Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO... and Comes Back Again

Silver Surfer

Power Cosmic
Reaction score
Bob Iger has stepped down as CEO of the Walt Disney Company (DIS), effective immediately. Bob Chapek is the new CEO, the board of directors announced on Tuesday. He most recently served as chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.

Iger has assumed the role of executive chairman and will direct the company's creative endeavours, the company said.

Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO. Bob Chapek replaces him - CNN

Sounds like it is going to be a relatively smooth transition.
Nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I think he was planning to retire a few years back but wanted to wait until Shanghai Disneyland was up and running.

Its still a year earlier than planned.

First impression is health reason.

Hmmm wonder why it was so immediate. Usually these things are drawn out

Something is definitely up, sudden exits like this are not without reason. If this was really planned in advance there would have been a transition period with advance notice. Disney's stock just fell 2.5% as well.

He was supposed to step down at the end of 2021 . Also Chapek would have been one of the candidates to become CEO when Iger retired. Hope everything is OK with Iger.

This is quite sudden. I can’t help but suspect that something is going on behind the scenes that we’re not aware of.

Yeah some **** is definitely going down.

Yeah, again he originally wanted to step down in 2018. He’s probably just overworked.

Bob Chapek, huh? Guy best known for tightening the wallet on park operational budgets in the face of soaring profits? Guy who has minimum wage employees saying cutesy phrases and playing 'characters' because he doesn't want to have to pay the rates of union actors? Okay then.

Chapek is apparently despised by hardcore Disney fans for the way he runs the parks division . I don't really like the idea of Iger stepping down much at all myself. He was running things during the rise of the MCU, the return of Star Wars on film, and the Revival Era of Disney animated films so I'll miss the Iger Era of Disney. Really the only bad thing about Iger's run from a movie perspective is these mediocre live action remakes.

This guy's apparently ruthless.

Not a fan of Chapek at all, would much rather they had kept on the original plan with Staggs as the eventual CEO.

Chapek is apparently despised by hardcore Disney fans for the way he runs the parks division . I don't really like the idea of Iger stepping down much at all myself. He was running things during the rise of the MCU, the return of Star Wars on film, and the Revival Era of Disney animated films so I'll miss the Iger Era of Disney. Really the only bad thing about Iger's run from a movie perspective is these mediocre live action remakes.

The greatest run since Walt himself. Iger had vision and was savvy in a multitude of ways. Chapek is a slight surprise to me, although not unexpected. I was hoping Mayer or Peter Rice got the job.

Anyway, great thread on twitter by Matt Ball regarding this topic. Interesting read (and follow) for those looking for intelligent (non whiny) content on twitter.

Bob Chapek, huh? Guy best known for tightening the wallet on park operational budgets in the face of soaring profits? Guy who has minimum wage employees saying cutesy phrases and playing 'characters' because he doesn't want to have to pay the rates of union actors? Okay then.
Yeah I don’t like Chapek.

Well something happened behind the scenes that got him the job.

Scorsese calls their movies theme park rides and they get their panties in a wad and then turn around and hire a theme park executive as CEO. Lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"