Black or African American. Which do you prefer, Brothas and Sistas of the Hype?

I've never seen a yellow person....

My great grandmother was Cherokee, but I don't remember her being red in pictures...

As far as hispanics, some are as light skinned as I am, and if you want to get technical, then we should call all the people that get the cheap fake tans, orange....:yay:

That's kind of the point though isn't it?

Are all whites the same shade? No. Some have more color than others.

Blacks as well... Some might be the color of charcoal but others have a mixed heritage and have lighter pigment.

Yet there is no difference noted, people still say white or black.

Only with those groups though. We don't see that with indians, asians, hispanics, etc... Not known by specific color as a race type.

I have a friend born and raised in South Africa... descended from "European" settlers he just got his American citizenship...

think about it

Just call me Jigaboo Pickaninny, and I'll be fine.

I have a friend born and raised in South Africa... descended from "European" settlers he just got his American citizenship...

think about it
The Charlize Theron definition of African American.

the problem that i have with this is the fact that all the non-white races want to be called something politically correct, but whites don't have to be.

when it comes to asians, or hispanics, or what have you, i always hear them complaining "i'm not chinese, i'm japanese", or "i'm not mexican, i portiguese", etc...

but nobody even tries to acknowledge that there are different types of white people.

i.e. people make assumptions about me because i am white - they automatically assume that i am racist, or my ancestry was involved in slavery, etc...

my heritage is irish... we were an oppressed group of people also.

but nobody cares about that. because i'm "white", therefore my heritage, and my ancestry doesn't matter. i'm just "white", and any kind of pride in my white ancestry gets me labeled as a racist or a bigot.

where as god forbid you label someone "asian", because all asian people are different. japanese people are different from chinese people are different from vietnamese people are different from korean people are different than laos people, etc...

but nope, white people don't deserve that kind of distinction. because, as the common excuse is, "every month is white history month", or "all tv is already 'white entertainment television'", etc...

whites aren't given the same "political correctness", or even respect, as other races, because we're white. our dfferences in our cultures don't matter, because our skin color is the same, so we're all white. we're all the same.

but mistake a chinese man for a japanese man, or a columbian man for a mexican man, and it's ****ing hell to pay.

the problem that i have with this is the fact that all the non-white races want to be called something politically correct, but whites don't have to be.

when it comes to asians, or hispanics, or what have you, i always hear them complaining "i'm not chinese, i'm japanese", or "i'm not mexican, i portiguese", etc...

but nobody even tries to acknowledge that there are different types of white people.

i.e. people make assumptions about me because i am white - they automatically assume that i am racist, or my ancestry was involved in slavery, etc...

my heritage is irish... we were an oppressed group of people also.

but nobody cares about that. because i'm "white", therefore my heritage, and my ancestry doesn't matter. i'm just "white", and any kind of pride in my white ancestry gets me labeled as a racist or a bigot.

where as god forbid you label someone "asian", because all asian people are different. japanese people are different from chinese people are different from vietnamese people are different from korean people are different than laos people, etc...

but nope, white people don't deserve that kind of distinction. because, as the common excuse is, "every month is white history month", or "all tv is already 'white entertainment television'", etc...

whites aren't given the same "political correctness", or even respect, as other races, because we're white. our dfferences in our cultures don't matter, because our skin color is the same, so we're all white. we're all the same.

but mistake a chinese man for a japanese man, or a columbian man for a mexican man, and it's ****ing hell to pay.

:whatever:thanks for those wonderful baseless generalizations....

:whatever:thanks for those wonderful baseless generalizations....

i have never once had somebody take into consideration what kind of "white" i am. i'm labeled a "white boy", as if there is absolutely no difference between any of the white cultures, and that we are ALL the same.

i have witnessed people of other races getting pissed off when they are called mexican, but they are really columbian, or being called vietnamese, when they are laos.

it's not a generalization, when i am saying i have seen this thing. and it's certainly not baseless when i.have.seen.it.

White people would probably have racial distinctions in the US if you gave yourselves some. We didn't label you white. You did that yourselves, to separate you from us dirty coloreds*. Back in the 19th century, white people in America really did make distinctions between themselves. Hell, there was a time when an Irishman couldn't get a job in the US. The descendants of English settlers (be they businessmen, tax evaders, or those damn Puritans) were the only ones who considered themselves "true Americans."

Then somewhere toward the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries, with all these colored folk running around (Mexicans from annexed territory, freed black slaves, Chinese migrant workers who didn't go back), white people blurred their own racial lines. It was no longer Irish/English/French ancestry. It just became white. That trend continued throughout the 20th century.

*not saying that you call us "dirty coloreds." I'm using epithets to make a point. Don't worry. Be happy.

*not saying that you call us "dirty coloreds." I'm using epithets to make a point. Don't worry. Be happy.

i understood the effect you were trying to use =)

it seems like both whites and blacks get lumped together in a big, general group.

i don't hear **** about irish heritage, german heritage, english heritage, scottish heritage, etc...

same way i don't hear anything about different cultures and heritage for people from niger, or somalia, or south africa, or madagascar, or what have you. the only african country that is recognized as it's own culture seems to be egypt.

my point really, is just i don't like the double standards.

the points AGAINST calling people african-americans are true. but the biggest to me is that you can't call someone "black", but it's okay to call a white person "white". if we can be "white", then you can be "black". if you're going to be "african american", then we have to be "european american".

but it's pointless anyways, because like was said earlier, not all black people are from africa, and not all black people live in america.

If it makes you feel any better, 32 of the 37 voters in this poll clearly don't mind being called black.

i never really got the whole 'african american' thing... i mean, my ancestors are from ireland and norway, but i'm not norwegian or irish-american, now am i?

no, i'm just white.

i say unless you're born in africa, you're not really an african-american.
yeah....'specially if you meet someone directly from the motherland (Africa being the original motherland for us all, if you will)

Either or doesn't matter........

however.....................

I did have an elderly gentlemen tell me I reminded him of another wonderful colored lady...............

ok, he had to be 70 if he was a day....but colored?:oldrazz:

EDIT

Ehhh... nevermind. I linked a clip from the movie Clerks 2, but I don't want to get probanned because of its language.

Black.

African-American designates nationality. Charlize Theron is African-American, because she was born in Africa. Black people are black people, just like white people are white people. There is no mythical land called Caucasia, so white people shouldn't have a special ethnicity of "Caucasian." You might as well call every other white person "Irish-Italian-Dutch American," etc.

Black.

African-American designates nationality. Charlize Theron is African-American, because she was born in Africa. Black people are black people, just like white people are white people. There is no mythical land called Caucasia, so white people shouldn't have a special ethnicity of "Caucasian." You might as well call every other white person "Irish-Italian-Dutch American," etc.

Actually, there is......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_of_the_Caucasus

and its not mythical.....
:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back