Bought and Thought 1/2

WeeZiTe

Superhero
Reaction score
Nobody has done it yet, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

All New X-Men #5- Another good issue that focused on the kids deciding to stay here and try to right what's wrong. This issue kind of touched upon what everyone thought the ending of this story would be: Whenever they go back to their timeline, Xavier is going to wipe their minds and forget that this ever happened. They figured that while they're here, they should try to at least stop their current selves. Some nice character moments with Jean here, who I'm really enjoying. Angel seems to be the only one who isn't cool with what's going on, so let's see how that unfolds. Not sure how I feel about the new Beast design. I hated cat Beast, so I'm happy they went more ape-like again, but I think it's kind of a meh design. Maybe it'll grow on me.

American Vampire #34- **** am I going to miss this series while it's on hiatus and this issue set up the rest of the series ****ing AWESOMELY. The Gray Trader looks like an awesome villain and I can't wait to find out more about them. The splash page that shows hints about the future also looks ****ing awesome. Looks like Skinner gets involved with Hell's Angels, which is a ****ing great idea and my favorite character from the series looks like he's finally going to make his return. It's going to be hard to wait for the next issue.

Batman Inc. #6- This was a pretty good issue. I haven't been as big of a fan of Morrison's run as a lot of people, but I'm enjoying to see how it's beginning to get tied up. Still hope he doesn't kill Damian, even though I have a feeling that he might. :(

Batman: The Dark Knight #15- This issue had one of the stupidest, comic booky solutions to a problem in recent memory. Basically, Scarecrow is able to gas Gotham with a new highly potent fear toxin that no one has a cure for. They found out that the only place they can quickly secure the cure is within Batman's blood. So what does Batman do? Get in his batplane and spray the infected area with his blood, curing everyone and almost killing himself. Comics, folks.

Hellboy in Hell #2- I think I might drop this as a monthly and pick up the trade. It's not because I think it's a bad series, because it's not... It's actually really, really great. But I feel like Hellboy stuff is just better when it's in collected editions. anyway, Hellboy continues his journey through hell and finds out more details about his early life. Great series, but might be better as a trade than a monthly.

Iron Man #5- This was the first issue that I really enjoyed in this series. I feel like Gillen nailed the smart-ass-but-still-a-good-guy aspect of Tony.The Extermis story has been wrapped up and Tony has turned his attention to space. I don't really know much about the Guardians of the Galaxy, but I'm intriguged by the team and can't wait for their monthly to start. It seems like Iron Man is going to kind of set up the title. But yeah, this was a solid issue and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Manhattan Projects #8- This is such a great ****ing series and this issue was no exception. I feel like this series is hard to review because it's so strange and out there, but in a good way. To kind of blandly sum up what's going on, the good guys, made up of Albert Einstein, Joseph Oppenheimer, various US, Russian, and Nazi scientists, are going up against the bad guys, made up of powerful higher ups, the Freemasons, Harry S. Truman, and a computerized FDR. It's ****ing crazy and GREAT.

New Avengers #1- This was an obvious set up issue, but still entertaining. I was wondering how Hickman was going to have Black Panther join a group that he was so vehemently against just a couple years ago. I feel like he did a decent job finding a motive. I love Hickman, so I'll be checking it out.

Punk Rock Jesus #6- I really loved this miniseries, but I don't know how I feel about this ending. I ended up really liking all of these characters and maybe it was naive of me, but I was kind of hoping for a happier ending. Not to say that this book was a total downer, because it wasn't... In fact, the immediate kind of went out on an uplifting note, I guess you can say. Anyway, Sean Murphy really did an excellent job on this series in both the writing and art department. This was a really thought provoking series that really delivered on both the badass and emotional fronts. It makes you thankful to have places like Image and Vertigo where you can mass produce these awesome little stories that you wouldn't be able to make at the Big 2.

Talon #3- I'm really enjoying this title more than I expected to. This issue features a bank heist that goes wrong. Again, there's nothing really spectacular about this book, but it's always solid. I hope the rumors that Tynion is taking over Red Hood and the Outlaws is true because I'd love to see him get higher profile work. I kind of wish he'd take over Teen Titans instead though, because I love the Titans and that book is pretty awful.

The Flash #15- This might be my vote for most underrated book in the New 52. I'm really loving this Grodd story and this story kind of built up to a pretty epic conclusion. Manapul's writing has been top notch, but his is even better. The art in this book is just absolutely beautiful and for the life of me, I don't understand why it doesn't get more recognition. But yeah, like I said, awesome ending to this story. Excited to see how Barry responds now and if he'll team up with the Rogue's to eliminate the threat.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #19- Ultimate Spider-Man has always been my favorite book from Bendis and he's still doing a great job on this title all of these years later even though it is completely different than when it started. There's a really, really nice J. Jonah Jameson moment in this book that I enjoyed. It sets up Miles first meeting with Venom quite nicely. Just a solid book that I look forward to reading every month.

