Shazam Black Adam spin off with The Rock

Yeah, uh why would you give the power of a word to a group of people like that?

Probably because people in power over here want us to believe that anything that doesn't derive from Judeo-Christianity is Satanic. Can't rule a nation full of smart people. Nobody's perfect.

I don't think it will. I think there is now a real chance Shazam doesn't get made, but they will "fast track" this. Anything they are announcing has a better chance of being made imo.

I don't think it will either. The Rock is really busy lately and he probably needed to know about the schedule. I bet he was the one who went to DC to figure out wtf they were doing about the movie. He's been attached to this for years now.

Probably because people in power over here want us to believe that anything that doesn't derive from Judeo-Christianity is Satanic. Can't rule a nation full of smart people. Nobody's perfect.
This unfortunately sounds rather accurate.

Can it really be considered a "spin-off" if it's not spinning off of anything? It's not like Shazam is absolutely being made before this, if it's even made at all.

Can it really be considered a "spin-off" if it's not spinning off of anything? It's not like Shazam is absolutely being made before this, if it's even made at all.

I think Shazam! will be made. The Scorpion King comparisons make sense. We get Teth Adam's origin 5,000 BC. And in Shazam! he wakes up to a different world and The Wizard gives Billy the power of Shazam! to stop Teth from taking over the world. He gets shamed and beaten and retreats to Kahndaq to make it a better place than it is (a nest full of opium, underage sex workers, and black market arms dealers). By the time we see Adam again he'd turned Kahndaq into the jewel of the Middle East, not unlike Black Panther and Wakanda. His people love him for it and he finally has the recognition he felt he deserved. Then you can spin that off into an arc where his wife gets assassinated and he goes off the reservation again. So many different paths you can go with Black Adam. And with the Rock playing him I'm not worried at all.

But The Scorpion King came out after The Mummy Returns, did it not? They made a stand-alone film after the character debuted in another film. So it was a spin-off in that sense.

Black Adam coming out before Shazam would make Shazam the spin-off or sequel or whatever.

I thought the article said Black Adam wouldn't be in Shazam, but a potential sequel.

I'm not....opposed to this, but people are saying the only reason this is happening is because he's played by the Rock. If that's true, why not just recast him into Shazam?

I guess movies on villains is going to be DC's niche now? That's kinda cool. People criticized Batman and Superman as heroes anyway, so might as well.

How do you make a movie for a superhero villain before you make a movie about that superhero? Literally because the Rock is attached :funny:

Exactly. I bet this movie happens quickly because The Rock is a huge BO draw, which is why he will basically be taking Shazam's place it looks like. Sigh. I don't see both movies happening. either. I too bet this takes Shazam's place and that gets scrapped. Shame cause he is a good character, and they nailed Black Adam's casting. This could have been a great Shazam project. Alas, even if Shazam happens, they're wasting his best villain and making it a sub-franchise. Shame.

Exactly. I bet this movie happens quickly because The Rock is a huge BO draw, which is why he will basically be taking Shazam's place it looks like. Sigh. I don't see both movies happening. either. I too bet this takes Shazam's place and that gets scrapped. Shame cause he is a good character, and they nailed Black Adam's casting. This could have been a great Shazam project. Alas, even if Shazam happens, they're wasting his best villain and making it a sub-franchise. Shame.
It s definitely disheartening. Of the original line up, Shazam was my DC Doctor Strange. One of my lesser know favorites that comes in under the radar that could turn out to be one of my favorites.

It's been mentioned before it could end up as an Xavier/Magneto type rivalry. Except this "Magneto" actually gets that solo film the studio's been promising for decades.

Like it's been mentioned before it could end up as an Xavier/Magneto type rivalry. Except this "Magneto" actually gets that solo film the studio's been promising for decades.
You don't start with the Magneto flick. Not even Fox thought that was the good idea.

It makes chronological sense though. I mean why jump back 7,000 or whatever years when you can do it in order?

Edit: I also feel like it's more verisimilitudinous to introduce magic in ancient times than it is in modern times. I mean, look at *whispers* Enchan-tresssss.

Last edited:
It s definitely disheartening. Of the original line up, Shazam was my Doctor Strange. One of my lesser know favorites that comes in under the radar that could turn out to be one of my favorites.

Agreed. I thought it was the one that seemed like it was on the right track up to this point. Now, looks like it is going off the rails and I don't like DCs current plan. I feel like this is happening because Suicide Squad made a lot of money, which is why that is getting 500 spin off films, and now we're doing a villain movie before the hero of that series ever sees the light of day. Suicide Squad conceptually worked cause it built off of Batman existing and they had an idea for it. Here, why start the story of Black Adam when the audience knows nothing of the mythology of Shazam to this point? It makes the introduction of Shazam himself later less spectacular. In a film like that, we should be learning of that world with the main character. Not wasting 45 mins of plot to get the character caught up to what the audience already knows. Instead of it being magical, it will just make the people watching impatient and say WE KNOW ALREADY!

I hate this idea for many reasons.

It makes chronological sense though. I mean why jump back 7,000 or whatever years when you can do it in order?

Edit: I also feel like it's more verisimilitudinous to introduce magic in ancient times than it is in modern times. I mean, look at *whispers* Enchan-tresssss.
Why make Wonder Woman after BvS, chronologically speaking? Because in terms of narrative, it makes sense. How do you make a movie about a specific hero's villain before a film about that hero?

Agreed. I thought it was the one that seemed like it was on the right track up to this point. Now, looks like it is going off the rails and I don't like DCs current plan. I feel like this is happening because Suicide Squad made a lot of money, which is why that is getting 500 spin off films, and now we're doing a villain movie before the hero of that series ever sees the light of day. Suicide Squad conceptually worked cause it built off of Batman existing and they had an idea for it. Here, why start the story of Black Adam when the audience knows nothing of the mythology of Shazam to this point? It makes the introduction of Shazam himself later less spectacular. In a film like that, we should be learning of that world with the main character. Not wasting 45 mins of plot to get the character caught up to what the audience already knows. Instead of it being magical, it will just make the people watching impatient and say WE KNOW ALREADY!

I hate this idea for many reasons.
I agree 100%. Which is why I don't see Shazam happening now. Either this isn't successful enough to ask for it, or it is too successful, so why not another Black Adam movie?

I'm honestly more interested about a Black Adam origin movie that the Deadshot solo movie.

This can lead to a Superman Shazam crossover, acting as an origin for Shazam.

Why make Wonder Woman after BvS, chronologically speaking? Because in terms of narrative, it makes sense. How do you make a movie about a specific hero's villain before a film about that hero?
I think it's an attempt to establish Black Adam as his own character based on the stories that Johns explored in JSA. The ancient Egyptian angle can be fully explored. bad place they could even possibly work in sly references to Nabu, the Hawks or the Beetle scarab.

Let Teth have his story built upon as the foundation of Shazam. And when he falls it can lead into the Shazam film. If the rumor is true that Black Adam would be saved for a sequel then Sivana would be the obvious villain. Save Adam and Mary/Freddy for the sequel. I see a lot of potential here and I'm sure TPTB at WB do too. And for the Rock to have passionately campaigned to play this guy for so long? We're lucky to have him.

I'm not....opposed to this, but people are saying the only reason this is happening is because he's played by the Rock. If that's true, why not just recast him into Shazam?

I guess movies on villains is going to be DC's niche now? That's kinda cool. People criticized Batman and Superman as heroes anyway, so might as well.

Because The Rock wants to play Black Adam. He was going to play him in a Captain Marvel movies years ago before it fell through. And the studio essentially let him pick the role that he wanted, and Black Adam is one of his favorite characters.

Look, the Rock has wanted to play this for years. If they want to start with a solo/villain themed one that's OK. Concerns me they can't seem to cast Captain Marvel/ Shazam! though.

Let's not act like these criticisms never carried any validity.

They do. This is a weird move. The actor has become more important than the story here

No one wants a Black Adam movie. This is only happening because The Rock is playing the character. Same with the rumored Will Smith as Deadshot movie. No one wanted a Deadshot movie but now it may be happening because the guy playing him is so big.

I'd rather DC stick to their main characters this beginning in the game.

I can see why DC is doing this. This could be indicative of WB's strategy to be different from Marvel... focus on the villains

Think about it

First Suicide Squad
Then Gotham City Sirens
Then a rumored Deadshot movie and a SS sequel
Now this?

This might be an ingenious move

I don't want a solo Black Adam movie, but a Shazam movie with the main focus being on Black Adam is cool. He has a fantastic backstory. Seeing Billy's story unfold in the background wouldn't bother me

While showering Eisenberg's Lex, Leto's Joker, the Enchantress and her s***ty CG brother with praise?

Harley's getting a movie because Margot was the breakout of SS and this is happening because The Rock is a superstar. I don't think it's necessarily a conscious shift in the line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"