Bloody Sport

Wow! :eek: They call you..."PRO STAR!" You need get in the bizz.

Hi, guys,

0neDisturbedSOB - Thanks, 0neDisturbedSOB. Hope you do pick it up, I´ll reserve a table for you at the Sea Bride (the bar on the bottom of the last page), near the pool table.
(Caution: it´s a fishermen´s bar :D )

spiderfan08 - Thanks, spiderfan08.
smile.gif

Kal_EL - Thanks, son of Krypton, glad you´ve liked it. :)

Roma - Hi, Roma!! Thankies
smile.gif

RAMORE - LOL Thanks, RAMORE.
smile.gif
Yeah, I actually get a far greater kick at drawing sequentials than pin ups; sequentials allow you to tell a story which is the very thing that got me into comics.

lionhart - Hi, lionhart. Thanks.
smile.gif

Sir Granite - Thanks, Sir.
smile.gif
Actually, I´ve been working in the industry for quite some time.
I provided the art for Image comics´ recently released Cloudburst (written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray) and Moonstone Books will release in september a 2-part mini-series drawn by me called Revenge of the Mummy (written by Justin Gray).
I regularly provide the pencils and inks for FC9´s monthly all-age title Genie (Writen by jim Keplinger) and General Jinjur´s superhero saga Charlatan (written by Gil Lawson).

IMAGE_406c7c0453038.jpg

Great stuff, l just can't figure out why the guy in the cap is giving the other guy a handjob. :confused:

i know... i was wondering aswell..
that deep stare into eachothers eyes

Thanks a lot, guys :)

Handjob... LOL
You guys are great! :D

hahah yeah i just realized i had nothing good to say

So i'll say.. awsome work.. and honestly.. you dont need any critiques from me.. YOU KNOW your good..

Just show us more is all i can say... loving it

Thanks, Sonki. :)

You want more?

Sure, I can do more :D

IMAGE_4068dc1c6b6e0.jpg

Sorry for the anatomical mishaps, it´s a 1996 piece. Didn´t even know people had arms then

Could you help me with some tips on your line art backgrounds. I like your buildings alot. It makes me want to practice mine more. If you have any pointers like do you use a ruler, drafting table, mechanical pencils, anything man. I would appreciate your help.

Simply awesome!!!! I love it! I don't know if you intended to open this thread for questions, to show off, or both...but I have a question none the less. :D

What do you find is the best way to do an awesome action shot from start to finish. I find the only way I can ever get any sort of pose right is if I either copy off another artists work, or have them stand straight up (boring!). Any thoughts on that? (Oh yeah, and I'm already doing the whole "practice practice practice" thing!)

Hello Zeu.....your work is fantastic. The colored panels are simply beautiful, and the B/W ones show immense detail. I'm looking foeward to seeing your completed book when it comes out. Congrats on a darn fine job.

I am completely insulted. Not by this thread, but by the fact that I missed it for so long. Your GL and Captain America designs on the first page REEK of absolute awesomeness. It's like the hand of....I dunno. But they are awesome.

Any chance of your doing profile shots of the redesigns from your first image?

Some really good artwork here. Honestly, it's not really my preferred style, but I do know good technique/skill/execution when I see it. Very nicely done.

Oh, and, welcome to the Hype.

Those last 2 pics are just great, I love your style. Always like detailed comics (Perez, Rio).
You've got a fan :up:

Kaod Er said:
IMAGE_406c7c0453038.jpg

Great stuff, l just can't figure out why the guy in the cap is giving the other guy a handjob. :confused:

I thought the same thing!

The woman is looking around like "guys, not here..."

The one guy with the hat is really getting into it, look at his face.

Kal El - Hi, Kal El. I don´t know if this is gonna be of any help but I use pretty much anything in my work (I have entire issues drawn over regular machine type paper); as long as it´s easy towork with and doesn´t ruin the linework, I use any materials available to get the job done. Initially, I used to recur to loads of picture reference for my buildings and I definitelly recommend it.
Or, preferably, drawing from life.
Look outside the window and try to capture on paper the building block in front of you.
In time, there are certain details that you´ll learn to draw from memory and you won´t second guess as much (a crucial notch in your M.O. when you have deadlines to kill... I mean maim.... I mean........).