Only three comics this week. In addition to those comics I also finally bit the bullet and bought the 3 most recent issues of Hawkeye. Every issue I scan and every issue I think, "that looks pretty good" and then I pass on it. I figured with Aja and Kate, and what seems to be a pretty entertaining take on Clint, I might as well get what I could. Sadly, I didn't enjoy the actual reading of them as much as I thought I would. I thought issues 4 and 5 were decent but the art was a bit of a turn off. Issue 6 had better art but the story wasn't as good and the 'bro's' who turned me off of issue 1 came back and were as annoying as ever. I'll skim the next issue but at a time when I'm looking to keep my comic spending at a minimum, I don't know if it's worth investing in the title more than I already have.

Justice League Dark 15 - Definately better than last issue, so that's a step in the right direction. Janin's art is gorgeous as always. Frankenstein continues on with the cast as he joins up with Deadman, Xanadu, Constantine, and Black Orchid (who, herself, will be leaving the book soon) to search out Zantanna and Timothy Hunter. They arrive in the place where the two disappeared to and find out that their magic or whatever is pretty negated. I found it funny that Deadman, the lucky fellow he is, manages to somehow become alive, celebrates for four seconds, and then gets shot in the head. Sucks to be that guy.

All in all though it was a good book. It's still one of my favorites and I'm glad Lemire's keeping the quality top notch.

Also, I'd never seen Janin's work prior to this book so I was pleased to find that he also drew the Flashpoint mini, Deadman & the Flying Graysons. I picked up the first issue of that at Half Priced Books and really enjoyed it. I hope to get the next two eventually, along with what I don't have of Vengeance of Batman and the main Flashpoint mini.

Batman Incorporated 6 - Eh, it's third on my list of favorite Batman books and I only buy three. Honestly, if I wasn't already so invested in this book I'd drop it, but after years of reading, and only being 6 issues away from the end, I might as well finish it up. This issue bored me, literally putting me to sleep, but I get the feeling I'll like it more when I read the two Incorporated volumes together.

Sucks about Knight though. That was a pretty disturbing image when the bad guy threw him with his neck all floppy.

All New X-Men 5 - You know what I like about this book? It's something that I hadn't really thought about initially, but we always have comics where characters go to a dark future and they have to change it, or somehow correct it. This is the flip of that where we ARE the dark future and we get to see when the past comes to us to fix it. I think that's a great take on the current status quo for the X-Men.

As for the issue, as we know, Beast gets a new look. It's nothing amazing but it could grow on me. I LOVED the big splash page of Jean seeing her life. I like it includes so much of Jean's past, even moments that are typically ignored, like the Revolution period. I also liked seeing a glimpse of Onslaught from X-Men 53 and the Adventures of Cyclops of Phoenix.

I think the original 5 staying in the future for the time being was handled very well and the idea that Bendis seems to want to further Aaron's idea to have Kitty become the modern day Xavier is great.

I remember when it was announced that Bendis was going to the X-Men... posters were saying things like, "Yeah! Take that X-Men fans, now it's your turn!" Well, as a longtime hardcore X-Men fan... I'd like to say Thank You :D He's done a fantastic job so far. Aaron and Remender got me real excited for W&tXM and UXF, but they trailed off right about the time of AvX and I don't feel either really recovered to their previous quality (though still good). Now Bendis' All New X-Men has me excited like those two used to excite me and I hope his run is as long as his Avengers.

Best and Worst of the Month

Best: All New X-Men #5 - It was a solid comic with gorgeous art. I've missed Jean a great deal and was annoyed that an "original 5" Jean was taking her place but Bendis has sold me on the idea.

Batman Incorporated #6 - Maybe I should just quit the title and buy the back issues at one time when they come out.

All New X-Men #5

Beast saving Beast is a little creepy but awesome in so many ways. I love when Jean was in Beast's mind and we got to see the classic blue fur. Everyone deciding to stay was great - and Angels concern with the lack of any mention of him was a great tag-on.

Batman Incorporated #6

Damien's reaction when the cat went to swipe at him...awww, so cute. The action was great with nice dramatic moments with Beryl.

Batman Beyond Unlimited #11

Terry's battle with King Joker left a great cliffhanger...literally. It's nice to see Grayson and Drake around, helping as best as they can. Lobo returning should be fun!

