didn't because it didn't only seek to entertain the masses, but to tell a story that people clearly needed to hear.

I suppose Avengers: Endgame setting a new all-time worldwide record should be surprising. Funnily though I just don't feel that being such a huge surprise. I was probably a little more surprised when Infinity War got such a huge boost over Age of Ultron. It was obvious Endgame would be the biggest movie of the year at least (no, I don't think Star Wars can beat it) and I was always sure it would beat Infinity War and had a realistic chance of becoming the second movie to cross the $2,5 billion mark. So its success is nowhere the same surprise as the success of movies like Titanic and Avatar which really came out of nowhere. As for other movies I don't feel there has been any real surprises. Some has done a little better than expected, others has done a little worse perhaps. But in the end, the movies that are in the top are movies most thought would be there. The Disney-dominance was expected. And this makes me wonder if we ever will see some real surprises and sleeper hits in the future. Feels like there's no room for that anymore in this franchise-crowded era when it's almost all about getting a huge opening weekend.

So far, I've enjoyed the following films:
1) Dragon Ball Super: Broly
2) Child's Play
3) Joker
4) Toy Story 4
5) IT: Chapter Two
6) Fighting with My Family
7) Spider-Man: Far From Home
8 ) Avengers: Endgame
9) BrightBurn
10) El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
11) Once Upon A Time in... Hollywood
12) The Irishman
13) Knives Out

I expected that I'd enjoy The Lighthouse. Did not expect it would be one of my favorite movies ever.
Right there with you. The Lighthouse is effing phenomenal.

John Wick 3's success at the domestic box office. I was afraid it going to be buried by Avengers and Aladdin and it turned out be a far bigger hit than anyone expected. It's no wonder that Lionsgate has scheduled the fourth chapter for a May release.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark being as good as it is. I was pessimistic about this project, even with GDT attached as a producer. I loved these books as a kid and was fearful that it was going to be a cheap cash-in. Turns out, I couldn't have been farther from the truth. You could tell that they put actual care and craft into this project.
Endgame actually lived up to and surpassed the hype.
I couldn't have been happier about that.

Like every year, there were a number of things that surprised me.

1. Joker's success
2. Parasite being one of the best films of the decade
3. A24 continuing to be an amazing studio with Midsommar, The Lighthouse, In Fabric, and Climax
4. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood being Tarantino's worst film

The biggest surprise to me is Joker being so popular and Joaquin getting so much praise when the movie and his performance were so bad. But I know I shouldn't be too surprised considering Beauty and the Beast was trash too and that made a billion.

Another surprise for me was how much Critics didn't care for the live action Lion King. I expected everyone to fawn over that and they didn't.

With so many comic-book adaptations making it past $1 billion these days I'm only surprised that people still gets surprised over it. :)

With so many comic-book adaptations making it past $1 billion these days I'm only surprised that people still gets surprised over it. :)
Shazam, Into the Verse and Dark PhoeniX though didn't even earn half a billion. Deadpool 2 wasn't close to a billion. A billion isn't really guaranteed for comic book movies. Who knows how many cbms will hit that mark next year. Morbius, Bloodshot, The King's Man and The New Mutants obviously won't. I would be surprised if Eternals and Birds of Prey (and the Fabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) hit the billion mark. While Wonder Woman 84 and Black Widow aren't guaranteed to hit that mark as well.

1. Joker being a decent movie and slaying it at box office.
2. Sonic being remade.
3. Parasite.
4. Biggest surprise when it comes to undeserved BO is Captain Marvel for sure.
5. Terminator: Dark Fate being complete trash and bombing at BO really hard.

For me personally it's definitely two things the massive surprise success of Joker, and that earth shattering OW for Endgame. As great as the rest of that movie's run was nothing tops the craziness of those DOM/OS OW numbers IMO. Also, nobody could have predicted Joker being as huge as it was.

Joker Streisand Effecting its way to a billion dollars.

Doctor Sleep actually being decent.

For me personally it's definitely two things the massive surprise success of Joker, and that earth shattering OW for Endgame. As great as the rest of that movie's run was nothing tops the craziness of those DOM/OS OW numbers IMO. Also, nobody could have predicted Joker being as huge as it was.
Endgame just felt like the biggest movie in years/decades....

I don't know if we would ever see a movie as big as that one.

Shazam, Into the Verse and Dark PhoeniX though didn't even earn half a billion. Deadpool 2 wasn't close to a billion. A billion isn't really guaranteed for comic book movies. Who knows how many cbms will hit that mark next year. Morbius, Bloodshot, The King's Man and The New Mutants obviously won't. I would be surprised if Eternals and Birds of Prey (and the Fabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) hit the billion mark. While Wonder Woman 84 and Black Widow aren't guaranteed to hit that mark as well.

Still no real surprise that Captain Marvel did as much as it did when you look at how other MCU-movies performed recently. No real surprise for Joker either after the strong early buzz it generated which was similar to the buzz for The Dark Knight. The October-release was beneficial, with not much compettion. I mean, Venom made over $850 million last year with an October-release and that movie wasn't exactly praised. And just because there's no gurantee a movie will make over a billion (is there really a guarantee for anything?) I just don't feel it is a surprise if a movie does if the potential is there. I will be more surprised next year if not at least one of the MCU-movies doesn't make more than a billion. Seriously, I barely won't rise an eyebrow if something like Black Widow even get close to $1,5 billion.

Still no real surprise that Captain Marvel did as much as it did when you look at how other MCU-movies performed recently. No real surprise for Joker either after the strong early buzz it generated which was similar to the buzz for The Dark Knight. The October-release was beneficial, with not much compettion. I mean, Venom made over $850 million last year with an October-release and that movie wasn't exactly praised. And just because there's no gurantee a movie will make over a billion (is there really a guarantee for anything?) I just don't feel it is a surprise if a movie does if the potential is there. I will be more surprised next year if not at least one of the MCU-movies doesn't make more than a billion. Seriously, I barely won't rise an eyebrow if something like Black Widow even get close to $1,5 billion.
If BW makes $1.5B, I think most folks will be surprised. I know I will. This feels like it might creep over $1B, but probably will land in the $800-900M range.

You are speaking for yourself though. People were using Joker's r rating and the film being a 1-off against its box office success before the film was released. While Ant-Man and the Wasp / Thor Ragnarok (which featured the Hulk), should have also earned a billion after all those characters aren't really newcomers compare to Captain Marvel, but they didn't hit the billion mark, unlike Captain Marvel.

Maybe it didnt surprise you, but people in this thread and from the other box office threads were surprised that certain films managed to earn a billion at the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"