Black or African American. Which do you prefer, Brothas and Sistas of the Hype?

You know to be honest no one's opinion matters. The FACT is that black does not describe african americans at all. If you're referring to someone of african decent you should just say it.

Before anyone tries to comment....type in Mr.Popo in google. People of Indian decent can be very dark as well.

Under no circumstances should a dark-skinned character from a Dragonball series ever be used as an example for anything. I'm 90% sure Akira Toriyama, having never seen a dark-skinned person in his life, used old American "blackface" cartoons as an inspiration for Mr. Popo.

Same with whatever ass-hat drew the African character from Cyborg 009...

^I'm saying. We always have the most outlandish looks in anime. Until like the late 90s when they started actually drawing them normally. The afro-centric female bounty hunter in Cowboy Bebop was a good design.

^I'm saying. We always have the most outlandish looks in anime. Until like the late 90s when they started actually drawing them normally. The afro-centric female bounty hunter in Cowboy Bebop was a good design.

or Afro samurai.

Wow you guys totally missed the point. (I have to really stop joking in threads)....ignore the popo thing. What I'm saying is: Calling a race by color is wrong. Asian people are not yellow. I have never seen a person that was yellow. If you're referring to tan, then that's still wrong because I'm not phillipino. Black people aren't black....I've seen "black" people who were lighter toned than middle eastern people. White people could refer to japanese, their skin be paler than a european's or caucasian.

I wonder if it has to do with people being too lazy to say or type african-american or caucasian.

American seems to work fine for me... I was born here, not Africa. Black also works for me as well... it's just that there are "Black" people from countless other countries and cultures. Take Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico, or Germany for instance... people of African Descent in those countries are simply described as Brazilian, Venezuelan, Mexican, German - all without adding "African" to the beginning.

A Caucasian from a place like South Africa has more right to be identified as African-American than I do... but don't they call them Afrikaan or some dumb *****? Ahhh hell, most people in America who are of African descent don't know their "true" ethnic composition anyway. We were just allowed to have birth certificates within the last 150 years or so... the "powers that be" kept our history a mystery... <<< I made a rhyme there. :yay:

I'm not "black" but "black" doesn't really work because "black" people aren't really black.. (Except Wesley Snipes, Brother is blacker than dirt.) Why can't we just American? I mean, we're all Americans, why single a group out just because they're a different shade?

African-American isn't about the color, it's about the culture. We went from property to ******s to coloreds to negroes to afro-americans to african-americans. A lot of us are still confused to be honest.

I'm writing a thesis paper on Langston Hughes right now, and I'm using African American just so I won't get a low grade on my paper for being politically incorrect. I doubt it'd lower my grade, but I just would rather be safe than sorry.

Call them "Nubian Gods and Godesses" ;)

I'm not "black" but "black" doesn't really work because "black" people aren't really black.. (Except Wesley Snipes, Brother is blacker than dirt.) Why can't we just American? I mean, we're all Americans, why single a group out just because they're a different shade?

When they do the "be on the lookout for a white male, ages 30 to 45, wearing etc.", would you prefer white to be substituted for black, brown, dark skinned, African-American, or what?

I was never keen on hyphenated terms like African-American. Far as I'm concered if you live in a certain country then you're American or European etc.

I hate when people always want some special term to decribe themselves...it's utter BS in my opinion. Though I have no problem with people of any Race, Creed, Religion etc.. being proud of their heritage and so on.

..but that's just me.

...but as Redmarvel stated(even though It kind of goes against my views) I do agree that race description along with other descriptions is kind of necsessary for identifying suspects/criminals on the loose.

I saw Caucasian mentioned....

Where in the world is Caucasia?:huh: .........maybe it's off the coast of Australia

I like how half of the people that voted in the poll aren't even black.

Under no circumstances should a dark-skinned character from a Dragonball series ever be used as an example for anything. I'm 90% sure Akira Toriyama, having never seen a dark-skinned person in his life, used old American "blackface" cartoons as an inspiration for Mr. Popo.

Same with whatever ass-hat drew the African character from Cyborg 009...

I was telling my friend that the very 1st time I saw Mr Popo, I'm like wtf ..this show is racist. I was really upset..i still get a lil pissed to this day :cmad:

So Cauc means west? Cauc-asian, Asian, Northasian and then Indian people could be Indasian and then africans could be Afrasians. I like this set up. From now on everything is based off of asia!

There...it's settled. No more questions. Mods, you can close this now. (Please? I want to be the final word....:()

It is easy to just say black or white even though most are either brown or tan or whatever.It just rolls of the tongue easier. I don't think someone should be called asian-american , african-american , to me that seems like singling someone out and it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"