Ultimate Spider-Man #19

Return of Venom - AWESOME! I wonder if it has a host or not? The J.J Jonah moment was sweet. Of course this issue had to end with me yelling for more!

Teen Titans #15

Joker continues to torture the family. And I love Kid Flash as always. I think I'll keep picking this comic up.

The Flash #15

Artwork was outstanding. Slow with the story, but next month I expect it to jump back into it's normal pace. This book has been outstanding since the get go.

Iron Man #5

Gillen's work so far has been up and down. I'm looking forward to seeing Stark venture off into space, but Potts really didn't seem to care at all. The set-up into space could've had a sweeter impact on the relationship.

I hope Hickman addresses the obvious rift between Black Panther and Namor relatively soon in New Avengers. I'd imagine those 2 not being able to stay in the same room for more than a second w/o sparks flying.

I though New Avengers was pretty good. Yeah, nothing really happened and the name New Avengers makes zero sense this day and age at Marvel but I'm really enjoying the voice Hickman is providing the franchise right now. I really enjoyed the final pages with Panther's thoughts on the rest of the team. Epting's art was very crisp too...:up:

Flash #15: The Rogues are outright saving the city. Part of me loves that, because the Rogues are awesome, but then it's so weird to see them acting like outright heroes, even if it is from an extreme circumstance. I absolutely loved the last few pages, where Barry sees images of potential outcomes of the Gorilla invasion before waking up.

Morbius, the Living Vampire #1: Hey all, I'm the one person who was actually excited for a Morbius book! And good lord do I hope it picks up the pace soon. I am okay with the somewhat self-deprecating tone, but it also seems like he's being presented as significantly less powerful than usual, and that makes me wonder how interesting this will be in the long run. Also, I truly have no idea what the plot will be. Is Morbius vs. Street Punks going to drag out? Will he stay in this run-down area that apparently the authorities and super-heroes generally ignore? Will this title last long enough for us to find out? I have a soft spot for the Living Vampire, thanks to his prominent role in the 90's Spider-Man cartoon, so I hope it steps things up quickly.

I would be excited for a Morbius book since Joe Keating is writing it (huge Glory fan here), but knowing Marvel, it'll probably get canned in 5 issues and leave me heartbroken.

Morbius was pretty meh. I don't think I will be picking up the next issue. I think the 90s Morbius comic was a bit underrated.

Justice League Dark continues to be one of my favouite DC new 52 titles. Sort of a transitional story to the next arc. The ending with Deadman was pretty funny.

All New X-Men another good issue although the 'Cyclops is the worst thing ever' stuff is gets tiresome at times for me. Not sure how I feel about Beast new look.

Ultimate Spider-Man I think I might drop this. I'm not super engaged with the story or characters.

I hope Hickman addresses the obvious rift between Black Panther and Namor relatively soon in New Avengers. I'd imagine those 2 not being able to stay in the same room for more than a second w/o sparks flying.

I want to say I read an intervew where Hickman said this would be delt with in the first issue, or maybe first arc. I'm guessing it's first arc.

I though New Avengers was pretty good. Yeah, nothing really happened and the name New Avengers makes zero sense this day and age

This group should probably be The Secret Avengers...

I want to say I read an intervew where Hickman said this would be delt with in the first issue, or maybe first arc. I'm guessing it's first arc.

1355525972.jpg

1355525974.jpg

1355525996.jpg

That conversation looks uncomfortable. I wonder if Namor is even a little remorseful. Doubt it though.

The new part does sound jarring, none are really new and this isn't really about the avengers either. Illumaniti by itself would have worked as a title.

Has Namor even been heard from since he lost his Phoenix Five powers?

The new part does sound jarring, none are really new and this isn't really about the avengers either. Illumaniti by itself would have worked as a title.

I would even be satisfied with New Avengers: Illuminati since the concept technically spun out of the original NA book. These guys aren't the "Avengers" in a sense. They serve as Avengers but this is about their secret little group and the interpersonal relationships therein.

Maybe I'm nitpicking...I dunno.

First comic book day of the year, and the first spoilers of 2013!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT OF 1/2/13:

BATMAN BEYOND UNLIMITED #11: This anthology series which reprints DC Comics' successful "Beyond" line of digital comics continues along with releasing many action packed pages of qualities. As usual there are three strips in this tome, and this time the core Batman Beyond strip is the lead one. Written by Adam Beechen, drawn by Norm Breyfogle and colored by Andrew Elder, the "10,000 Clowns" arc continues to wind on as it has for the better part of a year. Dana Tan's brother Doug has stood revealed as the Joker King, who has organized gangs of "Jokerz" from across the nation to become suicide bombers and destroy Gotham City. While Terry McGinnic/Batman has gathered allies new (Vigilante) and old (a middle aged Dick Grayson), the aged Bruce Wayne is dying of liver failure and is the first line of defense between the Tan family and their own wayward son. Doug sees himself as the true heir of the Joker's legacy, which leads to a brutal confrontation between he and Batman. The secondary strip is a Superman Beyond strip by writer J.T. Krul and artist Howard Porter, which involves an alien seeking to get revenge on Superman over a case of mistaken identity. The final strip is a reoccurring one; an origin strip for one of the members of the JLU. For this case, Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen and artist Ben Caldwell tell the story of Big Barda as she went from Apokolips slave to essentially Wonder Woman's stand in on the team of the future. Beechen's been working on his Batman Beyond comic for the better part of two years, from a six issue mini series to a year long ongoing and now this digital-first publication, and it continues to be his best work at DC Comics. It successfully marries the continuity from the popular turn of the century cartoon series with DC lore in an entertaining whole. While this is a $3.99 priced tome, it always is worth it through page count alone.

INVINCIBLE #99: After a promising uptick with the previous issue, INVINCIBLE is suddenly back in shaky territory for me again with this issue. Robert Kirkman has literally inserted an anecdote about the pressure and challenge of maintaining quality on a creator owned book once it reaches a triple digit number in story, and I can imagine this is based on his current task. Unfortunately, this issue chose to tell its story using approximately 20 splash pages and one double page splash. While this naturally did give artists Ryan Ottley, Cliff Rathburn and John Rauch time to shine, it produced a comic which was incredibly quick to read. The funny thing is that INVINCIBLE WAR some time back was accused of being overly compressed, with some pages having dozens of tiny panels to get things over with faster so the Conquest fight could begin. This is the exact opposite; Mark's battle with Dinosaurus is drug out for little other reason than to make sure it lasted until issue #100. A part of me imagines this could be an homage to Dan Jurgens' work on DEATH OF SUPERMAN, where the panels would get bigger and bigger leading up to the climatic death, although there's one problem; that gimmick was innovative when done almost 20 years ago, but doesn't quite work as well now. Considering how wonderful the art is, it is hard to criticize an issue which goes out of its way to spotlight it, but I can't escape the fact that it feels like a cheat. There have been so many over the top battles in this series that this just seems like a gimmick to make it "seem" like the biggest. To a degree Kirkman utilized a similar tactic with the end of his CAPES, INC. work, which ran as a back-up in INVINCIBLE for a while. The bottom line was this was a story told in 21 panels, and while there is a lot to look at and developments made, it still walks, quacks, and swims like an issue stalling gimmick. I've enjoyed INVINCIBLE for a very long time, and it does genuinely pain me to see the book begin to make missteps as it gears towards a major anniversary issue. At the very least, if Mark does genuinely die, I won't have to fret about it being unnoticed by everyone he loves because he's mind swapped with a villain.

MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE #1: For the third straight year, Marvel Comics has chosen to begin a year by launching a new spin off from their flagship Spider-Man title (at least until last month), AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. The year 2011 kicked off with the relaunch of VENOM as well as AVENGING SPIDER-MAN coming along later that summer. Last year saw the relaunch of SCARLET SPIDER debut right at the start of the year as well. Despite there being some difficulty in launching successful spin-offs to ASM for years, all three of these secondary titles are still in print and selling at profitable levels some 1-2 years later. Thus, Spider-Man editor Stephen Wacker perhaps sees an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot, as well as retain a trademark by giving a fourth spin-off series to one of Spider-Man's most long running on and off enemies, Morbius the Living Vampire. Debuting in ASM #101, circa 1971, Morbius marked the first dip in the pool of Marvel's "horror" era of the time as a vampiric creation made by freak science instead of the occult. While Morbius was the star of some anthologies of the 70's such as VAMPIRE TALES and ADVENTURE INTO FEAR, this is the first time he's had his own ongoing series since 1995 when his then first ongoing series ended a run of 32 issues. Much like with VENOM, this new series was built up in an ASM story arc from the summer as well as with a "point one initiative" issue handled by the same writer of this new debut.

