Sony Spin-Off Black Cat/Silver Sable spinoff film

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
Intriguing.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/silver-sable-black-cat-movie-spider-man-movie-sony-1202014365/
Following the news that a “Venom” pic is coming next year, Sony is now fast at work on another “Spider-Man”-related film, this time focused on female characters Silver Sable and Black Cat.

Sources confirm to Variety that “Thor: Ragnarok” scribe Chris Yost is penning the script. The previous draft was written by “Westworld” co-creator Lisa Joy.

Matt Tolmach and Amy Pascal are producing the project.

Related
Spider-Man in Avengers Infinity War
‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Cast Will Include Spider-Man and Chris Pratt

In the comic books, Silver Sable is a mercenary who runs a company that hunts war criminals. Black Cat is burglar named Felicia Hardy, who briefly appeared in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” played by Felicity Jones. While both characters exist in Marvel’s “Spider-Man” universe, the Yost-penned film will not be a crossover with the webslinger.

Sony is actively searching for a director for both this and the “Venom” spin-off. The studio recently receiving a draft on “Venom” with hopes to land a director very soon. “Venom” will swing into theaters on Oct. 5, 2018.

Besides writing the next “Thor” pic, Yost has also dabbled in Marvel’s animated series such as “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” and “Wolverine and “X-Men.” He is repped by Verve.

The next core “Spider-Man” pic, “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” comes out July 7, 2017.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, I wish this was in the MCU proper, but I hope that the producers are careful to get some people who really care about the characters and aren't out to just do a quick cash-in.

They need to cast some actresses who can be athletic and carry themselves in the spirit of the character.

I have no idea about the presumed ages of the characters-- but it should be character appropriate for each.

Felicia should be the "honorable thief"-- not the wannabe Mob boss that she is now.

Silver should be a global private investigator.

Considering both of these characters are platinum blonde (whether dyed or not, in-universe), that's a first for two leads.

Last edited:
Marvel Studios really needs to get Kevin Feige involved in some capacity with these films and declare them canon. Partially for quality reasons, partially so they don't have issues with multiple film series with multiple continuities.

Would it really be an issue for some folks if these films weren't in the MCU, especially if they turn out to be good?

I mean, come on, who had Black Cat and Silver Sable anywhere near the top of their list of Spider-Man related characters they anticipated or hoped to see on a movie screen anytime soon? Whether in the MCU or otherwise.

Couldn't care less unless they are tied into the MCU at this point. Sony just wants to have their cake and eat it too, and I don't think it will bode well for them.

Would it really be an issue for some folks if these films weren't in the MCU, especially if they turn out to be good?

I really don't see their arguments. They act like two of the same properties can't coexist when we've had multiple Quicksilvers, two James Bond films (both lead by different actors) in the same year, etc. etc. Why exactly can't their be another Peter Parker by a different studio in a supporting/minor role? Comic books have multiple universes, different writers, different takes on the same character all for different kinds of readers. I fail to see why they can't at least attempt a same approach in their films -- especially if it'd turn out to be a success.

The MCU can't handle every single Marvel property so I welcome other studios using characters we otherwise wouldn't see in the MCU. If Marvel had the rights to all of their characters, do people really think we'd see a Black Panther movie? An Ant-Man movie? Of course not! Marvel would be focusing on their most iconic and recognizable properties, i.e. Spidey, F4, X-Men, Avengers, etc. all first and foremost with the other properties being relegated to TV, Netflix, etc.

People only take issue with a Venom film and Black Cat/Sable film because they think it would damage the brand based on Sony's recent track record when it could actually be a good thing if it's successful. Either way, regardless on how the films do (and if they even see the light of day), this does nothing to damage or sour the MCU -- specifically its Spider-Man.

The idea of having two Quicksilver's was so stupid that Marvel immediately killed their version off. They'll feel the same about Venom and Black Cat, thus we won't get either in the MCU.

Yeah, I don't see them in the MCU for the foreseeable future. Even if these movies don't get made, that they're in development will be enough.

I just don't happen to care, because I'm not enthusiastic about Homecoming, anyway. I have no problem giving this a chance.

After the Amazing Spider-Man series, my trust in Sony to make a good comic movie is pretty low. That and I don't see how Black Cat and Silver Sable would work well as a team. One is a thief, the other is a mercenary. The only thing they have in common is Spidey and looking good in tight clothing. I don't think they've ever even met in the comics. It's like Sony said "let's get a movie with two hot women in spandex" and then didn't put any more thought into it.

Well to be fair not just 2 hot women in tight clothes but their platinum blonde hair matches to at least aesthetically connect things together.:shrug:

Anyway, I suppose it could work if they treated Black Cat as Spiderman as the basis for Silver Sable interacting with her. Therefore, looking at the comics interaction of Silver Sable and Spiderman it would simply be Black Cat sort of serving the role Spiderman otherwise would in a teamup sort of film.

I do think it would make more sense to do a Silver Sable and the WildPack sort of film with an 80's vibe but I hope they make a decent movie with adequate story potential and depth to it. Wait and see is where I'm at with it as am glad an attempt is being made on some more obscure characters nobody has gotten to see yet. I remember seeing both these characters in the comics. I always thought Silver Sable would be able to hold a solo film as she had her own comic, a team, a potentially visually interesting Eastern European country she represents, and sort of a mercenary/diplomat kind of job that keeps her busy.

Black Cat is interesting too but definitely is more connected to Spiderman and perhaps a bit harder to create a movie around just by herself from what I can see.

Last edited:

I mean, come on, who had Black Cat and Silver Sable anywhere near the top of their list of Spider-Man related characters they anticipated or hoped to see on a movie screen anytime soon? Whether in the MCU or otherwise.

I've always wanted to see Black Cat. She is one of those morally shaded characters with an intricate back story that presents quite a few possibilities for cinematic storytelling.

Hollywood Reporter‏ @THR
Exclusive: Silver Sable & Black Cat's #SpiderMan spinoff has found its director—the 'Secret Life of Bees' filmmaker http://thr.cm/GvRwRX

sony is serious.very intresting.like with venom they have my attention now.

She's a good pick.

If development goes at the pace that Venom is now, this film will get an early 2019 release.

Weird that this is scheduled for release the same month as Venom though...

I'm conflicted. I love both characters and have wanted to see them appear in films for years now. And them playing off of each other could be interesting.

But it's weird to have their first appearances be in a film that's NOT connected to Spider-Man. That seems like something that you do later on imo.

I'm conflicted. I love both characters and have wanted to see them appear in films for years now. And them playing off of each other could be interesting.

But it's weird to have their first appearances be in a film that's NOT connected to Spider-Man. That seems like something that you do later on imo.

i agree.crazy thing if both this and venom without spidey.

Is this one film? I thought all this time when they talked about a Black Cat/ Silver Sable spinoff that they weren't sure which one they'd go with or were going to do either of them separately. Now it seems that it is one movie with one director.

That's an interesting choice for a director. I've only seen Love and Basketball from her. In fact considering her prior work I'm wonder.... If... Nah that's a discussion for when that casting happens.

Weird that this is scheduled for release the same month as Venom though...

I think that's a flub on THR's part since none of the other trades mention a release date.

No way would Sony release Venom and Silver & Black on October 2018. Both would cannibalize each other.

Another great nab for Sony. :up: I hope this universe is successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"