Black Canary question?

Sharkfestation

Civilian
Reaction score
I know this is kinda stupid question but does she use guns? I know she is expert at martial arts and has that "Canary Cry". Will she use it for a last resort or does she doesn't use guns for personal reasons like Batman?

I don't believe I've ever seen her use a gun before.

And she does have a very strict no-kill policy, like Batman, so I imagine she won't ever use one willingly. But it might have been different in the past, I dunno.

Generally, in the DCU, superheroes (and until the last 15 years or so, supervillains) don't use guns unless otherwise specified.

I don't want to speak for the Marvel U., because I don't read them as much, and because it would be so Marvel for them to all carry guns.

Let's say she is on her motorcycle while fighting a huge and very strong alien super villain. Her "Canary Cry" has no effect on the villain. So she goes full speed and jumps off the motorcycle. She then pulls out a pair of pistols and shoots at the motorcycle so it can explode. Would she do that?

Let's say she is on her motorcycle while fighting a huge and very strong alien super villain. Her "Canary Cry" has no effect on the villain. So she goes full speed and jumps off the motorcycle. She then pulls out a pair of pistols and shoots at the motorcycle so it can explode. Would she do that?
Wait, a little motorcycle exploding can stop a huge and very strong alien supervillain, but her canary cry had no effect?

I'm sorry, where did this question come from?

I kinda based on the part in the Justice League Unlimted episode "The Patriot Act" when Vigilante did the same thing. I'm writing a scene like that in my Justice League movie pitch only with Black Canary instead Vigilante. I thought it would look cool if that was done on the big screen. However, I wanted to check if that would happen in the comics, so I asked you guys.

IMHO that is very cliche. I want to see something fresh and unique to the heroes contained with in the film. I don't want to see a scene that has been done in a thousand other films by a thousand other normal people.

Well, technically you can do anything you want for a movie adaptation. If your Black Canary would use guns in that instance, then your Black Canary would use guns in that instance. Just be aware that it is a departure from the comics.

Even the comic book Black Canary would occasionally use other sorts of weapons, though, if you think that would make for a cool scene. Staves, swords, kamas, kukris, katanas, nunchakus, sais, even spears or nagintas; basically anything Asiatic or relating to the martial arts.

Something that would be sort of an appropriate "in-joke" would be the crossbow; Black Canary has been often partnered with Huntress in the comics, who does iconically use a crossbow. Having Dinah use a crossbow in lieu of Helena would be a sort of wink at the comics-reading audience.

As a final note, just be aware that the comic book Canary Cry is very powerful; shattering walls, knocking sht over, powerful enough to give most supervillains pause. If it doesn't hurt a villain when something like guns will hurt the same villain, there should be a fairly good reason for it, otherwise it's another departure from the comics. Which is fine as long as that's what you want.

Black Canary using guns would be very insulting. Part of her allure as a character, is that she really goes in "naked" so to speak. Unlike Batman who at least has a utility belt, Canary pretty much has fists and her canary cry. And in most cases, she never really uses the cry. There was an arc in Birds of Prey where she was trapped on the island with t his blind agent, and she got out of there strictly on the merit of hand to hand combat.

As horribly cliche as that would be, let's try to turn that idea around, if only for the hell of it.

Take out the part about her canary cry having no effect. Black Canary could probably make Superman's ears bleed. Also take out the guns. Her voice is the only projectile attack she needs.

How about this: Black Canary's rushing toward the villain on her motorcycle at full speed, and jumps off. Then, instead of guns, she screams at the bike, pushing it toward the villain at an even higher speed.

Thanks for that idea. Luckly the part with the guns hasn't been written down or typed for my Justice League movie idea. It was just a idea.

BrianWilly said:
Something that would be sort of an appropriate "in-joke" would be the crossbow; Black Canary has been often partnered with Huntress in the comics, who does iconically use a crossbow. Having Dinah use a crossbow in lieu of Helena would be a sort of wink at the comics-reading audience.

As a final note, just be aware that the comic book Canary Cry is very powerful; shattering walls, knocking sht over, powerful enough to give most supervillains pause. If it doesn't hurt a villain when something like guns will hurt the same villain, there should be a fairly good reason for it, otherwise it's another departure from the comics. Which is fine as long as that's what you want.

Ironic yes, not totally in character though. Dinah has been shown in the comics to use a bow and arrow, with some aptitude, despite a crossbow being available for her to use.

There was even a Simone BoP where her Canary Cry shattered a mountain. ;)

*Ducks for bumping but is bored and BC is her fav*

Black Canary is one of the premier martial artists in the DCU. Surely using a GUN would be beneath her dignity !

I don't know if I'd say using a gun is beneath her. I mean, she's used a bow & arrow before. She's not opposed to using weapons. She just doesn't need them.

Bow does not equal gun. Batman will use a bow, but never a gun.

Eh. True.

I miss when Roy switched between guns and bows, though. Back when he had a decent codename.

Never say "Never" buddy.

q.jpg

tec032-12.jpg

BATMAN001-Gun.jpg

And yes I know those's are almost 50 years old but these next ones are only a little over 20 years old
87_4_000575.jpg

1132301171.jpg

And these about 15 [or a little more] years old

det_comics_v1_627_57_rougher.jpg

det_comics_v1_627_58_rougher.jpg

Heck, he had one in his hands two years ago. There was also an excellent Gotham Knights story years back that had him buying a gun, and it showed just how deep his hate against the weapon is. He's never used it though, to my recollection. He certainly won't use as standard weapon.

Heck, he had one in his hands two years ago. There was also an excellent Gotham Knights story years back that had him buying a gun, and it showed just how deep his hate against the weapon is. He's never used it though, to my recollection. He certainly won't use as standard weapon.

I forgot about those other times.I must be sleepy.:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"