Sir Granite - hi, Sir Granite.
I´m strongly against copying another artist´s work in any circumstance.
Like I told Kal El, my advice is collecting picture references or better yet, drawing from life (most of the people that appears in my more complicated shots, man, woman or beast, child or elderly, are usually me - having a big mirror is a good thing).Gymnasts, sports events, anythign that has bodies in motion is immenselly helpfull in conveying the action on paper.
How I do is I usually take a regular machine type sheet and I draw the sketch of how I want the shot to look like. Awfull, hideous stick figures, it doesn´t matter, as long as it gives you an idea of how you want the characters placed, the persepective, etc.
Then you proceed to implementing it on your canvas, paying special attention to anatomy and perspective.
I can never stress this one little trick;

FLIP your canvas; regularly.

Use a mirror, a light table, I don´t care
smile.gif

It´s THE best technique to spot errors in anatomy and perspective.
A face may look all nice and dandy when you draw it, but the moment you flip it, you notice errors that weren´t visible at first.
Hope that was helpfull, anything else I can help you with, just ask away.
Be warned, though: I´m no Adam Hugues or Serpieri, so I may still have tons of errors in my method as well.

C. Lee - Hi, C. Lee, thank you for your post and your warm welcome, I really like this little corner of the net you´ve set up
I really hope you like my Infiniteens and can´t wait to hear your thoughts about it.

Drakon - Hi, Drakon, thanks
LOL
I have a secret to tell regarding those designs you see in the Bloody Sport piece. They were all made on-the-spot, no previous study, profile shots or anything. I just drew them in a way that felt "right". Lots of improvisation going on at the time, which, IMHO worked on several parts but didn´t on others (Superman´s shorts).

Shampoo - Hi, Shampoo, thanks for your post
I´m sorry my stile isn´t your bag, but maybe in time we can change that?
wink.gif

I thank you too for your warm welcome, this sure seems like a very nice place.

Roma - Hi, Roma! Thanks, I too am a HUGE fan of Perez.
Well, I´m a huge fan of a lot of people, from Peresz to Charest, Cho, Hughes, Williams III, Gene Ha........ well, a lot of them.
Great that we have one in common.
smile.gif

OneDisturbedSOB - Oookay, you´re starting to freak me out.
Here, allow me to try to divert your attention from the poor bartender and his gloomy customers.
Dropkick it, Miss Braddock
smile.gif

IMAGE_4068b18555743.jpg

Nosebleed - Hello, Nosebleed
smile.gif

Crimson Dynamo - Thanks, Crimson Dynamo
smile.gif

Thanks for your comments, guys.
Here´s the rest of that sequential, hope you like it:

IMAGE_4068dc982711e.jpg

Great stuff man:up: glad you showed teh Black and whites it's shows much more detail than your colored work iMO.

Thanks, RAMORE, you´re right.

Infiniteens doesn´t have quite as much detail on the linework since I had to come to a solution of compromise.

What you´ve just seen was a 5-page submission I sent to several publishers (ultimatelly, it helped me land my gig at Image drawing Cloudburst).
I had 2 days to make the pencils for each of these 5 pages.
A walk in the park when compared to the much greater challenge that Infiniteens represented.

For Infiniteens I had to write, pencil, ink and colour 198-200 pages.
All by myself.
A recipe for a certain nervous breakdown.

I had to come to compromise, so, when time came for the artwork I decided to use a more relaxed lineart, investing most of my resources on the colors.

The reason for this choice was simple, Infiniteens takes place in a small new england town. It´s a tale about growing up, about 4 young kids about to enter adulthood (Bev is only 19).

I needed to capture that feeling of purity ond inocence and so I invested most of the resources replicating the "naif" style of coloring.

Infiniteens has an underlying nature theme, featuring lots of natural motifs, the autumn leaves, the ocean, the growing shadows...

Zeu said:
Kal El - Hi, Kal El. I don´t know if this is gonna be of any help but I use pretty much anything in my work (I have entire issues drawn over regular machine type paper); as long as it´s easy towork with and doesn´t ruin the linework, I use any materials available to get the job done. Initially, I used to recur to loads of picture reference for my buildings and I definitelly recommend it.
Or, preferably, drawing from life.
Look outside the window and try to capture on paper the building block in front of you.
In time, there are certain details that you´ll learn to draw from memory and you won´t second guess as much (a crucial notch in your M.O. when you have deadlines to kill... I mean maim.... I mean........).

I will try your advice. Your a wonderful person to help a fellow artist out. Thanks a lot.

BTW Great Psylocke!!

LOL
Now you´re making me blush.

Thanks, KAL EL. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee