Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Black Widow' started by Silvermoth, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Asharad Registered

Well he isn't wrong. But anyways Chapek needs to go, he is too much like Perlmutter.

2. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Yes, but the point is that while it doesn't perfectly translate what could have been, it *does* have the virtue of actually covering what was earned in reality. Basically, its hard to impossible to figure out whether anything was actually lost from the D+ release. . . but its straightforward to go "But the money that actually did get moved from one box to another box, Johannsen should still get a cut". Because that money was still earned by the movie on release, it just got shifted from one box to another, and "I am paid based on movie revenue, this should not be avoidable by shuffling revenue from one accounting ledger to another" is an easier sell than "in an alternate universe I could have made more money".

( Especially since its highly dubious whether this actually *did* lose the movie any money versus a "normal" release during an ongoing pandemic. $30 group rate home viewings have to be balanced against "this family wouldn't or couldn't have otherwise seen the movie anyway, because pandemic". Likewise, piracy being a meaningful change in revenue is at best an unproven claim, especially with the many places that otherwise didn't and wouldn't have gotten a theatrical release anyway, due to pandemic. A person watching a pirated copy isn't a loss of revenue, *unless* it replaced what would otherwise have been a paying purchase. )

Holy Slapper and Prison Mike like this.
  3. Zyraquis Registered

If that article about the rift is true, I’m afraid we will see a few years of decline in MCU (among other DIS offerings) before the office politics dusts are settled one way or another, and the studio will recover (if the CEO is indeed pushed out after years of struggles) or move somewhere else (CEO wins and sees a big gain in a trade sale, and a ‘way’ to end what he sees as an unwanted problem).

Either way, internal power struggles are never good to any company, which mostly only leads to a chronic decline.

4. TheVileOne Registered

If he doesn't do a good job, he'll get ousted just like Rich Ross.

Holy Slapper likes this.
  5. Sithborg Registered

It is important to point out that it appears that ScarJo's bonus is based on hitting certain benchmarks at the box office, not a percentage off of the box office. And I'm sure her home video and digital sale residuals are different. So, it is not as an easy move as you may think. I believe the $50 million is the maximum bonus she would have been able to get. Which, given the generally high level of MCU box office, I can easily see them putting in max pay outs.

TheVileOne likes this.
  6. Holy Slapper Registered

If you want to know what is in that The Wrap article, John Campea is covering it on his show now.

7. Holy Slapper Registered

Ok, I agree with Campea, Iger needs to take Chapek to the Barbershop, give him the Sweet Chin Music and throw him through the glass. :funny:

8. TheVileOne Registered

Does Iger have power to take any type of action against Chapek here? And if so, why would Iger allow Disney to put out such embarrassing statements?

#2583 TheVileOne, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  9. Mysteryman Registered

You know,
    there is nothing stopping Chapek from saying That Disney's response was too harsh or regrettable.
    At the very least, he could have said that it was unfortunate that things got this far.
    Instead, he stands by the statement in silence.
    Bad Look.

Fosterson and TheVileOne like this.
  10. BaelaTargaryen Registered

11. Mysteryman Registered

Somehow, I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that ScarJo is shaking in her boots.

TheVileOne and Fosterson like this.
  12. TheVileOne Registered

It's just typical legal jargon. Now that it's started Disney can't publicly admit any fault here. Even a settlement would allow Disney to publicly save face from a certain point of view.

13. Comicbookguy339 Registered

What a mess.

TheVileOne likes this.
  14. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

It's tragic that after years of waiting a Black Widow film we finally get it and it's meet with delays, behind the scenes drama and a lawsuit.

Honestly I doubt this would have happened to RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth or even Renner or Ruffalo, I'm sorry ScarJo's going through this and unfortunately I don't think she's going to win her lawsuit.

Holy Slapper and Fosterson like this.
  15. TheVileOne Registered

They need to get Chapek out of there now if this is going to be symbolic of his regime before he causes more undue damage.

What offends me the most is they had months and months to work out deals with the actors and their camps. All of this could've been avoided.

FYI, the only movie that is probably going to come close to $200 million domestic box office this year is Black Widow. Say what you want about the drops or box office, but during this neverending pandemic nightmare, that's the only movie that's come close to that mark.

16. Sithborg Registered

I mean, it was looking like Disney was going to go to court challenging some of the most bedrock of contract law. Until one of their lawyers yelled at them. They are doing some ugly stuff at the parks. And now that the court systems has killed some of the anti-trust stuff with theaters, expect Disney to start throwing their weight around more.

The attitude about this will likely be well received by the shareholders.

17. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Deleted Scene surfaced online:

18. Fosterson Registered

I actually quite liked that. Although once that kid tells her parents that one of the world's most wanted criminals is in their neighbourhood, Ross is gonna be on Nat's ass again.

Mysteryman likes this.
  19. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

On it's own I like the scene but I can see why they cut it. Pacing wise, it'd be a little off and if she's on the run, I don't really see her returning to her old neighborhood.

Mysteryman and Fosterson like this.
  20. Mike Murdock Registered

I love the scene, but I can't figure out where it would fit in the movie.

Holy Slapper and Fosterson like this.
  21. zephyrinthesky Registered

A little corny, but I like that emotional direction (i.e. finding peace with her legacy) a lot more than the obvious IW tie-in in the theatrical cut.

Although to top up on that, I would've preferred a different direction altogether on the ending that this deleted shot shows:
    [​IMG]

Natasha sacrificing her freedom to give the widows and her Russian family a clean slate away from Ross would've been a more selfless way for her to say goodbye.
    We know that Steve breaks everyone out of the Raft anyway. And we're no longer wondering how Mason gets his hands on a state-of-the-art quinjet that's biometrically-locked by an advanced AI.

Venom 1988 and Fosterson like this.
  22. Fosterson Registered

At the very end I suppose. After the scene where she gets the Quinjet, implying that she flew there right away.

23. zephyrinthesky Registered

I thought it fit right before she gets the Quinjet. She passes through the neighbourhood on the way to the field.

24. Fosterson Registered

I've never really understood why the felt the need to do that, given that we know that Steve already had a Quinjet (the one him and Bucky flew to Siberia).

25. zephyrinthesky Registered

The quinjet scene was added in reshoots. So I'm guessing someone thought their original footage of Nat getting captured was too much of a bummer to end on?
    I'm not a fan of the reshot quinjet scene either. I'd rather end on a bittersweet note than a nonsensical one.