No Time To Die (Bond 25)

Wrong kind of director completely (for me) for this kind of film. Boyle, a great director, but not for Bond.

Agreed, I don't like his movies in general but he has a style that works for a certain sensibility, not for Bond. I think the producers are too obsessed with arty credibility, James Bond is an action franchise, embrace that.

I think he's an intelligent, sound headed director at hard, grit, beneath the surface of life stories, with a great ear for dialogue and humanising emotion, he is this generation's Ken Loach. What he isn't, is someone to unload spectacular action and garner a balance of realism and off key 'zing' in an international spy film. A straight John Le Carre spy film, maybe, but not Bond.

Yeah, pretty much how I feel on it.

That being said, I didn't love Mendes either, so whatever. It's not like this is a step down, it's just not particularly the direction I'd like to see them go.

Boyle has a sense of kenetic energy in his films rivaled only by early Spike Lee and 80s Scorsese. He couldn’t be further than Ken Loach if he tried.

I think Boyle is going to make a Bond film. Sure, it will have his own style in some ways, but I don't see Boyle taking Bond and making it something it is not. Boyle is talented and knows better.

I've never seen any of Boyle's films. Why is his style wrong for Bond? Is he too much like Michael Apted or too much like Lee Tamahori? Which direction is it?

I've never seen any of Boyle's films. Why is his style wrong for Bond? Is he too much like Michael Apted or too much like Lee Tamahori? Which direction is it?

I think he's like Ken Loach, but evidently, that's incorrect to have that view.

Every director has their own approach and someone who's been working a while in the industry more so. Doesn't mean he can't do a film outside his usual wheelhouse.

But we know what we'll get with Boyle.

I'm fine with Boyle directing . If anything, its time for Purvis and Wade to get the shove IMO.

They've been writing these films in one way or another for 20 years , and its time to have some fresh blood and a fresh pairs of eyes in the scripting department.

He's not "wrong" for it as such. Not any more than the last two guys, anyway. "Wrong" is subjective.

He'll do fine. We'll just have another auteur guy directing a Bond movie, which still feels a little weird/out of place to me. But hey, with a good script, a Boyle movie will be just fine.

What I do like about him is he just screams "Britain", he's a big iconic guy over there, handling Olympic opening ceremonies and stuff. So that's pretty cool in a Bond sense.

Also another thing, all the good actors play different/challenging roles so why do we presume a director wouldn't want to make movies that he doesn't usually make?

Watch Sunshine with Chris Evans, Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne and Michelle Yeoh.

I don't see what's so wrong about an auteur director for Bond. He as a character is just as worthy as any other property for that pedigree. I'd rather someone with a vision who can give us something special than a work for hire that will just direct something we'll forget about in a week. This is a scenario I wished happened more often. If Boyle's got an idea, then it's something he wanted to do himself and has something to say which is a nice change. Compared to a lot of blockbusters where they just get hired onto a script that's already there and it needs to come out on a certain date. Boyle with Craig's Bond is the thing I can get truly excited about for a returning Craig Bond.

Last edited:
E5TTF57.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"