Black Mirror (Science Fiction anthology TV Show)

Favourite episodes of S4:
1. Hang the DJ
2. USS Callister
3. Black Museum
4. Crocodile
5. Metalhead
6. Arkangel

For me it's...

USS Callister
Black Museum
Hang the DJ
Crocodile
Metalhead
Arkangel

I liked Callister but didn’t understand why Daly didn’t have more power in Infinity. He seemed omnipotent but still needed a ship to catch up to them?

Not having seen it yet myself I can still say it definitely is going on the reviews.

Black Museum had so many easter eggs.

Rolo Haynes had a Faustian vibe.

I liked how in the end of USS Callister
the game without the Space Fleet mod resembled the JJ Abrams version of Trek on that bridge set (complete with lens flare like effects)

Last edited:
That was apparently Aaron Paul’s voice at the end. Kirsten Dunst also had a walk-on cameo. She’s dating Jesse Plemons.

I liked Callister but didn’t understand why Daly didn’t have more power in Infinity. He seemed omnipotent but still needed a ship to catch up to them?

I mean, there wasn't a hard and fast list of rules that's exposited in the episode. He must have wrote the code for the game with certain limitations in place.

Speaking of which, he seemed to [BLACKOUT]either die or go into some kind of coma[/BLACKOUT] at the end. It's kind of implied [BLACKOUT]his mind was locked in the game and he couldn't escape it[/BLACKOUT].

Just started the show and saw the first episode. Boy the pig scene didn't sit well with me.

Just started the show and saw the first episode. Boy the pig scene didn't sit well with me.

It's never sat well with me which is why I have always skipped that episode when rewatching the series.

Watched USS Callister and Crocodile last night. Both were excellent. Crocodile was dark af.

It's never sat well with me which is why I have always skipped that episode when rewatching the series.

Gonna give the rest of the season a go though. Should still be good

I always tell people to skip the first episode. It's not the best one to show off what the show is actually about.

I only got a couple more to watch, but so far...

USS Callister - 10/10
Crocodile - 9/10
Hang the DJ - 8/10
Arkangel - 8/10

I always tell people to skip the first episode. It's not the best one to show off what the show is actually about.

Yeah, I feel like it doesn't fit with the rest of the show. I have no idea why they chose to start the series off that way.

I don't think that sits well with most people. Like others here, I usually tell people to skip the first ep as it's not very representative of the rest of the show at all, imo.

Metalhead was pretty gripping and interesting. I know the intent was to create a pretty simple and straightforward narrative for this episode, but I do kind of wish it was fleshed out a bit more.

Since this season solidifies that most BM episodes are "connected" and are technically part of the same universe, I would like to have learned more about what's going on in Metalhead in terms how it relates to the rest of the "Black Mirror universe" and timeline.

I loved all the implied story in Metalhead. Stuff like the dead couple in the house or the mention that the "dogs" killed all the pigs. It's a great exercise in minimalistic storytelling.

According to Charlie Brooker, in an early draft the dogs were actually controlled by someone.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/12/29/black-mirror-metalhead-interview/
You never filled in questions such as: How did the robots take over? Is anybody controlling them? Did you figure that out and is there any backstory you can share?
We sort of deliberately decided not to flesh out a lot of the backstory. Originally in my first draft, we also showed a human operator operating the dog robot from across the ocean at his house. There was a bit I liked where he leaves the [control unit] while the robot is watching her while she’s up in the tree and he goes and gives his kids a bath. But it felt a bit weird and too on-the-nose. It kind of felt superfluous. We deliberately pared it back and did a very simple story.
So maybe the episode was originally going to be a critique on drone warfare.

I loved all the implied story in Metalhead. Stuff like the dead couple in the house or the mention that the "dogs" killed all the pigs. It's a great exercise in minimalistic storytelling.

Absolutely. The fact that it left me wanting more is a compliment, rather than a slight against it.

From favorite to least:

1. Crocodile
2. Hang the DJ
3. Metalhead
4. Arkangel
5. Black Museum
6. USS Callister

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"