Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO... and Comes Back Again

Not just industry, but it really should be based on your function within the company, not a company wide mandate for everyone.

It really depends on your industry. I can see the argument for needed to be able to whiteboard ideas in a room together. But then do that the 2-3 days you are in the office. If you’re not going to pay your employees better, at least give them some time and balance back.

Plus in my experience, it seems like most people are using their commute time to work, so if anything they are more productive.

Speaking to your your last point a more healthy benefit to a commuting employee in the morning is the 30-45 minutes you normally commuted could be used for extra sleep to be extra charged for the workday. Then in the afternoon that 30-45 minute ride could be you working instead like you said, instead of rushing out of the building to fight rush hour, your instead working a bit more on a project or task with more peace of mind and less stress. Its a huge benefit the pandemic showed us but at-least in America a-lot of companies are quite ready to embrace it due to that urge to cling to what existed pre covid.

its really sad because with where were at with mental health its such a huge plus.

There are probably a lot of factors in play. Devil's Advocate for a moment, but one reason that the management of a company might not want to embrace WFH, that isn't simply malice or incompetence on the part of the execs? Employee morale. . . or more specifically, employee morale when some set of your employees *do* have to come in to work because of the nature of their job. Its easy to say "Just let everyone who can work from home, work from home", but its a lot harder to get people to not resent when someone else can work from home and they *can't*. Doesn't matter if its an obvious consequence of someone else doing something else- they are still getting a benefit that you aren't, and humans are by nature prone to envy. It might be easier, or at least *seem* easier, to just keep the status quo rather than dealing with all the knock-on effects of half your employees suddenly hating the other half.

( This would be why, in the long term, employers really need to design WFH into their hiring from the beginning, so that every employee has the same understanding about it, and factors it into what kind of pay and benefits they accept. )

I do software development so I can do WFH until I retire. Heck, I went to the office only once in December and that was for the X-mas party. :hehe:

Since COVID era started, not only I've been more productive, I've also saved money. Less commuting (a monthly pass used to cost me 80-85 bucks), downgraded my phone plan (paying less data so I went from 40 bucks to 25'ish a month nowadays), no more daily lunches at fancy downtown restaurants and food courts...

I'll be honest, I do less work at home *cough*. However, I am much more productive. And like someone mentioned above, mental health has been much better too.

They lost 2 million subscribers last quarter. They just don’t create enough new or good content to lure in new people. If you’re not a Star Wars or Marvel fan, why would you subscribe to see their shows?

But, hey. Iger's planning to rebound by focusing on milking even more franchises, such as developing yet another Toy Story film, even though the franchise clearly ended multiple times, so... yay?

Campea mentioned they had hired around 14K the previous year or something. Basically, thank you Putin for your stupid war on Ukraine and the energy crisis and inflation it created. Lay offs all over the world.

Last edited:
Wow, Iger really decided to throw all of his good will & reputation down the toilet just two months in...

But hey, look over there at the shiny new sequels we're announcing! Not an original project in sight! Yaaaaay! :o
dent-you-either-die-a-hero-or-you-live-long-enough-to-see-yourself-become-the-villain.gif

Bob Iger On Isaac Perlmutter, Kevin Feige And Nelson Peltz – Deadline
Disney CEO Bob Iger today called Marvel chairman Isaac Perlmutter’s backing of activist investor Nelson Peltz “a curious dynamic.” Peltz of Trian Group this morning abandoned his battle with …

In an interview with CNBC, Iger indicated that Peltz wasn’t happy at losing oversight of Marvel’s movie-making operations.

“Our filings indicate that both Ike and Nelson were working together to try to encourage the board or convince the board to put Nelson on the board,” Iger said. “They have a relationship that dates back quite some time. We bought Marvel in 2009. I promised Ike the job that he would continue to run Marvel after that. Not forever, necessarily. But after that. And in 2015 he was intent on firing Kevin Feige who was running Marvel’s studio, the movie-making [operation] at the time, and I thought that was a mistake and stepped in to prevent that from happening. I think Kevin is an incredibly, incredibly talented executive that you know, the Marvel track record speaks for itself. And so I moved the movie-making operation of Marvel out from under Ike into the movie studio under Alan Horn” (with Feige reporting directly to Horn, who retired from the company in 2021).

They lost 2 million subscribers last quarter. They just don’t create enough new or good content to lure in new people. If you’re not a Star Wars or Marvel fan, why would you subscribe to see their shows?

their content is the weakest among streamers if you ask me. And you could probably get disney plus 3 times in say Jan, May and December and not miss much just binging.

But, hey. Iger's planning to rebound by focusing on milking even more franchises, such as developing yet another Toy Story film, even though the franchise clearly ended multiple times, so... yay?
I mean seriously how many times are they gonna drag the actors out their to pretend “this is it” and how emotional all them were filming? Move on already with new content that is interesting

Wow, Iger really decided to throw all of his good will & reputation down the toilet just two months in...

But hey, look over there at the shiny new sequels we're announcing! Not an original project in sight! Yaaaaay! :o

Most of their animated projects from the last two years were original. They have Elemental, Wish, and Elio coming as well.

Most of their animated projects from the last two years were original. They have Elemental, Wish, and Elio coming as well.
That was before Iger's return. He seems to want to focus on proven franchises, like Disney isn't already the #1 play-it-safe-and-follow-the-exact-same-recipes-over-and-over-again studio.

^True but I doubt original things fade out after next year. Most of the original movies from the last two years were greenlit during Igers time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"