Biopics

cerealkiller182 said:
You know the movies that show whats going on in an artists head liek Confessions of a Dangerous Mind or The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys or whatnot. Thats what i was thinking. To show his social life parelleled to his work. When he describes the creation of spiderman it started as a fly on the wall and he thought that would be a cool power. Then you jump to his imagination where he is stuck in a fly-superhero costume fighting crime then he bursts through an office door and pitches the idea. Kinda take what he said in Mallrats. How he was the Hulk.Mild-mannered one moment and then a mess of emotions the next.

still, the most interesting parts of his life (even his internal/imaginary life) really weren't that spread out. They happened for a few years and then he just lived off of it.

---

anyway, who thinks Colin Hanks would be good for a Ted Williams biopic ?

TedYoung.jpg
10051983.jpg

BT18 said:
still, the most interesting parts of his life (even his internal/imaginary life) really weren't that spread out. They happened for a few years and then he just lived off of it.

---

TedYoung.jpg
10051983.jpg

Regarding visage,perhaps,though he strikes me as not having any physical endurance.

My vengeance said:
Regarding visage,perhaps,though he strikes me as not having any physical endurance.

Some actors do alter their lifestyle and workout regimen for movie roles.

BT18 said:

---

TedYoung.jpg
10051983.jpg

thk.jpg

Interesting... If you cover up his nose with the mouse arrow, you'd think it is Tom Hanks. I never saw much resemblance but the forehead and eyes are similar :o

Colin would have to start working out cause he was looking kinda chubby in King Kong.

one had a big painted on moustache, one played a harp, one was ugly and...there was another dude sometimes

I'm not sure if i'm a fan of Biopics.

They have been used in such a bad way by Hollywood in the last years.

Movies like Walk the line are generic as bad place. Most biopics are treated in such a robotic way that it feels static the whole time.

Look at Cinderella man, or walk the line. Or Ray. They are all so "safe" movies, which use the most basic of storytelling. They bring absolutely nothing new to films.

The problem is that such pictures are now associated these days with Oscars winners. And the Oscar is one of the worst thing you can aspire to. Oscars do NOT encourage imagination or innovation (exactly why they mostly dismissed Citizane Kane back then).

Story always seems like such a focus in these hollywood biopics. Which again brings those movies down, at least, most of the time. Since they are so generic in nature, them focusing on a story which they CAN'T change isn't helping. Not every life is interesting to tell. Where's the fun in the not-so orginal life of Johhny Cash ? It gets old fast, since we've all seen that so many times already.

But biopics can be wonderful if done right. A movie with great skills behind it can play with the audience's familiarity of the story's character.

Everybody knows about Jesus. Everyone knows about his tragic ending. Such emotions can be manipulated, and in the right hand is often gold.

Unfortunately, the right hands are few and so far away.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
one had a big painted on moustache, one played a harp, one was ugly and...there was another dude sometimes

Chico was kind of sexy and Zeppo was a bit of a playboy.

You have to add in Gummo Marx,too.

tzarinna said:
How far have you gotten in your research?

I've read most of Groucho's autobiography, I have a couple other books to read.

I have a couple footnotes on a few events I'd like to include(How they got onto Broadway, Chico's gambling problem, etc.)

I enjoyed Ray, a pretty generic film but Jamie Foxx's performance took the film to another level. I also enjoyed Capote and Ali, not complete biopics but deserve a mention.

I'd like to see something on the Montreal Maroons. Partly because an ancestor of mine played on the team. :D

TheSaintofKillers said:
I'm not sure if i'm a fan of Biopics.

They have been used in such a bad way by Hollywood in the last years.

Movies like Walk the line are generic as bad place. Most biopics are treated in such a robotic way that it feels static the whole time.

Look at Cinderella man, or walk the line. Or Ray. They are all so "safe" movies, which use the most basic of storytelling. They bring absolutely nothing new to films.

The problem is that such pictures are now associated these days with Oscars winners. And the Oscar is one of the worst thing you can aspire to. Oscars do NOT encourage imagination or innovation (exactly why they mostly dismissed Citizane Kane back then).

Story always seems like such a focus in these hollywood biopics. Which again brings those movies down, at least, most of the time. Since they are so generic in nature, them focusing on a story which they CAN'T change isn't helping. Not every life is interesting to tell. Where's the fun in the not-so orginal life of Johhny Cash ? It gets old fast, since we've all seen that so many times already.

But biopics can be wonderful if done right. A movie with great skills behind it can play with the audience's familiarity of the story's character.

Everybody knows about Jesus. Everyone knows about his tragic ending. Such emotions can be manipulated, and in the right hand is often gold.

Unfortunately, the right hands are few and so far away.

I guess it really shows the actor's true talent. Jamei Foxx was unbelievable at Ray, Pheonix as Cash, Hoffman as Capote. Hundreds of others. Its about the performance more than anything i guess. Also to icon-alize some of the greats for other generations. I agree you need a good story. God and Monsters had a good story, American Splendor had a good story. Ed Wood had a good story. I suppose not all of them end up being great and even Oscar bait at times, but I still love them.

Off topic- The OScars have had their ups and downs, but last years with Million DOllar Baby and Ray and what not. I think the awards went to the right people. Some how ppl always judge the Oscars, but that year was particularly good than most.

I also enjoyed Ali. Well, it was great in the theatre. Not quite as good for home viewing.

Wow I was just thinking about this thread the other day but now I can't remember what I wanted to add,damn it all.

I think they should do biopics about people that get honored and worshipped around here.

Therefore, I think they should do movies about the following people:

-Alan Moore

-Sean Connery

-Frank Sinatra

-Chuck Norris

-Jack Kirby

-Elvis

-Lewis Carroll

-Jack Nicholson

-Ozzie Osbourne

-Mick Jagger

edit...forgot this is the same biopic thread I already posted in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"