Black Panther (2018) vs The Dark Knight (2008)

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by LvtLeeTDK, Feb 23, 2018.

?

Which movie is better ?

1. Black Panther

2. The Dark Knight

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Adhesive Boy

Adhesive Boy Well-Known Member

That it is. :)

2. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Hmm, hopefully the heya can do something Namor? The last few comic stories I have read where BP was heavily involved, him and BP always seemed to have a deep rivalry.

You may be onto something in that since becoming part of Disney the sequels have improved. Hopefully BP2, Spidey 2 and Doc Strange 2 can all improve on their predecessors.

Ant Man and The Wasp as well of course, liked the first movie a lot personally so looking forward to that one.

3. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

Luckily, I can avoid those threads altogether and just roll my eyes if/when they do appear.

4. The Batman

The Batman The Dark Knight

BP can't even beat TWS in its own forum, it definitely ain't beating TDK.

BP2 will most likely not be as good as the first.

5. Hammer!

Hammer! Well-Known Member

Gunna be hard when they already used up his top three villains in the first film.

6. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

I voted for the Dark Knight, for whatever reason that movie resonates with me more.

Saw BP this morning, and watched TDK yesterday, so I can make a reasonable comparison. While TDK wins, BP is a terrific film in its own right- great action, good performances, a decent storyline, and a hint of politics.

I've put my review in spoiler tags, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'm interested at some of the lack of reaction down here - the media haven't really picked up on the "colonizer" comment - colonisation is a dirty word in New Zealand, and still a very contentious subject.

Anyway, I give this one a 9/10. The story has a lot of familiar notes, but it felt like a fresh take on them.

It's got a lot going for it, and kind of felt like the Lion King, meets Star Wars meets Captain America the Winter Soldier.

The performances were strong. Boseman was strong, but sympathetic in the lead, Jordan was a terrific, if a little underused, villain - and Andy Serkis was great manic fun.

The female characters were also very strong - something that hasn't been well-done in cbms.In fact the supporting cast was really strong all around - not a bad performance I could think of.

Where does it fit in with the other MCU films ? Good question, definitely one of the strongest solo films.

If I had to rank the top 5 MCU films I would have to go with:

1. GOTG
    2. CA TWS
    3. Civil War
    4. Black Panther
    5. Thor: Ragnarok

I feel that Iron Man has better development for the lead, but BP has a stronger supporting cast.

I feel like Civil War and TWS's action scenes had a bit more tension - and the stakes felt higher, which is weird - the final showdown in BP was pretty intense, but somehow I never felt that BP was not going to come out on top.
    Of course we know the hero always wins, but really well done films make us suspend that knowledge and get genuinely excited.

If I had any gripe, it might be the Wakanda was a bit too Utopian - other than that changes of leadership were determined by ritual combat, but that's a very small gripe.

However, this film had some of Marvel's best villains thus far. I really rate Michael B Jordan, (loved Creed), it's a shame they killed him off - and Andy Serkis was enjoyable, shame they killed him off too. I feel like they chewed up the two best villains in the first film - so they'll have to really reach in the sequels.

All in all a really strong MCU film.

7. DX

DX YES! YES! YES!

The one that always wins these polls. :o

8. LvtLeeTDK

LvtLeeTDK Well-Known Member

Wow, don't expect this to be so clear like this. I thought with all the hypes and praises, Black Panther would be a serious contender for The Dark Knight.

9. michaelcard

michaelcard Member

Gotham city in Dark Knighth is always the best movie..

10. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Not many CBMs do well against TDK, even the likes of CW and Logan were well beat.

11. Lantern Venom

Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

This one is about as close as two movies get. When I think about the two headlining characters in each film, I have to give a slight edge to T'Challa over Batman, while Joker tops Killmonger. Both have excellent wild card characters in Harvey Dent and M'Baku. Both expertly executed storylines where the hero's closest confidant (Gordon and Okoye) were caught between the imperative of his/her job and loyalty to the hero. Both had intricate weaponry and gadgets that were essential to their respective films.

So how did I choose? It was similar to picking a winner in a basketball game where the starting 5 are about even as well as the first 3 guys off the respective benches. Then I realized that Black Panther did a little better at making memorable minor characters like N'Jobu and W'Kabi when pitted against characters like The Chechen and Maroni.

12. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

I don't think they're even close. M'Baku had some funny lines, but he doesn't rival Dent's storyline. The ending alone trumps any scene M'Baku was in.

13. Lantern Venom

Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I'd have to disagree there. Everything in the narrative of Black Panther hinged on the scene with the White Gorilla Cult in the mountains. That scene doesn't carry nearly the weight that did if Winston Duke didn't pull off the complex motivations of M'Baku. On top of being menacing and contemplative, he managed to be funny as well. I'd rank him near the top of greatest supporting villains in CBMs.

14. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I'd have to agree with Greens here. M'Baku was fine, an interesting supporting character but Harvey Dent was basically at the heart of the Dark Knight's story. Plus, I found Eckhart gave a better performance.

15. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

M'Baku was really good but I wouldn't call him outstanding. However, I just don't buy Two-Face in the tone that TDK has so M'Baku takes it for me.

16. Kevin Roegele

Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

It's no insult to Black Panther to say The Dark Knight is a better film. It's like saying a basketball player isn't as good as Michael Jordan.

17. Neptune

Neptune Uchiha

How is this even a question? TDK all the way!

18. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

Harvey Dent is a tragic character that the whole film hangs on. M'Baku gets to steal a scene or two and is otherwise just the flashy "We're not going to help" and then at the last minute he helps character. I like him, he did the part well, but one is arguably a protagonist for his film, and the other is a variation on Éomer from The Two Towers (who isn't exactly someone folks talk about in that film a whole lot).

19. Greens

Greens I am Danny DeVito

At least M'Baku was better than Karl Urban's character in Thor: Ragnarok :o

20. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I mean. I'd say they're comparable, but he does have the "Not another word or I'll feed you to my children. I'm just kidding, we're vegetarians." So that probably gives him the slight edge. I will say Éomer and Gandalf's ride into Helm's Deep (which is not exactly original either) probably trumps M'Baku's surprise attack. But both are pretty awesome.

21. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

I think the point here is probably that nothing is ever going to beat The Dark Knight. It’s still the only ‘comic book superhero’ movie that’s widely considered a serious piece of cinema. And with good reason. BP is great, but narratively it’s a pretty standard comic book movie, when you get right down to it.

22. Samuron

Samuron Reprint

Just finally saw Black Panther, and it confirms it. Far better, for me, than The Dark Knight.

23. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

The Dark Knight

24. Chesterfield

Chesterfield Well-Known Member

TDK is the 2 eyed man amongst a group of one eyed and blind men and even then it still needs contact lenses. It obviously stands out like a star player.

However, BP came out with excellence covering a good 97% of every facet. NO wins for me.

25. epicfurball

epicfurball Well-Known Member

Tdk > bp > bb > tdkr