Black Superheroes Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lou Dimond Phillips and Mark Dacascos have made a career out of being racially ambiguous.

Those guys have played characters that are native americans, chinese, mexician, japanese ect

Then we need to focus on us cater to us kinda like Perry caters to black women.

And just to branch off of your statement, Chris. Vin Diesel tried to downplay his background by proclaiming that he was 100% Italian when his racial ambiguity came into question. Why? Because at first it was speculated that if the public found out that he was part-black it would damage his movie career. Shame.

Didn't seem to hurt Dwayne Johnson's workload though...

Quincy Jones' daughter can supress her blackness mainly because she looks "white" enough to pass....
Honestly, I'd forgotten about them. You could throw Mariah Carey in there, too, even though she's only made 3 attempts at acting. Let's not forget Jessica Alba on the Latin side-though it's easy to do.

And just to branch off of your statement, Chris. Vin Diesel tried to downplay his background by proclaiming that he was 100% Italian when his racial ambiguity came into question. Why? Because at first it was speculated that if the public found out that he was part-black it would damage his movie career. Shame.

Yeah lots of people still don't know he's half black. Hell, I didn't know for quite a while. He keeps his head shaved for a reason lol.

I am not a huge fan of the dude, but I wish Tyler Perry would branch his studio out more for different genres aside from his usual forte. Put some straight comedies, some action films, etc. on the table, and bring on some fresh talent. I think he could get something like Luke Cage off the ground if he was ONLY producing or something, not writing or directing.

I've had similar thoughts. I wonder if TP isn't just consolidating his empire in order to do different things. He's already went for a more 'mainstream' (i.e. white) appealing movie with The Family that Preys and he's been involved with more serious fare like Precious and For Colored Girls, so its possible that TP might one day branch out into different genres. But it probably isn't wise to go too far ahead of his audience or base of support or move away from them, and the stories they might want to see or support.

Perry found his niche (abused/religious black women) and he's going to stick wih it. I don't think he's talented or insightful enough to branch out.

I've had similar thoughts. I wonder if TP isn't just consolidating his empire in order to do different things. He's already went for a more 'mainstream' (i.e. white) appealing movie with The Family that Preys and he's been involved with more serious fare like Precious and For Colored Girls, so its possible that TP might one day branch out into different genres. But it probably isn't wise to go too far ahead of his audience or base of support or move away from them, and the stories they might want to see or support.

Except Family that Preys opened with $17 Million. For Colored Girls opened with $19 Million. BUT Madea Goes to Jail opened with $41 Million.

So which is he likely to do more of?

And he's too comfortable in his niche. Appealing to older black women. He won't ever make a sci-fi film because that's not what black women want to see. I want to kill a kitten everytime my mother tunes in to Meet the Browns or House of Payne. And those are the most popular black shows on tv. God help us all:csad:

Except Family that Preys opened with $17 Million. For Colored Girls opened with $19 Million. BUT Madea Goes to Jail opened with $41 Million.

So which is he likely to do more of?

And he's too comfortable in his niche. Appealing to older black women. He won't ever make a sci-fi film because that's not what black women want to see. I want to kill a kitten everytime my mother tunes in to Meet the Browns or House of Payne. And those are the only black shows on tv. God help us all:csad:

Fixed, sadly.

lol

I hear Undercovers is failing miserably.

See I'm always last informed.

Last edited:
i was watching Undercovers and it was good

Undercovers was really starting to reach its stride. I tuned into the last episode and I felt like they were finally starting to get to where it wasn't just good but great. I hate it when shows get canceled early on because most shows don't really hit their stride until the 2nd or 3rd season.

Noel Clarke (actor/director/screenwriter) is a good up and coming director. You guys may know him from his role as Mickey in Doctor Who.

His last film was 4321 starring Emma Roberts, Eve, Kevin Smith, Plan B, Michelle Ryan and Bashy.

Undercovers was really starting to reach its stride. I tuned into the last episode and I felt like they were finally starting to get to where it wasn't just good but great. I hate it when shows get canceled early on because most shows don't really hit their stride until the 2nd or 3rd season.

To bad BET doesn't have the balls to pick it:o

Noel Clarke (actor/director/screenwriter) is a good up and coming director. You guys may know him from his role as Mickey in Doctor Who.

His last film was 4321 starring Emma Roberts, Eve, Kevin Smith, Plan B, Michelle Ryan and Bashy.

I like this short he did, Reign of Death. I had read he was doing a movie based on it but I'm not sure if that's still happening.

To bad BET doesn't have the balls to pick it:o

Even if they could manage to pick it up, the problem is, it would mean having to watch BET. :o

Vin Disel is half black? Damn I wouldn't have guessed that but maybe that explains why he can be bald and still look cool.

The Rock looks like a mixed black dude though, plus he played at the U. Those two things are dead giveaways for the Rock or Dwanye Johnson as he likes to be called now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"