Black Mirror (Science Fiction anthology TV Show)

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by chamber-music, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Persona

Persona Registered

Some clarifications on my previous post. The "permutations" thing can be misleading as I think it has been broken down that there are 250 different footage sequences--though I don't know if this accounts for the path-sensitive "back to Bandersnatch" montages, which might be algorithmic. If there are really millions of permutations, it would only relate to play-throughs where you constantly re-loop through the different decisions.

That said, I was still impressed by what they were able to pull off with this thing given that it is, in some ways, a bit of a prototype. While it does get very repetitive (inevitably, given how it is constructed) and its limitations quickly become apparent, I was still impressed by the relative smoothness and pace of the experience and there were legitimately several moments where I was kind of blown away by the subtle differences between certain paths and then the way the experience recognizes its own variations. And while it's a pretty short path, I have to continue to reiterate that I did like the core narrative that ends up at "O Superman"--kind of wish that had been one of the longest paths as opposed to one of the shortest.

The Pearl ending follows through more on the different story threads and the meta nature of the whole thing, so I thought that was the second most satisfying ending out of a bunch of endings that are sort of intentionally unsatisfying and meant to loop you back through this sort of Sisyphean maze that Brooker set up to taunt you--but, partly as a a result of its own extremely meta nature, the Pearl ending lacks in any sort of emotional resonance. Through just a few key aesthetic choices that "O Superman" ending manages to make something moving and bittersweet out of a pretty brief and minimal plot and an ending that could have been really bleak. It feels like the one time that Brooker/Slade allows some sort of "out," and there is a beautiful peace about it. Again, if "O Superman" had been set up at the end of one of the longer story paths (if you can look at it that way--it could take you a long time to get to "O Superman" depending on what choices you make), it might have done a lot for my final estimation of this as a narrative experience.

2. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

I got the PAC ending (which I think is the same as the "kill dad" ending), two Netflix endings, and what appeared to be a "hard" ending where Stefan goes back in time and dies on the train with his mom. I'm not sure how many other permutations there are; if I go back I'll need to use a guide.

3. Persona

Persona Registered

Lencho01 likes this.
  4. samsnee

samsnee Ok

This just sounds like too much work to watch one “movie”. Generally because of my schedule I can only watch 30-40 minutes at a time before having to do something else. The idea I have to remember what decisions I made in order to get all the endings makes me not want to start at all.

5. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

This was a lot of fun for me.

I got the Pearl ending, the Netflix/fight ending, the break the fourth wall and reveal the film set ending, the government conspiracy ending, the one where he gets on the train, and the one where he kills Colin. I think that's it....there were a lot, lol. My faves were definitely both branches of the Netflix option, but I also really enjoyed the bit where Colin's advising him on how to murder him. :funny:

6. jmc

jmc away for a while

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't
    The Netflix ending with it being revealed to be the actors shooting the scene technically be breaking the fifth wall?

7. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

We are all Stefan.

8. antsman41

antsman41 Belongs To Prince

My favorite ending was the Butterfly Effect style one.

9. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

10. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

Yep, I suppose that would be accurate.

11. Kane52630

Kane52630 Electroma User

12. Kane52630

Kane52630 Electroma User

13. Lencho01

14. Lencho01

15. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Sounds like a stupid thing to be able to copyright but of course in America, stupid copyrights are often legal. Hope Netflix wins because this shouldn't be copyrightable.

Erik20 and Flash525 like this.
  16. Monsieur Xavier

Monsieur Xavier Recycled

Reading the article and the comments, it is not a copyright but a trademark issue.
    Netflix is being sued for using the trademarked "Choose your Own Adventure" name in the movie without permission.

17. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Still a shaky but less controversial argument.

18. MaceB

MaceB Registered

Yeah, they may have to pay for that one. Surprising that their lawyers didn't pick it up.

19. Lencho01

20. Persona

Persona Registered

How sad that the best ending is the least chosen one.

21. Pennywise

Pennywise Registered

I Am The Knight likes this.
  22. James.B

James.B In search of the absurd

23. terry78

terry78 Saturday night special

24. harlequinade

harlequinade The May Queen

Hopefully this is much better than that dull interractive episode

25. scarlet-witch

scarlet-witch Stormborn

I need something to get the bad taste of Bandersnatch out of my mouth. This looks promising (aside from Miley, which I have low expectations for)