1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Black Lightning Black Lightning General Discussion

Discussion in 'Past DC TV Series' started by Maze, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

They definitely should've branched out and brought in Roulette instead of using Lala for this underground fight club.

2. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I really do like the counselling segments of the show. Much stronger than Flash's attempts at marriage counseling. Nice to see Lala interact with Jeff again.

3. NotNickFury Registered

For all of my issues with the DCCW shows and their easy drama, Jefferson and Lynn's argument in yesterday's episode felt very raw and rough. Very real. The polar opposite of the drama in Sunday's Batwoman episode. It felt like that argument was on the verge of getting physical.

Lencho01 and Sithborg like this.
  4. Sithborg Gundam Utena

It was a very good scene. Its always been a little tough to fully believe that Lynn and Jefferson split. But that scene really did make me believe that these two would get a divorce. This whole episode was filled with greatly acted, little emotional moments. I loved that little moment between Lala and Jefferson. Even though Lala is an absolute bastard, Jefferson still had a small impact on him. And I liked that bit of a call back to the pilot. And I love that Grace and Anissa aren't back to were they were before the coma. And Anissa having issues getting back into relationship mode. Between the bar and what is going on with Jennifer, I like and believe how Jefferson is going to suit up again.

"Chocolate covered Incredibles" was a good line.

Lencho01 likes this.
  5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Ok normally I wouldn't think twice that Jennifer will be back, but I know the actress wanted to leave the show early, so please tell me that's not how she goes out?

6. Sithborg Gundam Utena

Seems unlikely.

flickchick85 likes this.
  7. SV Fan Registered

So they brought in a new actress to play that role?

8. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

No, she got a reduced episode count so they had to find a way to get her out of the show to accomodate that.

Edit: oh you were tlaking about this episode.....yeah just finished it. WTH

But hey! off screen Flash crossover.

#1008 Primal Slayer, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Sithborg and flickchick85 like this.
  9. SV Fan Registered

Yeah I came here after I watched the episode and was like that is weird then I hear the actress wants to leave and I put one and one together(or at least thought I did). I guess no rumors or spoilers out their they are switching actresses. It actually wouldn't be that bad an excuse to switch an actress, it's better then just replacing them and acting like nothing is different

10. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Welp. That's one way to go I guess, lol.

I'm surprised we never heard about someone new being cast.

Sithborg likes this.
  11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

No one, including the network is really watching out for this show lol. Not to mention this was all done in studio.

12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah but surely she'll...go outside eventually? Unless she never wears Jen's uniform (because then she'd look like any other guest star), seems crazy this didn't get out. But yeah, I guess not a lot of people are looking out. If this were shot in Vancouver I think it would have, though.

13. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The new actress is so much taller than Nafessa, its definitely going to change up the big sister/little sister dynamic

Also its strange the official Twitter/IG accounts are addressing this. And do they plan on changing up the poster?

14. batdude Registered

Yeah. this was from left field. and really kind of insulting to China.

15. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I have to assume that when they went over episode count w/her she wasn't willing to do more than 4 episodes which put them in a bind and they weren't ready to say goodbye to the character.

Ive seen people say that she clashed w/Cress and got into a habit of being late so that could also play into it.

But its sad since this new actress gives off different vibes. But we'll see how it goes. Just sucks that its the last season.

16. NotNickFury Registered

The fact that they lingered so long without showing Jennifer should've been the indication that it wouldn't be China Anne McClain. Still an odd way to write her off of the show for this recast. Though in the back of my mind, even though it wouldn't happen, I sort of hoped that it would be Anna Diop's Starfire and she'd just be confused about where the hell she was.

Also, yeah, that Central City/Flash shoutout was just ridiculous. That's the equivalent of that episode of Luke Cage. When Luke asked Misty if she still had Danny's number and to call him, because they needed a favor. So you might think you're going to see Danny in the very next episode, but no. It's just to use a Rand building.

17. batdude Registered

Yeah, Some of that gossip might be true. This reminded me of when Michael Rosenbaum left Smallville. same vibe anyway.

18. wwkirk Registered

Normally, I am bothered when a main character leaves, is killed off, or recast. But it's hard to get emotional over a new Jennifer when the entire series will soon come to an end.

Primal Slayer likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne Registered

Got to admit the new Jennifer took me by surprise. I knew China was leaving/in less episodes so when she "died" last episode I assumed it was to write her out for a bit and then bring her back for the finale. Gonna be strange to have a new Jen for the last few episodes.

20. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I did not expect that. Well, at least Jenn is still around, in some form. I do like that they are acknowledging the issues that Anissa and Grace would have with their acellerated relationship.

"Fix my damn wall". I still love Tobias, so entertaining.

21. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The way they are handling the recast is chefs kiss. Something The Flash could do with Ralph but refuse to do.

Lencho01, Flash525 and Sithborg like this.
  22. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I like the new actress. She is doing a good job, and does a fairly good job of copying what China was doing for Jenn. I do find them constantly talking about how much taller she is kind of hilarious. Didn't even try to go with an actor to be similar to China's body type.

The no knock raid scene was good. Very good representation of the chaos, along with continuing to paint the police in the wrong. I was a bit surprised to see protest footage from the summer used, but I probably shouldn't have.

I find LaLa being in a slab of concrete carbonite way, way too hilarious and entertaining. I do find it interesting that of all the CW shows, Black Lightning is doing the most to try to reference the other shows, when it has the least ability to actually cross over due to being in Atlanta. I do hope the League shows up in Batwoman someday.

And look, finally a promo...

Lencho01 likes this.
  23. wwkirk Registered

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Laura Kariuki was able to reproduce China's inflection in portraying Jennifer. If she continues to perform well in this role, maybe she'll get to appear in Painkiller.

Lencho01 likes this.
  24. Sithborg Gundam Utena

I do miss the news interviews with community members, but youtube and tiktok videos will suffice for community reactions.

Lencho01 likes this.
  25. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Well...it looked pretty. It was very futuristic. But I cant go through a show watching Khalil talk to himself in his head space and I just dont find him interesting enough to support his own series.

They put Anissa/Grace in this episode just to sideline them. You do not sideline Anissa.

flickchick85 likes this.