Black Superheroes Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we **** up, we represent the entire race. We do good, no one gives a rat's ass or just assumes there's some ulterior motive.

Nah, they don't. But it would be a decent opportunity for one of them to take on something that's not a hammy drama or a B-grade actioner.

Yeah I like when we have black filmmakers who do things other than heavy dramas or Fast and Furious type pulp. I forgot about F. Gary Gray, he is good.

I can't think of his name but the guy directing Red Tails for George Lucas is looking promising. Also I think Lee Daniels has the talent to breach out and do a bigger budget film(he's produced bigger films). Gave Black Panther to him or Anton Fouqua:woot:

Its my goal as an upcoming black film maker to change these perceptions around. It seems that there are only three types of black film...the moronic comedy, the gangsta film or the Tyler Perry flick. I want to change that. Where are our big budget blockbusters???

When we **** up, we represent the entire race. We do good, no one gives a rat's ass or just assumes there's some ulterior motive.

It's sad because it's true.:csad:

The only way to do this is to get more actors in leading roles aside from Will and Denzel. I know Idris Elba is working his way up there.

The bad thing is that there is only room for one or two guys like Will or Denzel. Hollywood has this "one at a time" mentality when it comes to that type of stuff. Nate Parker and Columbus Short are two guys who are pretty damn good actors with versatility, and they should get more roles than what they're getting now. Same thing with Ejiofor.

Its my goal as an upcoming black film maker to change these perceptions around. It seems that there are only three types of black film...the moronic comedy, the gangsta film or the Tyler Perry flick. I want to change that. Where are our big budget blockbusters???

There is Fantastic Four from a black filmmaker Lol!

Barbershop was the only decent/good film Tim Story ever made and I'm convinced it wasn't his direction that made it memorable. Taxi and the Fantastic films were just so bad:csad:

Dude, I wish you tons of luck with this. We need a change. It's 2011 soon and things need to change; we've got so many talented young people around, we need to let them break out and be looked at for their works without things being viewed through a limited filter. :(

The whole "when we mess up we represent our whole race" thing always annoyed me to no end. It sucks that as individuals we have to shoulder so much responsibility and be constantly wary of any mistakes. If we mess up in public, it's not "Hmm, look at that goofy guy throwing a temper tantrum, must be having a bad day." but rather "Hmm, look at that BLACK guy throwing a temper tantrum. Well you know what they're like..."

It's just like the movie comment posted a bit ago. It's all about the subtext. :doh: The mere addition of Black changes perception a ton.

We don't just need more black film makers and actors. We need more black people as script writers, film execs, and chairman of film companies. If your a director you can only direct whats given to you or a actor can act whats given to him. The power for more diverse black movies has to come from a higher source than the talent in front and behind the camera.

Sad fact of entertainment....no matter what Mel Gibson does he is not messing it up for all white people...he's just messing up his own image.
Had Kanye West done what Mel did he would have been considered a disgrace to black people.

Michael Jackson had several pedophile cases against him. He faced them and won and still people consider him an evil monster.
Roman Polanski raped a young girl, ran away from prosecution and no one says two words about it

Fixed. You said it in past tense.
I'd also like to add that at no point in history has a white man who has done well been considered a "credit to his race"-Anakin Skywalker notwithstanding.

I am not a huge fan of the dude, but I wish Tyler Perry would branch his studio out more for different genres aside from his usual forte. Put some straight comedies, some action films, etc. on the table, and bring on some fresh talent. I think he could get something like Luke Cage off the ground if he was ONLY producing or something, not writing or directing.

Yeah he is a big Star Trek fan im surprised he hasnt branched into sci fi

But I assume at this point anyone that wants to take on a Marvel or DC story has to take it through Disney or WB first.

