Playstation Bloodborne

I figured there wasn't since people were screaming about losing 100k echoes when they died trying to get them back.

The point of currency in the Souls games is the fear of losing your hard earned "exp" points. It is the consistent tension in the game. What frustrates you, but in a good way. You are always responsible for your souls/echoes.

The game provides plenty of short cuts and once you know the path to the boss, you can rush to it. However, I do like the suggestion from fanbase that the boss should carry all your lost souls/blood and pile up to X amount, that way when you defeat the boss you are rewarded with everything you've build up.

That's cool and all, but you know what would be a great shortcut? A checkpoint or save point.

That's cool and all, but you know what would be a great shortcut? A checkpoint or save point.
There are checkpoints and save points. The lamps. The pathways to bosses have very quick shortcuts you unlock by progressing through the level.

There are checkpoints and save points. The lamps. The pathways to bosses have very quick shortcuts you unlock by progressing through the level.

I know there are checkpoints and save points, but I'm talking specifically about having one before the actual boss battles themselves. Which, as I said in my previous post, I think should be before boss battles. Honestly, I just think that's a common sense kind of designs for any game.

This is Bloodborne. Common sense for other games doesn't apply. :p

I just want an easy difficulty setting. I love the look and atmosphere of this game and Dark Souls, but they are impenetrable for me. I want to enjoy a game, enjoy the story, have fun. It's the reason a rarely play games on setting such as "brutal" or "crushing". I get enough stress from my job. I don't need absurd amounts of stress from video games. Replaying the same thing over and over and over...and over until I'm sweating, frustrated, anxious, and stressed to the breaking point isn't fun.

I know there are checkpoints and save points, but I'm talking specifically about having one before the actual boss battles themselves. Which, as I said in my previous post, I think should be before boss battles. Honestly, I just think that's a common sense kind of designs for any game.
Common sense in what way? The lack of saves before the bosses is intentional, as is the lack of all new age safe guards outside of saving and fast travel. It is part of the tension, part of the challenge.

I just want an easy difficulty setting. I love the look and atmosphere of this game and Dark Souls, but they are impenetrable for me. I want to enjoy a game, enjoy the story, have fun. It's the reason a rarely play games on setting such as "brutal" or "crushing". I get enough stress from my job. I don't need absurd amounts of stress from video games. Replaying the same thing over and over and over...and over until I'm sweating, frustrated, anxious, and stressed to the breaking point isn't fun.
And easy mode would defeat the purpose of these games, so I just can't seem them ever doing it. They aren't story heavy, and the fun the relief and accomplishment. At least that is their intentions.

"Common sense" doesn't equal being lazy or easy for the players.

The lamps are already close enough to the bosses and you create shortcuts or you can rush to the boss yourself easily enough.

Then you simply play the games whenever you're feeling calm and when you get stressed, you switch the game.

The game rewards for patience and learning, the games are marketed as extremely hard but like Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne, once you learn you can practically parry and backstab everyone and everything, you can make the game very easy for yourself if you choose that way.

Here, this is the first Youtube video I found with the search words: bloodborne parry + backstab guide, hope it is good:
[YT]eqzc2afNbsk[/YT]

Last edited:
Common sense in what way? The lack of saves before the bosses is intentional, as is the lack of all new age safe guards outside of saving and fast travel. It is part of the tension, part of the challenge.

Common sense may not be the best term, but I'm not sure how to say it. You play through a level, you get to a boss, you should be able to save right before it or at least relatively close to it. Plenty of games have managed to be challenging and tense by doing this, and I don't see how these games would really be hurt for doing it as well. I'm not even talking about doing checkpoint throughout a level or path or whatever, but just right before bosses.

"Common sense" doesn't equal being lazy or easy for the players.

The lamps are already close enough to the bosses and you create shortcuts or you can rush to the boss yourself easily enough.

Fairly condescending. I'm not "lazy," and I as I said before, I enjoy challenging games, especially in action games of this nature. Shortcuts are cool, but unless I can use those shortcuts while not fighting any enemies at all, not really what I am talking about. I really don't see what the issue is at all with having a save point before a boss is. If these shortcuts are really there, I mean, it just seems like it makes more sense to have one there to cut out the bloat then.

Last edited:
Games of these types generally aren't, but in my case, just that one little tweak would fix most of my annoyance I had with the game, and I'm not seeing any real compelling reason against that tweak.

I guess looking at it, it's ultimately very minor thing if there really are quick shortcuts to bosses (I missed it for the first one, though), but it really turns the otherwise fine challenge into more of an annoyance and slog than anything. It's not even that it's hard at that point, it's more like it becomes a big time sink when it really doesn't have to be, which to me has always been a cheap and artificial way to lengthen a game.

Last edited:
This is a really personal, individual kind of thing, but I like starting back at the checkpoint after dying to a boss because it gives me a minute to think about it. What I did right, what I did wrong, what to watch out for next time, how I'm going to change my approach, etc. And fighting trash mobs along the way keeps me sharp.

Whereas, if there was a checkpoint right before the boss fight, I would end up just throwing myself at it again and again without really thinking about it and end up succeeding almost by accident rather than skill or knowledge of the encounter. But again, that's just me though.

**** Shadow of Yharnam. **** this ****.

Edit: congrats to the dark souls 2 guys who designed this ****. ugh.

Edit 2: sorry... I'm pissed off.

Last edited:
Common sense may not be the best term, but I'm not sure how to say it. You play through a level, you get to a boss, you should be able to save right before it or at least relatively close to it. Plenty of games have managed to be challenging and tense by doing this, and I don't see how these games would really be hurt for doing it as well. I'm not even talking about doing checkpoint throughout a level or path or whatever, but just right before bosses.
There are two real reasons for why they do it, based around the difficulty. The first reason is because of your echoes. The idea is that if you die, you have real shot at losing them. It is why you only get one chance. You really lose that if you can just appear outside the boss room to pick them back up by simply entering the room.

Secondly, is it forces you to explore. All the areas have a few shortcuts, and always one that leads directly to the boss, or at least cuts out the vast majority of the map travel to get back to the boss. It is almost forced on you because of the lack of lamps, unless you want to risk losing your souls after fighting and dying to the boss.

There is no design that resemblance Dark Souls 2 in Bloodborne. It is very much like Dark Souls.

I don't think Shadow of Yharnam resembles anything over Dark Souls 2 than Dark Souls 1. Granted, both Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne give more options for healing than Dark Souls 1.

Here's my tip, just keep running around and parry+riposte the sword dudes, but when you keep running away from the sword guys, annihilate the fire mage guy, he is likely the first one you'll kill off, then the flamethrower sword guy as 2nd or last.

The guy with the katana is just super easy to parry.

Call in someone else and let them do it. :p

There are two real reasons for why they do it, based around the difficulty. The first reason is because of your echoes. The idea is that if you die, you have real shot at losing them. It is why you only get one chance. You really lose that if you can just appear outside the boss room to pick them back up by simply entering the room.

Echoes don't really matter that much do they? It's very easy to farm them if you need to it seems to me.

Secondly, is it forces you to explore. All the areas have a few shortcuts, and always one that leads directly to the boss, or at least cuts out the vast majority of the map travel to get back to the boss. It is almost forced on you because of the lack of lamps, unless you want to risk losing your souls after fighting and dying to the boss.

Eh, I can see that more so I guess, but on the other hand, nothing is really stopping you from exploring just because there is a save point before the boss, especially if the level itself is fairly large.

I agree with DarthSkywalker.

I love the level design in Bloodborne. It forces you to explore and look for shortcuts.

A save point before a boss would in no way take away or prohibit your ability to explore a level before it.

It's the way its designed. Unless you can get a mod for it (whenever it gets setup for PS4) then that's the way it is.

I love the design of the game. The architecture blows me away every time I see it.

It's the way its designed. Unless you can get a mod for it (whenever it gets setup for PS4) then that's the way it is.

Well, yeah, I know. Criticisms often arise from when people don't like these designs or feel they could be bettered. Obviously nothing I am going to say will directly affect how the game is as of now, nor anything anyone else says will either.

I'd be interested in seeing future DLC have movable save points/lanterns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"