Black Superheroes Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
am i the only one who doesn't see Spawn as a "black" hero?

Hes a dude whose GIMMICK was that he's black...but unless I missed something in the books and in the movie, he didn't deal with racial issues that would "identify" him as black.

I dunno, maybe part of the escapism in superheroes is that *minority character* lives in a world where his *race/sex/orientation* go unnoticed so he can focus on fighting crime. I have no idea if this is more or less appeal to *minority* audience than seeing a character battle with notions of race/gender etc. If anybody here of a marginalised societal group, what do you personally prefer to see? Is it at all possible to relate to a 'black' character if that character lives in a world where they don't undergo the same prejeduces you do? Is it possible to relate to them if their race/sexuality is just accepted and never noticed within the comic, or is relating to the character not as important as using the character as an escapist vehicle (in which case, does the race/sex matter at all to you?).

Hes a dude whose GIMMICK was that he's black...but unless I missed something in the books and in the movie, he didn't deal with racial issues that would "identify" him as black.

They dont beat you over the head with the fact he is black but he has had a few stories that highlight it the one where he goes to he deep south and helps a black landowner defend his family and land from some Klu Klux Klan racists springs to mind. His method of revenge is to use his magic to turn the head Klansman into a blackman who is then lynched by his fellow Klansmen.

There was also an issue where he somehow regained his former human form sans his eyes still being green. He walked around a neighborhood and some people made smartass "soul brother" comments to him. So he does deal with it when someone knows he's black.

Why is Al Simmon's race a gimmick? I think it added a different dimension to the character, and I'll give McFarlane credit for that. Al Simmons didn't have to be a black guy, and if he had been white I don't think the story would've changed that much. But perhaps that is the point. There is a lot of similiarities/commonalities among all races and ethnic groups that sometimes is forgotten.

That being said, I reiterate that I would like to see black heroes that are culturally attuned to the black-African American experience/African disapora and have roots in the black community, but that doesn't mean that they only deal with racial matters. Race/racism plays a signficant part to varying degrees in the lives of many racial minorities and whites in this country, but a lot of minorities have other things going on in their lives too. Many of the same worries and frustrations that the majority experience.

I would like to see a black hero that does his thing, without it having to do with racial issues all the time. However, I don't want him bleached out or assimilated either.

My concern is that a lot of non-blacks, and some blacks as well, will automatically see a black hero on the big screen, or small screen and be turned off without giving them a chance.

It's a fine line. You don't want him to just be a white guy in blackface, nor do you want every story to revolve around race either. I think the JL cartoon did a good job with John Stewart in that he's the GL, yet he still goes back to the neighborhood and checks up on the community.

Its the same in the first Blade movie where he goes to his friend to get his garlic.

There does need to be a live action version of Static Shock, written by Dwayne McDuffie himself. There can be a little comedy, but make it as serious as the comics were, and to an extent, the cartoon. Just no comedic actors playing the role, please.

Man, you know they just gon' git Nick Cannon!!!:woot:

(or maybe they'll get a little too creative and cast Soulja Boy! Ugh!)

I liked the Static Shock show but maybe his powers would be unimpressive for the general public, so it would have to have some other appeal to it such as a good script or doesnt star nick cannon.

Nick Cannon is too old anyway. Static is like 15 years old.

I don know what he's up to these day but, I use to think, Khleo Thomas, would be good for Static (idk, he's probably around 19-20, now)

It's a fine line. You don't want him to just be a white guy in blackface, nor do you want every story to revolve around race either. I think the JL cartoon did a good job with John Stewart in that he's the GL, yet he still goes back to the neighborhood and checks up on the community.

exactly. Remember when Bishop first came out. Marvel was like "LOOK we gotta black guy!"

I hate palette swap black characters. I could do without em.

exactly. Remember when Bishop first came out. Marvel was like "LOOK we gotta black guy!"

I hate palette swap black characters. I could do without em.
yeah and if you read his CW bits or are reading messiah complex you see how that turned out... :cmad::down

I'll end up killing someone if ever they made a static shock movie before a black panther flick. BP really needs to get made for so many reasons.

I'd rather wait for a good BP flick. Singleton directing would be a guarantee of a crappy film.

i'd love to see a Luke Cage movie

I don't think Hancock is being derogatry to black people or anything. The role could of been played by someone of any race. Perhaps your being a tad over sensitive.

Although John singleton did say studio's where reluctant to finanace a black superhero movie when he was going on about Power Man/Luke cage.

Isn't the Green Latern in the JLA movie gonna be the black John Stewart anyway.

The idea of Singleton with his hands on a superhero film just doesn't sit well with me. This genre is not something he should ever touch. I never really cared for Luke Cage, but with Singleton on board I think we can all say it'll be Baby Boy but with powers. I couldn't care less about Singleton directing a black superhero, cause i know how it's going to be portrayed. Now what did get me angry was when this mediocre director somehow got attached to the Black Panther. BP is one of the few black heros that has been done well at times, and it was bad enough dealing with that hack Reginald Hudlin who has no clue how to write BP, but then you hear Singleton is attached to direct a feature film. I just pray it never comes to pass, just like I wish Hudlin's run would end soon. Just leave both Cage and BP in the comics.

How about Icon & Rocket? A static flick wouldn't be too bad...perhaps as a straight to dvd release. Bow Wow or Omarion could play him.

It doesn't need to be DTV, it needs to be theatrical, and serious. As the comic was.

It doesn't need to be DTV, it needs to be theatrical, and serious. As the comic was.

Exactly.

And hell no to Omarion or Bow wow. Damn...

Yeah... y'know, there are young black ACTORS out there who are not musicians or whatever O and Bow are.

Just leave both Cage and BP in the comics.

Sounds like you're part of the problem. "Oh, Singleton's attatched? We should never make a Luke Cage movie ever. BP either, for that matter. Ever." Thanks. Also there's the small fact that Luke Cage, at times actually has been Baby Boy with powers. -shrug-

Icon and Rocket could be a TON of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"