Not necessarily. The DC/WB thing is pretty definite, but Marvel's properties are so scattered anything's possible.

or create a character that makes a lasting impression

The bad thing is that there is only room for one or two guys like Will or Denzel. Hollywood has this "one at a time" mentality when it comes to that type of stuff. Nate Parker and Columbus Short are two guys who are pretty damn good actors with versatility, and they should get more roles than what they're getting now. Same thing with Ejiofor.
Ejiofor is one regularly said to be one of the best black actors around by critics especially here in the UK and yet still the guy has only had a couple leading man roles in movies. I didn't even know he was in amistad until I watched it the other day.

The only way to do this is to get more actors in leading roles aside from Will and Denzel. I know Idris Elba is working his way up there.
Saw an interview in which Elba talks about how hard it is for black actors to get roles.

Its one of the reasons I don't like rappers with no acting background getting leading roles simply to bring in their fanbase as a audience for the movie as you know thats a role taken away from a black actor who actully does this for a living.
Steve McQueen is an award winning black artist turned film director, he directed a film called Hunger about IRA prisoner Bobby Sands played by Michael Fassbender (New Magneto).

McQueen won the Camera d'Or (best film by first time director) at the Cannes film festival for the movie.

McQueen is rumoured to be directing Fela Kuti biopic next.

It's funny how asian movies can have mass appeal for asians and other demographics but we can't run the risk of alienating others if it's to black:cmad:
Well actually, outside of catering to their own demographic, ASIAN films very rarely garner box office support here in America even if it's a critically aclaimed achievement. They're not breaking as many barriers as you would think either. However, that being said, Hollywood surely doesn't mind hacking asian films and styles for their own well being.
Although this is a black-centric discussion thread, I could make the same argument for the Latin cinema community as well. In this country, anything housing more than a little ethnic subtext & sensibility within their films will unfortunately be slighted by a sizable amount of the white viewing public.
They comprise the largest amount of consumers who flock to theatres aren't they?

Well actually, outside of catering to their own demographic, ASIAN films very rarely garner box office support here in America even if it's a critically aclaimed achievement. They're not breaking as many barriers as you would think either. However, that being said, Hollywood surely doesn't mind hacking asian films and styles for their own well being.
Although this is a black-centric discussion thread, I could make the same argument for the Latin cinema community as well. In this country, anything housing more than a little ethnic subtext & sensibility within their films will unfortunately be slighted by a sizable amount of the white viewing public.
They comprise the largest amount of consumers who flock to theatres aren't they?

Agreed on the Latin people but they have like what 2 major network and we have BET they are still in a better position than us.

Agreed on the Latin people but they have like what 2 major network and we have BET they are still in a better position than us.

Cameron Diaz, Martin Sheen, Raquel Welch-a few stars who have been able to either suppress or at least downplay their Latino heritage on their rise to stardom. We really can't do that.

Cameron Diaz, Martin Sheen, Raquel Welch-a few stars who have been able to either suppress or at least downplay their Latino heritage on their rise to stardom. We really can't do that.
And just to branch off of your statement, Chris. Vin Diesel tried to downplay his background by proclaiming that he was 100% Italian when his racial ambiguity came into question. Why? Because at first it was speculated that if the public found out that he was part-black it would damage his movie career. Shame.

Didn't seem to hurt Dwayne Johnson's workload though...

Quincy Jones' daughter can supress her blackness mainly because she looks "white" enough to pass....

And just to branch off of your statement, Chris. Vin Diesel tried to downplay his background by proclaiming that he was 100% Italian when his racial ambiguity came into question. Why? Because at first it was speculated that if the public found out that he was part-black it would damage his movie career. Shame.

Didn't seem to hurt Dwayne Johnson's workload though...

Quincy Jones' daughter can supress her blackness mainly because she looks "white" enough to pass....

It varies, sometimes it's cool to be part black, sometimes it's not. Depends on who you're talking to.

It varies, sometimes it's cool to be part black, sometimes it's not. Depends on who you're talking to.
Although there's truth in what you say, it doesn't make it any less distressing to me. Discouraging to say the least...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"