Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff - Scarlett Johansson

Discussion in 'Avengers: Endgame' started by Iceman, Oct 16, 2018.

1. writer0327 Registered

I think they planned the soul for a soul trade with Widow specifically in mind. They wanted to give the original six their send off, and so they did. I'm still holding out hope they save the character somehow after Cap returned the Soul Stone, the space magic is undone, because I think a prequel movie is kinda weak for Widow.

THORin likes this.
  2. zephyrinthesky Registered

It would have been nice for his family to have been sitting with him and Wanda after Stark's funeral, with his daughter saying "I wish Aunty Nat were here too".
    "Me too, honey. I wish there was some way we could tell her we won."
    "She knows. They both know."

The Russos said in a later interview that the soul taken for the Stone remains sealed, so Widow is gone. I would have loved to have seen Cap get a moment with Nat on Vormir before going back to the last to meet up wihw Peggy. I agree that a prequel feels lame at this point.
    Writing Widow to be destined as a sacrificial lamb from the start would be so weak compared to the poignant sendoffs Cap and Tony got. Different tier of character maybe, but her conclusion was so rushed in comparison.

#152 zephyrinthesky, May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. samsnee Ok

Honestly I expect her movie to have a twist we aren’t expecting and won’t be so straightforward as a prequel.

THORin likes this.
  4. THORin #StayHome

I fully agree.

5. Boy Scout Registered

I’m curious:
    what happens if you attempt to acquire the Soul Stone by yourself? Nothing?

THORin likes this.
  6. Mr. Peanut Registered

Doing that would screw over the timeline that he stole her from. Like, imagine if in our timeline, during the Vormir scene, Captain America from an older timeline just teleported in out of nowhere, grabbed Black Widow, and vanished? Hawkeye would be left standing there empty-handed.

7. KevTravels Registered

Still the biggest shock in this movie and perhaps in recent films.

Everyone, the film has stakes. :wow:

8. samsnee Ok

Basically

9. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Well, the Red Skull tried to get it on his own, and it didn't work. However, we don't know if its because he was alone, or because there was literally nothing he loved enough that giving it up would qualify as a valid trade. It could theoretically be the case that, even if you arrive alone, if there is something or someone sufficient that you could sacrifice them, Vormir and/or the Soul Stone would provide a way.

We also don't know for sure whether Red Skull's state as immortal guardian and keeper of the Soul Stone is because he tried and failed, because in frustration he did something profoundly unwise, or simply because he was stuck their and couldn't otherwise leave.

Iceman likes this.
  10. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

My stitches aren't still healed from it. :(

LightDaggers and KevTravels like this.
  11. Nathan_Koren This is the way...

I cried like a baby :( during the death scenes...what a choker...r.i.p.

12. writer0327 Registered

Yep. "A soul for a soul" means you need a soul to exchange.

13. nypinta Certified Delightful

Not according to the rules the movie laid out.

14. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Actually, it's in line. Taking that version of Tasha away means that a branch is created where Clint DOESN"T come back with the soul stone. Thus the snap doesn't get undone by Hulk and Thanos when he arrives likely wins because Iron Man can't destroy his forces with the Gauntlet.

Mr. Peanut and Nathan_Koren like this.
  15. Zyraquis Registered

This is the movie I start to care about the character. Scarjo has a really powerful performance here I can see how the character has matured that shows all sorts of depth and mixed emotions from the events here and before. Just rewatched IM2 when she debuted and boy what a Great Leap Forward in character development.
    Unfortunately it’s a bit late if they decide not to bring her back after then solo film.

16. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

17. Nathan_Koren This is the way...

So true. I get choked up when knowing the Avengers was like the only family she ever had and whats worse is when she hated how everything was falling apart because of the events of civil war. Fury was like a father figure to her in a way...sucks they never got to reunite since the snap was reversed. But again Nat was already gone:(

LightDaggers likes this.
  18. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Her best performance yet as BW

The_Manhunter likes this.
  19. nypinta Certified Delightful

So what? His task wasn't to preserve the timeline. It was to return the stones to the moments they were taken from the past. That's it. Cleary none of them were concerned with altering the past since it wouldn't have any effect on their timeline, which is the only one they cared about. Otherwise, they would have tried just a little bit to find the Loki they lost and Steve wouldn't have willingly and purposefully undone Peggy's life, her kids, etc.

20. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

The act of returning the stones is EXACTLY all about not disrupting the timeline for the worse. It's the very reason they are making the effort to return them in the first place. As such taking an alternate Tasha on purpose before Clint gets the stone branches off the timeline there. Maybe Cap could just give the stone in his possession to Clint but that test is there for a reason. Whatever cosmic forces gave Skull his guardianship of the stone may not allow such an action. A cosmic cheat code if you will.

21. Pennywise Registered

Scarlett killed it in Endgame! Her scenes in the film, especially with Hawkeye were really emotional!

The_Manhunter likes this.
  22. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

She is a HERo!

I hope her film is a straight up prequel. I don't want any twists or anyone replacing her as the Black Widow for future movies.

23. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

Same, and I hope we get to see Clint and Fury as well.

Nathan_Koren likes this.
  24. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Hawkeye (supporting or cameo) appearing would be a pleasant addition.

25. zephyrinthesky Registered

I think the final version of the scene was ultimately the better choice, but I'm hoping for a miracle where this alternate take makes it into the Blu-Ray deleted scenes:
    It would've been nice for Widow to get an action scene, but showing her and Clint not needing to be under a gun to die each other was more touching.