Black Panther =the face of the Avengers going forward?

Probably depends on how long Evans is sticking around, and whether they give Cap a bit of a break as a character between re-casting.

MCU T'Challa's really been presented in that Steve Rogers-y mold, he's a little nicer, a little less ruthless (post-CW at least), more open to the rest of the world earlier in life than comics T'Challa.

So that's probably by design. Seems RDJ's probably out before too long, Hemsworth sounds a little over it. If Evans is moved to the background, then yeah, Boseman/T'Challa seems the natural fit to put front-and-center as "the man" going forward.

I can’t see T’Challa taking an active role in Avengers like Stark or Cap. He’s a king first so unless it’s something like IW, I don’t see him running around trying to stop HYDRA.

Yeah... I keep seeing fans claiming that this movie's huge success is proof that T'Challa is now an A-lister, and I don't know if that's really the case... if anything, I think the reaction to his character has been pretty lukewarm for the most part, at least outside of fan circles.

People love Wakanda. T'Challa is a big part of that so we will see some enjoy him later even if they do not now.

Yeah... I keep seeing fans claiming that this movie's huge success is proof that T'Challa is now an A-lister, and I don't know if that's really the case... if anything, I think the reaction to his character has been pretty lukewarm for the most part, at least outside of fan circles.

Nah. Lets remember that a lot of the hype surrounding BP started with T'Challa being a standout in Civil War. People loved him in that movie. Now he had to share the spotlight with some scene stealers in his own film but still, the character has undoubtedly become one of the most popular heroes in the MCU.

I'd like to see Black Panther, Spider-Man and Captain Marvel form the "trinity" of the next Avengers team. Black Panther has the resources, intelligence and wisdom, Spider-Man represents potential and keeps them grounded with regular people, and Captain Marvel brings the cosmic-level power and experience.

i do wonder what might have been if say BP underwhelmed. Like if it grossed say $700 million.

Would we see such bold statements about his place in the MCU?

Or was BP always the plan for the New Avengers regardless of how it did Box office wise?

700million isn't underwhelming. It's a number just a little over a month ago I would have thought we'd be lucky to get.

700million isn't underwhelming. It's a number just a little over a month ago I would have thought we'd be lucky to get.
this, if the movie had good reviews there would still be a discussion now that BP is all but destined to hit 1.2-1.3 Billi it's a necessity

i do wonder what might have been if say BP underwhelmed. Like if it grossed say $700 million.

Or was BP always the plan for the New Avengers regardless of how it did Box office wise?

Like a sports team, sometimes a draft pick takes off unexpectedly, so you build the club around him.

I don't know, but for a few years, people were talking about Doctor Strange being the next flagship franchise. Which shifted to Spider-MAn when he was announced for Civil War.

I don't see why anyone should be the designated "face" or "flagship", myself. Just let every property do their thing and let whoever shines shine.

I would point out, though, that for the longest time people would talk about how every movie RDJ was in made over a billion (not counting his first two solos), until Homecoming. As of pretty soon, the same will be true of BP. So more power to the king, I guess.

I don't know, but for a few years, people were talking about Doctor Strange being the next flagship franchise. Which shifted to Spider-MAn when he was announced for Civil War.

I don't see why anyone should be the designated "face" or "flagship", myself. Just let every property do their thing and let whoever shines shine.

I would point out, though, that for the longest time people would talk about how every movie RDJ was in made over a billion (not counting his first two solos), until Homecoming. As of pretty soon, the same will be true of BP. So more power to the king, I guess.

Fair point.

I think pretty commonly they might mean "face" as whose pushed to sell more tickets as well as of course, who may have a more integral plot in the film. So we'll see SpiderMan, BP, Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel and whoever is left of the current Avengers.

BP's box office standing boosts his chances of being a heavy hitter in the films and not "just shoehorned in" ala say a Hawkeye.

I am afraid (once watching finally BP) that while I understand why the movie gross so much, it is not due to BP itself. It is more the quality of formally supporting characters such as Nakia and Shuri. So - I am pretty sure that BP sequel make decent amount of money but I doubt that BP will become lead Avenger.

I am afraid (once watching finally BP) that while I understand why the movie gross so much, it is not due to BP itself. It is more the quality of formally supporting characters such as Nakia and Shuri. So - I am pretty sure that BP sequel make decent amount of money but I doubt that BP will become lead Avenger.

"a rising tide lifts all boats" :sly:

Prepare to be wrong.

tumblr_p6trv26VIr1v2lbnko7_1280.gif

Last edited:
Judging on this shot Cap and BW are equally important characters as M'Baku and Okoye... Note the difference between intents of the creators and marketing - clearly putting BP in front of IW marketing (following good reception of BP solo movie) and actual ability of CB to step into shoes of major players i.e. IM, Cap or Thor. I do not see that in CB performance so far. I may have change of mind while I see some interaction with other heroes though. What's funny, I find BP character in CW much better. BP from its solo movie is obviously overshadowed by his formally sidekicks companions i.e. all female leads - Shuri, Okoye and Nakia.

Judging on this shot Cap and BW are equally important characters as M'Baku and Okoye... Note the difference between intents of the creators and marketing - clearly putting BP in front of IW marketing (following good reception of BP solo movie) and actual ability of CB to step into shoes of major players i.e. IM, Cap or Thor. I do not see that in CB performance so far. I may have change of mind while I see some interaction with other heroes though. What's funny, I find BP character in CW much better. BP from its solo movie is obviously overshadowed by his formally sidekicks companions i.e. all female leads - Shuri, Okoye and Nakia.

On the one hand, he is overshadowed and that is a rare thing. On the other, I find that quite remarkable. His supporting characters are not one-dimensional at all. They are worthy of their screentime and make the most of it. It means we enjoy all scenes rather than just of the protagonist.

I do not say it's bad - it makes the solo flick more ensamble movie actually but it is risky move when it comes to "massive" movies - when the character needs to stick from the others. It is natural (since the IW important part takes place in Wakanda) that BP "crew" is more prominent in marketing but we will see though.

Last edited:
I do not say it's bad - it makes the solo flick more ensamble movie actually but it is risky move when it comes to "massive" movies - when the character needs to stick from the others. It is natural (since the IW important part takes place in Wakanda) that BP "crew" is more prominent in marketing but we will see though.

But does it? I think they will do more to fully flush out T'Challa and show more of why Black Panther rules. But I'm thankful we got to see why Wakanda was amazing and the extremely well written female characters. It was a gamechanger for that.

One thing that makes me nervous about the huge box-office of this movie is that Marvel might try to make Black Panther the face of the Avengers post-Phase 3 rather than Spider-Man (from what I gather the plan is to have Spider-Man replace Iron Man as the central figure of the MCU).

I haven't heard anything official about this, but it seems within the realm of plausibility. I just don't want to see Marvel change their plans for the sake of milking the success of Black Panther. Spider-man is pretty much Marvel's figurehead character, I feel like he needs to have the most important role moving forward.

Oh really? What's interesting is that after seeing the movie both me and my sister agreed that T'Challa was a good character, but that the supporting characters were a little weak. I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, I just kind of had the opposite opinion.

One thing that makes me nervous about the huge box-office of this movie is that Marvel might try to make Black Panther the face of the Avengers post-Phase 3 rather than Spider-Man (from what I gather the plan is to have Spider-Man replace Iron Man as the central figure of the MCU).

I haven't heard anything official about this, but it seems within the realm of plausibility. I just don't want to see Marvel change their plans for the sake of milking the success of Black Panther. Spider-man is pretty much Marvel's figurehead character, I feel like he needs to have the most important role moving forward.

Oh really? What's interesting is that after seeing the movie both me and my sister agreed that T'Challa was a good character, but that the supporting characters were a little weak. I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, I just kind of had the opposite opinion.

I'm sure Spider-Man will still be the prominent face, but maybe BP will be the co-lead. His film's success has drastically boosted his standing in the MCU. They'd be fools to downplay him going forward.

Spider-Man leading (or co-leading) the Avengers? No, thanks.

I'm sure Spider-Man will still be the prominent face, but maybe BP will be the co-lead. His film's success has drastically boosted his standing in the MCU. They'd be fools to downplay him going forward.

Yeah, I could see that, and I'd be onboard with it. As the king of Wakanda Black Panther could offer a lot of resources and knowledge to the team, so it makes sense that he'd be a prominent figure.

Spider-Man leading (or co-leading) the Avengers? No, thanks.

I don't know that he'll be leading them, at least not yet. Iron Man is currently the central and most important figure of the MCU, but I'm not sure I'd call him the leader of the Avengers. I think the idea is to have Spider-man take that basic role.

Spider-man is an interesting character to make the central character because there's a lot of development and change he can go through throughout the series. There are a lot of angles to his character. They can certainly do interesting things with Black Panther, but I feel like he wouldn't be quite as interesting as the central focus of the MCU.

Iron Man was the co-leader of the original Avengers and he's currently the leader of the "New Avengers"; so yeah, he plays a role that can't possibly be filled by Spider-Man, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to make a character who can only take orders the face of the team.

I guess they could make him the face of the entire MCU if they wanted, but I doubt they will because of the rights issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"