3. Black Widow

Though because I like lists, to include those others above,

1. Wonder Woman
2. Birds of Prey
3. Captain Marvel
4. Wonder Woman 1984
5. Black Widow
6. Ant-Man and Wasp

It's ranking fever, catch it. Though this might just be the effects of the second Covid shot...

1. Wonder Woman
2. Captain Marvel
3. Black Widow
4. Birds of Prey
5. Wonder Woman 1984
6. Ant-Man and the Wasp

Wonder Woman is #1 with a bullet, even though the third act is a sloppy mess. I would describe all of the top four as solid-to-good, but I do think Captain Marvel and Black Widow are a fair bit better than Birds of Prey. The characters in those two are far more solidly-defined than Birds. But Birds is a straight comedy, so it was aiming for different things.

Wonder Woman 84 was up and down like a rocky sea, and Ant-Man and the Wasp felt like a waste of time, so they fall behind the pack.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4a557a4c5a4968564444634351413d3d2d3433392e313539306463356132363738346331393434313136313837333332322e676966

7e1834ac5cb646381f2f2edf14b65e0c.gif

Just wasn't a fan of the movie and portrayal overall.

Black Widow with quite some margin. It has good characters with good relationships and some action scenes really hit that spy movie feel without being just like TWS. It gets overly grandiose at the climax, but that problem is nothing compared to what's below.

Captain Marvel doesn't stand out much in either direction and came at a poor time in the overall story. It mostly works but Carol isn't a character that gives Brie much to work with. It would have been better to push her to phase 4 which could have helped both this movie and Endgame.

WW feels pretty derivative but what really sinks it for me though is its terrible climax. Ares is ridiculous and to use love as what gives you the power to forcefully destroy your enemy (the one that's evil because he wants war and violence) is so dumb.

If I have to rank the 6 movies:

-Black Widow
-Wonder Woman
-Ant-Man & the Wasp (I enjoyed this more than many it seems....not sorry)
-Captain Marvel
-Wonder Woman 1984
-Birds of Prey (this movie needed more Black Canary and Huntress....as it stands, it was okay)

Last edited:
Wonder Woman. It has the best lead character, and is the only film of the three that, IMO, feels iconic in a similar manner as films like STM, B89, Spider-Man, The Avengers, or Black Panther.

Black Widow is second place. Very solid, but is lacking something that would take it to the level of great or iconic.

Captain Marvel doesn't really do anything for me. Brie Larson is a great actress, so I hope she gets her Winter Soldier/Ragnarok moment somewhere down the line.

I don't care all that much for any of these films, but I liked Black Widow the most.

Captain Marvel is better, in some cases morally, than Black Widow and Wonder Woman. But I think Black Widow is a movie with stronger constructed writing than Captain Marvel. And I think Wonder Woman has stronger constructed writing than Black Widow and Captain Marvel.
Black Widow with quite some margin. It has good characters with good relationships and some action scenes really hit that spy movie feel without being just like TWS. It gets overly grandiose at the climax, but that problem is nothing compared to what's below.
I think those things aren't that strongly written.

Wonder Woman
Black Widow
Captain Marvel

WW was fresh and barely had anything to build off of it. Natasha had a decade and like 8 films to build this up.

I dug Black Widow.

Some genuinely intense action set pieces, some raw family dynamics which I thought was refreshing, and the feminism allegory I thought while thick was well executed a discussion worthy.

I really dislike the Skrulls being sympathetic and WW third act was not only messy it was straight up goofy.

So yeah BW, an upper tier MCU effort.

Wonder Woman was a complete film experience. It had its flaws, but it had a great cast and it had a beautifully cathartic ending. You didn't need to see any of the previous films to root for Diana.

BW is in a tough spot. Scarlett Johansson carries the film (which is enjoyable), but knowing her character's fate in Endgame already puts a sour taste in my mouth. Loved Pugh and Harbour, Weisz was underused.

Captain Marvel feels rushed, especially the script ironically (since it took several years to gestate). I thought it was a decent film but I think Brie Larson needed more time to explore her character before they started shooting. Carol's scenes with Monica and Nick were the best in the film, as well as her interplay with Jude Law.

Recency bias aside, I'm gonna go with Black Widow. It's the first one of the three listed that I immediately wanted to rewatch.

It's got some of the best character moments out of all of them.

Wonder Woman easily wins this for me. Captain Marvel would be second. Black Widow would be a distant third, because it felt like Natasha was barely the main character in her own movie. Aside from Yelena, it was pretty forgettable. Marvel doesn’t disappoint me often but this one really feels like a missed opportunity for me, especially after how long we had to wait for it (both because of Perlmutter’s sexist bull**** and then because of COVID).

WW
BW
CM

No contest for me, with Wonder Woman at the top. Wasn't too thrilled with either of the other two film, but Black Widow is technically a better film than Captain Marvel, IMO.

Wonder Woman easily wins this for me. Captain Marvel would be second. Black Widow would be a distant third, because it felt like Natasha was barely the main character in her own movie. Aside from Yelena, it was pretty forgettable. Marvel doesn’t disappoint me often but this one really feels like a missed opportunity for me, especially after how long we had to wait for it (both because of Perlmutter’s sexist bull**** and then because of COVID).
Well this movie was obviously a way to give us the new Black Widow at least this felt more like a passing the torch film.

Well this movie was obviously a way to give us the new Black Widow at least this felt more like a passing the torch film.

Yeah, it did. But I still thought Natasha deserved a better send-off. I felt more for her in Endgame than I did in BW. It suffered from the same problem a lot of the Batman movies suffer from… the primary hero is mostly just there to kick ass while the other characters get the best lines and moments. Also, BW easily has the two worst villains I’ve ever seen in a Marvel movie. I’d take Malekith and what’s his name from Dr. Strange over the Taskinator and Ray “Can’t Hold an Accent for My 5 Minutes of Screentime” Winstone.

Yeah, it did. But I still thought Natasha deserved a better send-off. I felt more for her in Endgame than I did in BW. It suffered from the same problem a lot of the Batman movies suffer from… the primary hero is mostly just there to kick ass while the other characters get the best lines and moments. Also, BW easily has the two worst villains I’ve ever seen in a Marvel movie. I’d take Malekith and what’s his name from Dr. Strange over the Taskinator and Ray “Can’t Hold an Accent for My 5 Minutes of Screentime” Winstone.

Would it really have been too much to cast a Russian (or at least Eastern European) actor in that role?

Would it really have been too much to cast a Russian (or at least Eastern European) actor in that role?

Or someone who could attempt to do just one accent the whole time? I wouldn’t have even cared if it was the WRONG accent. But just pick one!

To bring it to this poll I don't think any of these three have good villains, and WW has the worst of them. A couple of cackling mustache twirlers and a goofy British gentleman looking Greek god that's reading out loud from the book of generic villain lines.

If you wants a really good villain for a female lead superhero thing you probably have to go to the shows and look at someone like Kilgrave. The movies haven't delivered.

Wonder Woman had the best character defining moment during the “No man’s sequence” . Black Widow had the emotional impact due to the character ultimate fate and Captain Marvel is a hot mess.

Wonder Woman
Black Widow
Captain Marvel

It's a bit of a drop between Wonder Woman and Black Widow.

1-Wonder Woman
2-Black Widow

3-Captain Marvel
4-Birds of Prey

5-WW84

WW and BW were both great but not perfect
CM and Birds were good but also quite flawed
And WW84 was a f*ing dumpster fire

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics