Bolivar Trask is black?

imaperson2 said:
i dont think that j alba is such a good example because she had contacts and her hair was lighter, trying to make her look white/American
agreed. what ethnicity is she anyway?

imaperson2 said:
i dont think that j alba is such a good example because she had contacts and her hair was lighter, trying to make her look white/American

those were outstanding characteristics of sue..... but she had blonde hair since sin city.....matters little

yeah, i hate "purists" like this too.

why not pick an existing black character from the comics to use? because there are none. these "classic" characters were written when peculiarly everyone in the US was still white. i wonder where all the black people were? oh right, in luke cage comics.

yes, bolivar trask is an important character. but i've read almost all the x-men comics since giant-sized (i know he was introduced earlier, but he hasnt been a presense for a long time), and i still dont remember what he looked like. so, i wouldnt care what he looked like in the movie as long as he was written and played well.

I consider myself a purist but making Boliver black is actually an improvement. As someone stated earlier, all the villians are no longer old, white guys. Having a black dude hating mutants is an interesting commentary on the capacity for all humans to hate equally despite the lessons of the past.

In the comics they always were sure to show blacks included in mutie-hating mobs. It shows that race wouldnt matter when there are other, more urgent differences to attack.

Having said that I think Big Show(WWE) wouldve made a better kingpin than MCD. :)

cookiva said:
He used to be a major character, yes. But his ethnicity wasnt what made his character. He isnt like Forge, who has to be Native American, or Banshee, who has to be a white irishman. Trask doesnt conform to any certain group.

You're right...he was white. And I would bet everything I own that these groups would be ticked off if they took say....Banshee and made him English or took Storm and made her white or even made Moira chinese. I've seen people throwing fits because Storm or Peter doesn't have accents. And why does Forge have to be Native American? Are you saying that just because they are white that means that it's ok to change them but OMG if they're African American or Native American it's just disrespectful or down right offensive to change their race? What makes white people/characters any different? Not as significant huh?

Because ethnic characters are rare while white characters are over-abundant.

It's ok to make a couple of secondary characters hispanic, black or asian.

josh8 said:
yeah, i hate "purists" like this too.

why not pick an existing black character from the comics to use? because there are none. these "classic" characters were written when peculiarly everyone in the US was still white. i wonder where all the black people were? oh right, in luke cage comics.

yes, bolivar trask is an important character. but i've read almost all the x-men comics since giant-sized (i know he was introduced earlier, but he hasnt been a presense for a long time), and i still dont remember what he looked like. so, i wouldnt care what he looked like in the movie as long as he was written and played well.

I'm NOT a purist nor am I a racist. It just annoys the hell out of me when they do things like this. It's bad enough that they change everything else about the character but to change their entire race and confuse even more people is just stupid. Hey I have an idea..let's make Superman Korean..or Jesus black...it just doesn't seem right. It seems like half way through the production they're like "oh crap..we haven't met our quota of minorities...we better get someone who's not white". It's crap.

onejeremytogo said:
You're right...he was white. And I would bet everything I own that these groups would be ticked off if they took say....Banshee and made him English or took Storm and made her white or even made Moira chinese. I've seen people throwing fits because Storm or Peter doesn't have accents. And why does Forge have to be Native American? Are you saying that just because they are white that means that it's ok to change them but OMG if they're African American or Native American it's just disrespectful or down right offensive to change their race? What makes white people/characters any different? Not as significant huh?

Ok first off...I kinda see what you mean. I really do.
But, a lot time the ethnicity of certain characters totally accounts for a large portion of the essence of that character...such as with Forge or Banshee or Thunderbird.
However, with Trask, him being white/caucasian doesn't really need to be an essential of who that character is or what he does, his motivations and ideals make him Trask. So that is why for the most part, it doesn't matter at all really.

Oh and Kingpin is 6' 7" in the comics...a tall man, not a short guy.

you can't compare turning Storm another race with changing the race of Trask. The Marvel universe is like what? 80% white, changing the race of Trask, isnt that big a deal he's not a popular character and being white isn't fundamental to his character, Storm is from AFRICA and one of what ? 2 black x-men, what sense would it make to change her race and have no diversity, it's not like they made Wolverine Jamaican, it's Trask, who cares
?

WalkingDead said:
Oh and Kingpin is 6' 7" in the comics...a tall man, not a short guy.

