Daredevil Bob Gunton is Leland Owlsley aka The Owl

KDM1986

Midnight Sons Founder
Reaction score
I'm excited to see where they take this character.

I didn't expect to see him this early. And Bob Gunton is playing him, that's just awesome. He's a great actor. I'm not convinced that he'll be wearing a costume though. He might just be another crime boss who's nickname is "The Owl."

Will he be a rival to Fisk do you reckon?

The Owl never wore a costume anyway, just an ugly green suit.

The Owl is an odd character because he showed from the beginning that Daredevil was best fighting organized crime. Unfortunately, the Owl almost never worked well in that role. Eventually, they figured out that the Kingpin was much better for it. Since then, the Owl has gotten weirder and weirder. At the same time, though, he works well as either a pre-Kingpin or as the guy who always crawls out of the sewers when the Kingpin is taken down.

My guess is he'll just be a crime boss. The Owl's only real power was really light bones so he could glide. Given the actor, I don't really see that. If he's just a crime boss, I would have preferred Eric Slaughter, but he might be pretty obscure these days. The Owl is the first original Daredevil supervillain (Electro being the first supervillain and the Fixer being the first villain), so I can't be against including him.

Probably, at least that's how I'd do it. You could have several comic book foes as rivals of Fisk's. Mr. Fear, Purple Man (ok he's more tied to Jessica Jones, but there's no reason why he couldn't appear in both shows), The Owl, and eventually even The Hood, etc.

Probably, at least that's how I'd do it. You could have several comic book foes as rivals of Fisk's. Mr. Fear, Purple Man (ok he's more tied to Jessica Jones, but there's no reason why he couldn't appear in both shows), The Owl, and eventually even The Hood, etc.

In the interview he mentioned the Westies being in the show.

Definitely could see him being a crime boss pre Fisk. Their are a few ways they could take him. Gunton is s plus in my book.

Guess I can't expect the unstable cannibalistic crime boss, too much physicality for an old dude.

Great actor, will be despicable no doubt.

He can still be unstable and cannibalistic, Gunton's age has nothing to do with that.

Gunton was a great antagonist in my favourite film of all time so I'm super excited about this. I had a feeling Owl was going to be in it but I didn't think they would go with someone this old.

Stunning that the owl has been cast but bullseye hasn't yet.

Oh well. Owl get over it :D

Can't wait to see him in action

Regardless of age I hope Gunton is enthused about it, if he is we are guaranteed a solid performance because he has the talent to wow.
Just hope that they have good doubles.

In the panel, Gunton seemed really enthusiastic, commenting on the quality of the script and saying that Owlsley has a sardonic wit that could make him a stealthy favourite character for some.

I'm wondering if they'll save Bullseye for season 2, just to differentiate the show from the DD movie. Or maybe they'll gradually build toward him throughout the first season.

... leave the gliding cape alone until we're several seasons in.

Bullseye might not show up until season 2, as they seem to be concentrating on DD's early years first...

I'm wondering if that's true for Elektra as well. As long as there will be a season 2 ;)

I'm guessing they won't give him the Wolverine claws they gave him at one point in the comics.

Probably more of a scheming type.
Be cool of he has the hair, his face is just right.

... leave the gliding cape alone until we're several seasons in.

As I mentioned in another thread, if this gets a season 2 it won't happen until late 2017 or 2018 at the earliest because they're making Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & The Defenders next, and those seem to be happening at least 6 months apart.

Anyone think the Owl will ever be able to turn his head 360 degrees or both his eyes might be able to move separately? Or is that too far fetched for a show like this?

I don't see why they couldn't film Daredevil season 2 and Jessica Jones season 1 simultaneously.

Two reasons:
One - it's not the plan (or close to the plan). They have two and a half additional shows first.
Second - these are relatively high budget productions so Netflix can't stretch its resources too thin.

Anyone think the Owl will ever be able to turn his head 360 degrees or both his eyes might be able to move separately? Or is that too far fetched for a show like this?

I doubt they will spend on money on that.

I think given Gunton's age, Owl will play the role Alexander Bont or Don Rigoletto played in the comics, the guy was in charge of the underworld before Kingpin displaced him. Since the first season seems to be about Kingpin's rise, it makes sense to show his predecessor and putting Owl in that role makes sense, Owl is the first crime boss DD faced off against in the comics. I doubt Owl will have any over the top powers or be very physical, given Gunton's age, but he will have a commanding presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"