Sequels Black Panther Solo Film!

DrCosmic

Professor of Power
Reaction score
Anyone ready for this? I've been hoping for one for a while! Here's the last news we have, about a writer/director being hired:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/114081-marvel-studios-hires-black-panther-writer

I'm hoping it'll be set in Wakanda, and kinda mirror the original Jungle Action miniseries with Klaw and M'Baka (kinda like the Ultimate Avengers 2, but minus all the other Avengers) maybe work in Everett Ross as a diplomat or something.

What do you guys think/want?

I personally think it would be freakin epic but in order to work we need a great actor and not just any hack. I can't think of anybody that could pull off BP effectively. There are tons of african american actors that are very good in there craft but none I feel could pull off BP.

Have you ever heard of Chiwetel Ejiofor? or Djimon Honsou?
Heck... Will Smith? Denzel Washington?

I don't think there's anything about T'Challa that you can't find on these guys' filmographies.

I don't really think there are any hack black actors. The industry is just too competitive.

Have you ever heard of Chiwetel Ejiofor? or Djimon Honsou?
Heck... Will Smith? Denzel Washington?

I don't think there's anything about T'Challa that you can't find on these guys' filmographies.

I don't really think there are any hack black actors. The industry is just too competitive.

Chiwetel Ejiofor? No never heard of him. ( Or have I and just don't remember?) Djimon Honsou? I thought about him later after I typed that. I don't like Smith or Washington for the roles though as good as they are normally. Will Smith just seem too comedic to me and I just don't see Denzel in it.

I hear Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is going for the role and as far as Chiwetel Ejiofor, I looked him up and now recognize him. I agree both of them would be able. Not Will Smith

Always fancied Michael Jae White in the role personally. He'd actually love to star and direct as it happens

Scott Tre: If a major studio were to give you two hundred million dollars to make a movie and gave you complete creative control, what kind of movie would you make? What would be the ultimate Michael Jai White star vehicle?

Michael Jai White: If I had two hundred million I’d make like ten movies out of that (laughs). I would definitely make the Paul Robeson story. That would be my drama. I’d make Black Panther. I would do something with Black Panther that would make you forget about Batman. I guarantee you, if I got a chance to do Black Panther, everything would change. The genre would change.

http://www.**************.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=32309

That's pretty big words, actually makes me excited. I don't like White's acting per se, but he definitely has presence and all the physicality anyone could ask for. I'd enjoy him as Black Panther too, especially if some stars rallied around him.

What kind of story would you guys want to see. Set in Wakanda or New York? A story like the Black Panther cartoon, or more like the storyline in the latest Avengers cartoon or the Ultimate Avengers 2 cartoon... or something else from the comics? Or does it matter?

For reference:

Chiwetel Ejiofor (Serenity, Red Belt, Talk to Me, American Gangster, 2012, Salt, Rumored for the Part)
chiwetel-black-panther.jpg

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (LOST, Bourne Identity, GI Joe, The Thing, Rumored for the part)
adewale-akinnuoye-agbaje-black-panther.jpg

Djimon Hounsou (Amistad, Push, Blood Diamonds, voice Black Panther in cartoon, Gladiator)
djimon_hounsou_10.jpg

Michael Jai White (Spawn, The Dark Knight, Why Did I Get Married, Black Dynamite)
michael_jai_white_05.jpg

I've always hoped Chiwetel Ejiofor would play Black Panther.

Djimon Hounsou is too old but supporting roles would work fine. I think Hounsou would make a good T'Chaka.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje would make a good Erik Killmonger or Man-Ape.

Denzel Washington and Will Smith are not right for the role of Black Panther. Denzel is almost 60 years old.

This Wesley Snipes?

155490951.jpg

I think he might be a mite old.

So I guess I'm the only one who cares/knows about BP storylines around here? Oh well... :(

I feel like Marvel should go a similar route as with casting Thor for Black Panther. Get a lesser known guy and then surround them with a great cast and director.

For me, there's no better pick out there for Black Panther than Tongayi Chirisa.

258207.jpg

His biggest US role to date was as Friday in NBC's Crusoe. Here is a clip reel from that role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69FEC7HCbA

He fits Black Panther in the same way Hemsworth did for Thor. He has the right look, is the right age for a franchise, is African, and most importantly, is a good actor.

This Wesley Snipes?

155490951.jpg

I think he might be a mite old.

So I guess I'm the only one who cares/knows about BP storylines around here? Oh well... :(

Just old enough that he could play T'Challa's father, then he dies and passes Black Panther on haha. I doubt Marvel would get someone like Snipes for the movie though.

If Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje isn't chosen for T'Challa, I would love for him to play T'Challa's father. I believe he could play that role perfectly, just add some white hair to him.

I like tamron's idea of finding a relatively unknown for T'Challa.

I've said it numerous times but eh, why not again. BP could easily be Marvel's next trilogy. His story, villains and connection to the MU would never make the franchise feel old. IMO, his place in the movie world is already on a silver platter with a big "Make me" sign. It's all about pulling the trigger.

Vibranium obviously opens up the door but then there's the legend of the Black Panther and T'challa's place in the Avengers. He's a classic member and I've always said a scene with Cap remembering his father/grandfather in some fashion would make a great sense of continuity.

Then there's Wakanda. The most technological place in the world. Imagine the introduction to the audience of a place where the future ALREADY exists and ways of improving life and science continue to evolve under the watch of it's king as it has for generations. Potential is limitless and I'll cry if we ever get to see it.

It's simple and can be mapped out or even switched around.

BP1: Klaw
BP2: Man-Ape
BP3: Killmonger

And I do agree that if they go the origin route then someone like Chirisa would be a decent pick. Especially when showcasing T'challa's studies around the world and his eventual rise to the throne. Plus his age makes him perfect for when he's grown into the role of king as the movies progress.

I'd also like to point out that BP has a massive popularity with fans that only continues to grow. His latest series was a good hit before it's unfortunate cancellation and his animated series on BET was well received among the masses. You had tons of people up at 2am talking about it on twitter as it trended worldwide. Hopefully someone took note.

Make it happen Marvel.

^Here here, Lone Wolf.

For me I think
BP1: Klaw, Man-Ape, Mercs
BP2: Killmonger, Madame Slay, Mutates
BP3: Moses Magnum, Dr. Doom, Doombots

I feel like Marvel should go a similar route as with casting Thor for Black Panther. Get a lesser known guy and then surround them with a great cast and director.

For me, there's no better pick out there for Black Panther than Tongayi Chirisa.

His biggest US role to date was as Friday in NBC's Crusoe. Here is a clip reel from that role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69FEC7HCbA

He fits Black Panther in the same way Hemsworth did for Thor. He has the right look, is the right age for a franchise, is African, and most importantly, is a good actor.

Tongayi Chirisa, I like him. He'd be pretty cool. I'd like to see Aldis Hodge from Leverage take on the role for the same reason. Young, lesser known, so affordable and available, but still very talented. I also like his build and charisma more.

8x3k2t.gif

That's a nice breakdown Cosmic. A BP/Doom confrontation for the grand finale would be ideal, but not until Fox let's him and the FF go back to Marvel.

And Hodge is a definite choice to consider, good call. Age is on his side if they go the origin route and we're shown how T'Challa grows into the role of king like his father. I think he'd be great and already has a lot of support due to Leverage.

Last edited:

/snip/

/snip/

I agree. It needs to be done like Thor. Someone around 30, giving time to grow in sequels. Chirisa and Hodge are great choices IMO.

So we're pretty much agreed on that front? Good stuff.

Who do you guys think should/should not be in the supporting cast?
Obviously they'd have T'Chaka (who would you want for him?)

Everett Ross and Monica Lynne from Priest's run for an American connection?
Shuri, Ramonda, and Hunter for a family angle?
Would you cast as Klaw? What about his mercs? Names or just stuntmen?

Usually when they have a young protagonist like that in a superhero film they surround him with really high quality actors.

Oh, and if they don't have Doom for a threequel, assuming Black Panther's been on the Avengers, you can bring in just about anybody from one of his lesser knowns but very powerful enemies, like Achebe, to an Avengers villain like Graviton, Super Adaptoid or, who knows, the Skrull Invasion, depending on where the Avengers franchise is headed.

For Klaw if we're going for a big name (which I don't think is needed but this is the fun of discussion) then I'd go with Christoph Waltz or Viggo Mortensen.

Keep in mind that even though they're great actors who can play good villains I'm also choosing them because of the years that would pass between T'Challa witnessing his father's death as a child and then encountering Klaw again as a man. And I'm also sure they'd have no problem making either look young for a flashback sequence.

Djimon Hounsou for T'Chaka, Jason Isaacs as Ulysses Klaw, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Erik Killmonger.

I wouldn't have Ross in the first BP movie, I'd save him for a sequel as connective tissue to the rest of the MCU. Alan Tudyk comes to mind for that role, but not married to that idea.

Man, I love how you out the exclamation point in the title for emphasis.

Dang skippy! Lol...

Djimon Honsou - Yeah, if he's not BP (and he shouldn't be) he basically "has" to be T'Chaka. He brings credibility to the whole production, imho, as an actual experienced Panther (voicework) and a long time fancast to satisfy the fanboys. And people know who he is, so they'll be glad to see him on screen.

Jason Isaacs - Excellent! I was thinking about a bigger name villain character actor, and he's not afraid of comic book movies to boot! I like it! (Side Note: One day, I want to see all these typecast villains team up and be good guys, Hugo Weaving, Mark Strong, all those guys)

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje - Honestly, this guy can do anything. I don't think I'd want to see him as Killmonger, not sure why though. I guess I'll think about this. AAA needs a part in the franchise though.

Alan Tudyk - Oh my, that's pretty perfect. I think Ross works as the connection to the rest of the world, with the typical Nick Fury meeting as the connection to the MCU part of it. I personally thought someone younger for Ross, like a Shia Lebouf (minus the spasticness) or a Zac Efron (but a better actor).

A couple of my thoughts:

T'Chaka - Djimon Honsou
M'Baka - Terry Crews, use his comedic timing to make the villain a bit demented
Romonda (T'Challa's Step mom) - CCH Pounder
Shuri (T'Challa's Sister) - Keke Palmer, young enough to need direction
Nakia (Dora Milaje/Love Interest) - Kerry Washington, voiced Shuri in the cartoon, and has definitely got her African accent down... and she's gorgeous

And... for Klaw's mercs, though story may be too crowded for that, they're basically just stuntmen with acting experience, so tone them all down from comic book costumes and powers to skilled people in Klaw's employ:

Batroc the Leaper -> Georges Batroc (Bodyguard/Assassin): Cyril Raffeili (District 13)
Black Knight -> Father Augustine De Lac (Priest w/Concealed Blade): Ray Park
Rhino -> Aleksi Systevich (RHINO Loader operator): Vladimir Kozlov
Radioactive Man -> Igor Stanchek (Nuclear Physicist): ... drawing a blank. Anybody who can do a Russian accent...

Also, maybe not right for T'Challa, but someone overdue for a breakout role:
actor-anthony-mackie.jpg

Anthony Mackie, 33, (Real Steel, Adjustment Bureau, Hurt Locker, Eagle Eye... 8 Mile)

Last edited:
Actually, throw my suggestions for Klaw out the window. Isaacs would be great, good choice tamron. And I do agree that Hounsou as T'Chaka would be a nice nod to fans who wanted him as BP for so long...Also on page with AAA.

Aside from Hodge I actually would not mind Mackie for T'Challa. He and Renner are good friends stemming from their Hurt Locker days, so maybe Renner can put in a good word for him if BP were ever to show up. :awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"