Black Panther The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt see a review thread so im puttin it here

Some thoughts:

-The movie was very good overall. The highlights for me included the supporting cast, (especially Okoye, Mbaku, and Shuri obv), Boseman was very good and regal AF, but he was perhaps a bit too reactive and got a bit swallowed up by the other wonderful performances.

-The visual design was another obvious highlight; the costuming, the set design, even the makeup and hairstyling. The only visual hiccup to me was some subpar CGI for Marvel; the first shot of warrior falls looked super fake, and the final battle between Panther and Killmonger was practically a video game. Luckily they were brief moments and didnt really impact my feelings about the movie.

-Killmonger, imo, was good, not great. All the talk of him being the best marvel villain is overstated. His motivations were understandable, but I still didnt feel he pulled off sympathetic as well as a Loki or Zemo, and he wasnt as pragmatic and calculated as someone like Pierce. Tonally he also felt out of place to me. Idk, he was a good villain, Id put him in the same villain tier with Hela (whom I also liked a lot but thought needed something more to really elevate it to the next level.)

-The themes were relevant and poignant, but I also thought there was a bit too much ‘telling’ rather than ‘showing’. Isolation vs Globalism is a complex and important conversation to have, but Id have liked to see more of the ramifications rather than hearing characters ruminate on the subject. It felt like lip service more than really diving into the subject... which I suppose is understandable, this IS an action flick, not a documentary.

-Serkis as Klaue was great
-Martin Freeman was also a very good outsider POV character
-The soundtrack felt more generic than I was expecting, thought it would have more flavor
-This film proves once and for all that Angela Basset was born to play Storm, Fox really f***ed that one up

So yeah overall, Id say it was a very good Marvel film, though not its best. Id put it in my Marvel Second Tier. But Ill also say seeing little black kids go running out of the theater super excited after the movie was great to see, its amazing that they have characters they can feel as connected to as us white folks have had for years, and I think thats part of why the reviews have been so resounding.

Therefore, Im currently rating it around 8.5/10

I just stuck the thread:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=539223&page=7

tumblr_p4eob9vZLW1w8xetso1_400.jpg

I honestly could watch the T'Challa/Shuri lab scene over and over. It was like out of a Bond movie but cooler.

Waiting outside the XD theater for the 10:05 showing. It's sold out for a morning show. I'm totally stoked. I would have been here a couple of days ago except someone in my family got sick. I wish they wouldn't do that. It makes things terribly inconvenient for me.

Edit. Awesome seat. Dead center and up close full on effects. :woo:

Last edited:
Waiting outside the XD theater for the 10:05 showing. It's sold out for a morning show. I'm totally stoked. I would have been here a couple of days ago except someone in my family got sick. I wish they wouldn't do that. It makes things terribly inconvenient for :woo:

Edit. Awesome seat. Dead center and up close full on effects.

Hope you enjoy it because you will definitely not be disappointed

Michelle Obama Verified account
@MichelleObama

Congrats to the entire #blackpanther team! Because of you, young people will finally see superheroes that look like them on the big screen. I loved this movie and I know it will inspire people of all backgrounds to dig deep and find the courage to be heroes of their own stories.

1:37 PM - 19 Feb 2018

Michelle Obama Verified account
@MichelleObama

Congrats to the entire #blackpanther team! Because of you, young people will finally see superheroes that look like them on the big screen. I loved this movie and I know it will inspire people of all backgrounds to dig deep and find the courage to be heroes of their own stories.

1:37 PM - 19 Feb 2018

Hell even the Former First Lady Michelle Obama loves this film...that just goes to show us just how much of an impact this film is not only making in the US but everywhere else on a much more global scale

Wow they even have Black Panther at Disneyland now...just when you think you have seen it all I am so glad well happy that they have included it into Disneyland

This movie figured out what to do when a hero is either too powerful or wears a suit that's invincible. [Blackout] Literally strip the powers away. [/blackout]

Plus the way they portrayed T'Challa in this film vs his performance in Civil War...I felt here in his solo outing I felt that he was more grounded that there was a certain added depth to his character showing his vulnerability

This movie has been a real money grab for Marvel...almost guarantees a sequel now

This movie has been a real money grab for Marvel...almost guarantees a sequel now

I would say that was a given - Ant Man, Dr. Strange, Panther, Captain Marvel - these are the franchises going forward...

Found the Black Panther dunk video from the other thread. :cool:
[YT]5mhvEzRR-mA[/YT]

Is this the first comic book movie to be serious as well as colorful and comic booky? It's usually one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"