Yeah I saw that in the Marvel Directory..but still ..I could have sworn back in the 50's he was originally a short guy.

onejeremytogo said:
I'm NOT a purist nor am I a racist. It just annoys the hell out of me when they do things like this. It's bad enough that they change everything else about the character but to change their entire race and confuse even more people is just stupid. Hey I have an idea..let's make Superman Korean..or Jesus black...it just doesn't seem right. It seems like half way through the production they're like "oh crap..we haven't met our quota of minorities...we better get someone who's not white". It's crap.

Just to let you know, Jesus very well could have had an African descent. At that time many Arabian cultures had African people and people with African heritage living in the area Jesus is so well-known to have been born and traveled.

onejeremytogo said:

what's wrong with Jesus being black? does it say in the bible what race he was?

WalkingDead said:
Just to let you know, Jesus very well could have had an African descent. At that time many Arabian cultures had African people and people with African heritage living in the area Jesus is so well-known to have been born and traveled.

I'm aware of that. I was just using him as an example because everyone knows him as flat out Jewish with all Caucasion pictures....lol

xstormfan said:
what's wrong with Jesus being black? does it say in the bible what race he was?

and yeah I think it does say he was Jewish

onejeremytogo said:

Ok your really dense and getting on my nerves, characters like Banshee,Storm, Forge their ethnicity is apart of who they are. Trask,Kinpin,Callisto their heritage is not a major factor in their persona.

Now take characters like WarMachine and Ironman, WM is black IM is white, now they can be either or simply because there ethnicity is not a major factor in who they are and portrayed.

While Daredevil is known to be an Irish catholic, so he would not be a character that you would change to another race because his ethnicity is a major part of who he is.

Do you get it?

onejeremytogo said:
Yeah I saw that in the Marvel Directory..but still ..I could have sworn back in the 50's he was originally a short guy.

Ok, 50's? Kinpin wasn't created til the 1960's

deemar325 said:
Ok your really dense and getting on my nerves, characters like Banshee,Storm, Forge their ethnicity is apart of who they are. Trask,Kinpin,Callisto their heritage is not a major factor in their persona.

Now take characters like WarMachine and Ironman, WM is black IM is white, now they can be either or simply because there ethnicity is not a major factor in who they are and portrayed.

While Daredevil is known to be an Irish catholic, so he would not be a character that you would change to another race because his ethnicity is a major part of who he is.

Do you get it?

If I'm getting on your nerves then why are you responding? And once again...Superman's ethnic background wasn't significant either. So you wanna make him Korean? All I'm trying to say is that I hate it when they do things like this. Granted his race has nothing to do with the character but they are still making a completely different character by doing this. What about that do you not get? It's not hard to understand. Basically they are taking him (one of my favorite characters by the way) and changing him to fit their needs. It's annoying. I understand that there has to be some change for it to fit into the movie i.e. background stories but what does changing their race do? What's the point?

onejeremytogo said:
I'm aware of that. I was just using him as an example because everyone knows him as flat out Jewish with all Caucasion pictures....lol

The original Hebrews where not what you would consider caucasion, if anything Jesus looked more like Osama bin Laden than Jim Caveizel.

onejeremytogo said:
If I'm getting on your nerves then why are you responding? And once again...Superman's ethnic background wasn't significant either. So you wanna make him Korean? All I'm trying to say is that I hate it when they do things like this. Granted his race has nothing to do with the character but they are still making a completely different character by doing this. What about that do you not get? It's not hard to understand. Basically they are taking him (one of my favorite characters by the way) and changing him to fit their needs. It's annoying. I understand that there has to be some change for it to fit into the movie i.e. background stories but what does changing their race do? What's the point?

Superman should always look the way he does now, he's to Iconic as being white with blue eyes and black hair. I wouldn't want to change that, but at the same time Trask at the end of the day is not Superman or Lex Luthor for that matter, so why does it matter if he's black?

onejeremytogo said:
and yeah I think it does say he was Jewish

Because he's Jewish, he can't have African Ancestry?, there is much evidence that he did.

deemar325 said:
The original Hebrews where not what you would consider caucasion, if anything Jesus looked more like Osama bin Laden than Jim Caveizel.

I was saying that he was portrayed in his pictures as a white man which he was not. And since I wasn't there I don't know exactly what ancestry history may or may not prove that he had. I don't care for that matter..I'm not here to argue what Jesus looked like.

WalkingDead said:

I spent a year in Iraq and Kuwait, and there were a good number of 'black arabs' who's are not immigrants but naturalized middle-eastners.

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"