Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DarthSkywalker

To reply to you from the previous thread, bald man. You can't compare cause BP had a GREAT set up with Civil War. That alone helped a lot. But we aint going to agree on this once again, Charles.
So this accounts for a box office difference equal to a failed Zack Snyder flick starring three of the four most well known superheroes pre-08?

Had BA been introduced in them Zack Snyder films, sure. But you scream bloody murder at anything Zack Snyder randomly so sure.
Wonder Woman was introduced in a Zack Snyder joint. Her first solo film was one of the most well reviewed superhero flicks. It got to 822m. More over, why did BvS do what it did, considering it already had MoS to introduce Superman?

The difference between Black Panther and Black Adam are this:

- Marvel's brand was not poisoned by a streak of consistently poorly received films.
- Black Panther was well received by audiences and critics alike.
- The film had a hugely compelling lead in the role.
- Right or wrong, Black Panther was built on the idea that it was the first major black led superhero flick, from one of the big two. It was seen as a cultural milestone, that had the black community hyped and right wing targeting it and the black community for daring to be excited for it.

Those last three are most important, and why Black Panther could do what it did, and Ant-Man and the Wasp, even coming off the back of Endgame, couldn't even get to a failed Zack Snyder Superman solo flick. If Black Adam was led by a better actor, who didn't control the production, leading to a film that was met with a tepid reception, it would've done better. If it was as deep and culturally relevant as the Rock acts like it is, it would've done better. Black Panther numbers? No. But the difference wouldn't be so vast, that Black Panther's sequel without it's beloved lead, could beat it in 7 days.

You know something I just realized.

I mean I begrudgingly enjoyed the Guardians one, but we really got robbed of a Yelena/Kate Bishop Holiday Special. Picture it: the two of them having a fun Christmas adventure with Kate showing Yelena around the city, then they have to fight some supervillain all the while hilarity ensuing?

giphy.gif

Kevin Feige, you're a coward.

Just give me a Widow/Hawkeye family dinner.

BP means more to me than it could ever mean to you. Facts.

NO ONE NOT EVEN ROCK and WB themselves ever thought about beating a successful franchise in BP. I don't buy another lead angle to this at all, cause this BA movie doesn't get made without the rock. But he wasn't wrong about calling himself and the group of heroes in his movie the new kids on the block compared to BP2. Which is how all this back and forth started. I for one are not surprised at all by the box office, not one bit. I also feel like WB and co were kinda anticipating that and call it a write off in a way cause they seem to be very much interested to be in business with him, good or bad business thats on them to know, but he is sure talking about the next ones like he knows something we dont, which seems to be the case.

I don't know. The Rock's steroid addled mind and ego might very well have expected it.

BP means more to me than it could ever mean to you. Facts.
How do you know this, exactly?

NO ONE NOT EVEN ROCK and WB themselves ever thought about beating a successful franchise in BP. I don't buy another lead angle to this at all, cause this BA movie doesn't get made without the rock. But he wasn't wrong about calling himself and the group of heroes in his movie the new kids on the block compared to BP2. Which is how all this back and forth started. I for one are not surprised at all by the box office, not one bit. I also feel like WB and co were kinda anticipating that and call it a write off in a way cause they seem to be very much interested to be in business with him, good or bad business thats on them to know, but he is sure talking about the next ones like he knows something we dont, which seems to be the case.

Also, I havent gone as frequent this year to the theater as the years before, but how many times I saw that BA trailer in them theaters? None. How many times I've seen that trailer for the menu? 8 times. I feel like WB and Rock himself relied too much on his social media presence as a form of advertising, which also backfired imo.
New kids on the block:

It did much better. You keep leaving out the issues with the film and the DC brand itself. That it reviewed poorly and that audience reception outside of the hardcores was meh.

And if you are really arguing that there wasn't enough ads, that's insane. They spent IM3 money on this one. They did a flippin' world tour and there was ads galore on all sporting events.

Nah. I regret bringing this up again with you. You just don't know when to quit and I frankly dont give a damn and that is a recipe for disaster, and I dont want to grab another drink. I deleted all my replies. You can keep at it, if you like. Insert that Dido song from the 00s. Too late and I'm tired. Good night, bald sir.

Nah. I regret bringing this up again with you. You just don't know when to quit and I frankly dont give a damn and that is a recipe for disaster, and I dont want to grab another drink. I deleted all my replies. You can keep at it, if you like. Insert that Dido song from the 00s. Too late and I'm tired. Good night, bald sir.
You can make this about me all you want, but it does not change reality. You've dismiss reviews, audience receptions, the damage done to the brand by poorly received flicks, and put it down to, "well Black Panther showed up in Civil War". Black Panther did better then Civil War. This isn't a, "I don't quit" situation. it's, "I'm right" situation. Lesser known heroes make money when people fall in love with their films. We've seen it with Iron Man, Deadpool, GotG, Black Panther, etc. There are levels to it of course, but not everyone needs to be Spider-Man or Batman to have a good box office run on their first go.

You brought up Dwayne wanting to do Black Adam, and thus it was made. That's the problem. The studio didn't want it, Dwayne did. And Dwayne only cares about looking cool. He can't take a lesser known character and 70m bucks, and beat Superman. Because he had neither the studio nor hired the creative forces to make it so.

Also what the bad place was that Black Panther thing, seriously?

Most interesting box office stuff until Avatar. Will Black Panther cross 900m. Right now, I don't see it getting to MOM WW, but it will easily pass it domestically.

Have started Mandalorian S1 now.
Up until eps 4 so far...though I already been spoiled of who the baby yoda is (the consequences of catching up late, haha), but I love it so far.

I especially loving the soundtrack...Ludwick Goransson might be my favorite composer in Hollywood now. I wouldn't mind him as John Williams' successor to take over Star Wars's score from now on.

And I really appreciate the episodic format this series had (so rare nowadays). With World Cup taking so much attention now (especially with Japan still has chance!), I can slowly take my time to watch the rest. Haha. Though, I plan to finish it through season 2 before Christmas time.

Black Adam was never going to be a billion dollar movie or even $800 million but I think the hope and expectation from Dwayne and WB was to get MoS numbers, around the $600 mill mark...a decent start to show that there's interest and room to build in the future. And the funny thing is, it maybe could have reached that with China's help. They may have been banking on getting that market since they had secured it with The Batman.

A friend of mine on this site recently told me that we're in a "Golden Age" of CBMs, and looking back on this past year I really do have to agree with him. Every CBM I watched in 2022 has been excellent, with only one glaring exception.

The Batman is a flat out masterpiece, and I will accept no arguments to the contrary! And even though it wasn't released this year, I had a blast with The Suicide Squad. Both Love & Thunder and Multiverse of Madness were so fun, and Wakanda Forever was about as moving and effective a tribute to an iconic actor/character as you could possibly hope for.

And even though they weren't feature films, I totally enjoyed Werewolf by Night and GOTG Christmas Special too.

The only CBM I didn't love this year was Morbius, though I do admit it was fun watching social media pranksters collectively take the **** out of it, as they say across the pond. It's not often pop culture junkies totally come together but this was one of those rare occasions. A shame we have clunkers like this stinking up the room when there were so many quality releases this year...

The only major CBM I haven't seen this year is Black Adam, but I'll reserve judgement until I can watch it without paying directly for it. I know it's pretty divisive so I'm actually interested in seeing it...

Looking forward to 2023, I can't wait to see Quantumania, GOTG Volume 3, and The Marvels. Now I just need to get my shirt together and start plowing through the Marvel Disney+ series so I can finally catch up with the rest of ya'll :yay:

For me personally 2023 I'm more excited about DC than Marvel. Cannot wait for Shazam 2, cant wait for my all time favorite Batman (Michael Keaton) to make his return in The Flash and looking forward to some big colorful silly action in Aquaman 2. I'm really hoping all three of those movies land critically and financially for DC because they are in dire need of it. DC literally cannot afford another bad year, so next year has to be a good one for them.

I think people are reading too much into the DC references in Eternals and the GOTG Holiday Special. It’s a throwaway line like Aunt May referencing Superman in Spider-Man.

Last edited:
For 2023, I am on team Quantumania and GOTG3. Those are my 1 and 2 respectively. On the movie side

I still can't believe they really cancelled Batgirl. That was truly shocking.

That damn Zaslav.
I surprised he didn't cancel Blue Beetle as well since that seems to have even less buzz than Batgirl did. Seems like it survived because it was too late to be added as tax write off.

Gunn might be biting off more than he can chew on that one... ask Feige how much of a pain in the balls it is to work movies and tv together, then you want to add in chronically delayed video games to the mix?

bad place, that's not biting off more than you can chew, that's shoving a whole steak in your mouth and trying to gum it down.

I'm just sitting here patiently waiting for The Marvels. The anticipation has been bubbling since the end of WandaVision.

They really are making us wait until the summer to see how this all goes down.

8c5085236f4a328674ecf4d0e7de357e6122e696.gif
Same!!! :mrk:

Sorry to say that’s the last CBM I expect to be hyped for for quite some time. I WOULD be hyped for the Flash solely for Supergirl, but…yeah. :dry: Neither DC nor Marvel has anything lined up after that to capture my interest til The Batman 2, whenever that may be.

WB will be sold again before the end of a typical video game production schedule. :o

The new regime hasn't made anything yet but wants to dive into live action movies, animated movies, live action shows, animated shows, and video games. The MCU took how long to get to TV shows? And yet it sounds like they just want to dive headfirst into being Marvel plus even more. While I'm sure it'll pass the low bar of being more successful than this, it reminds me how Sony PowerPoints before the release of After Earth were hyping up how there would be movies, games, comics, and a massive merchandising push.

Same!!! :mrk:

Sorry to say that’s the last CBM I expect to be hyped for for quite some time. I WOULD be hyped for the Flash solely for Supergirl, but…yeah. :dry: Neither DC nor Marvel has anything lined up after that to capture my interest til The Batman 2, whenever that may be.
Looking at release schedule, for me it's Shazam 2, Spider-Verse 2, The Marvels then... Loki season 2 and Daredevil? So thanks Disney+. :o

WB will be sold again before the end of a typical video game production schedule. :o

The new regime hasn't made anything yet but wants to dive into live action movies, animated movies, live action shows, animated shows, and video games. The MCU took how long to get to TV shows? And yet it sounds like they just want to dive headfirst into being Marvel plus even more. While I'm sure it'll pass the low bar of being more successful than this, it reminds me how Sony PowerPoints before the release of After Earth were hyping up how there would be movies, games, comics, and a massive merchandising push.
What really bothers me about this, is they are wiping out things people love to do it. Stuff that's actually good. And for what? Nothing.

Looking at release schedule, for me it's Shazam 2, Spider-Verse 2, The Marvels then... Loki season 2 and Daredevil? So thanks Disney+. :o
Daredevil’s a funny one because I am looking forward to it, but I also have this gnawing suspicion that there’s just no way it will live up to expectations set by the original show. Even though my preferred DD is Mark Waid’s and I think there’s a good chance that will be their main inspiration for this one…I thought the same about Hawkeye with Matt Fraction’s actual involvement and it still didn’t really capture that Fraction vibe enough for me despite my general enjoyment. So while I am looking forward to seeing Matt back, I just can’t get hyped for it. Now if they actually get around to announcing Karen and Foggy, I’ll probably get a little hyped just to see my trio back together again, but yeah it’s a strange one.

Daredevil’s a funny one because I am looking forward to it, but I also have this gnawing suspicion that there’s just no way it will live up to expectations set by the original show. Even though my preferred DD is Mark Waid’s and I think there’s a good chance that will be their main inspiration for this one…I thought the same about Hawkeye with Matt Fraction’s actual involvement and it still didn’t really capture that Fraction vibe enough for me despite my general enjoyment. So while I am looking forward to seeing Matt back, I just can’t get hyped for it. Now if they actually get around to announcing Karen and Foggy, I’ll probably get a little hyped just to see my trio back together again, but yeah it’s a strange one.

I'm most hyped for GOTG 3 and Daredevil, followed by Marvels, and then Ant-Man 3 mostly for Jonathan Majors and Kathryn Newton. Spider-verse too, but animation is kind of a separate thing imo

I agree on DD though, it seems like it will be very, very difficult for it to live up to the expectations created by the Netflix show. I think it'll be more accepted and enjoyed than season 2 maybe, but Season 1 is such a masterpiece it's a tall order to live up to that. And with 18 episodes? I'm hoping its 3 six-episode arcs ranging from Mark Waid type fun adventurous DD, to Shadowland and some of the darker more mystical stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"