Writer Joe Keatinge, best known for HELL YEAH and Image Comics' relaunch of GLORY, has teamed up with artist Richard Elson and colorist Antonio Fabela to bring about what editor Sana Amanat claims "isn't just another vampire book". Marvel acknowledges that vampires has remained popular in pop culture thanks to such films like the "TWILIGHT" saga or TV shows like "TRUE BLOOD", although there is some attempt to not simply ride those coattails. Despite Blade's success in film, Marvel's been unable to successfully revive his or even Dracula's comic book series. With ASM #699.1 essentially acting as a zero issue to this, the gist is that Morbius has escaped from the Raft super-prison after his latest capture by Spider-Man after yet another attempt to cure himself has gone horribly wrong, and has wound up in Brownsville. The issue takes a darkly humorous approach to summarizing Morbius' powers (or, "being vampire-ish"), his weaknesses, and his origin. In his attempt to simply hide from the authorities or superheroes, Morbius has found himself earning the ire of a petty gang leader, which leads to the first issue cliffhanger.

The issue itself is relatively simple in terms of plot, and it reads quite quickly. The major strength of it is that Keatinge manages to find an interesting voice for Morbius in a similar manner that Chris Yost has for Kaine or Rick Remender has for Venom. This take on Morbius is being neither a menace or a vigilante, but as someone whose mistakes have made him a monster who usually wants to be left alone, but winds up tumbling down troubling paths. With Bruce Banner getting accustomed to being the Hulk in Mark Waid's INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK, perhaps there is a room for a misunderstood monster in Marvel's roster of comic titles, and Morbius could find himself filling it for the moment. The artwork by Elson and Fabela is a strength. Morbius is made slightly less ugly than he's usually depicted, even if he bares some vague resemblance to Michael Jackson. Thankfully, he's not as "pretty" as some vampires tend to be. The issue is full of action sequences which flow with a kinetic pace, and the colors set the tone with many dull urban colors.

While Marvel have seen some success with Spidey spin off's lately, this relaunch of Morbius is perhaps their riskiest as he's never been a particularly popular character nor have Marvel's vampire comics done well without being attached to the X-MEN like a barnacle. While this debut probably isn't as good as the start of SCARLET SPIDER or VENOM, it is better than many may think and does deserve a chance to flesh out its premise. Morbius has been a mess of a character and this series seeks to define who he is, or at least bring up that Morbius himself doesn't even know anymore. Whether this is a series which will still be around by 2014 is a question for the future. For the moment, it's off to a solid start.

IRON MAN #5: Fifth verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse. Kieron Gillen's script is fine, but it is bogged down by Greg Land's "artwork" to the point that even an interesting finale such as this seems a bit more mundane. Iron Man tracks down the fifth location of stolen Extremis tech, and it turns out it's the space station run by yet another one of his old business associates. While he does destroy it and come off as his usual d-bag self, Stark is inspired to take to the stars himself and explore space. That's an interesting development, even if his space armor looks a bit weird. Same as the artists on DAREDEVIL often make an already great book even better, Land being on this book make a potentially great book come off as merely good. The cover alone could have been made by any drone with Photoshop in an hour, yet Land was likely paid three figures for it. Regardless, I am still aboard this series because despite Land's art, Gillen has woven a more interesting tale with a better pace than Fraction did by the end. Still, this is a rare book where I almost plead for a fill in artist.

VENOM #29: Cullen Bunn continues his third arc (if one counts MINIMUM CARNAGE) on this title after replacing Rick Remender with a tale which shifts the title character to the city of Philadelphia as well as pits him against the Hulk's old sparring partners, the U-Foes. He is paired with artist Thony Silas with two inkers and three credited colorists in tow. The gist of the arc is that while Flash Thompson/Venom is attempting to get used to a life without his old friends but with a new lover in Valkyrie (from SECRET AVENGERS), he has gotten involved in some weird plots alongside reporter Katy Kiernan. This time, her investigation of several mysterious disappearances have led her to a plot by the U-Foes, who are testing alien technology on random people. Venom has sought to rescue her, but not even the assistance of Valkyrie are enough to even the odds against Hulk level villains without succumbing to the rage of the symbiote. While Bunn's earlier plots have delved a bit much into supernatural plots which ill suit VENOM, this is a more straightforward black ops superhero adventure which is more in keeping with the premise. It is a rebound for the new writer and a trend which will hopefully stick. The art is great and the issue is full of action; more like this, please.

IRON MAN #5: Fifth verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse. Kieron Gillen's script is fine, but it is bogged down by Greg Land's "artwork" to the point that even an interesting finale such as this seems a bit more mundane. Iron Man tracks down the fifth location of stolen Extremis tech, and it turns out it's the space station run by yet another one of his old business associates. While he does destroy it and come off as his usual d-bag self, Stark is inspired to take to the stars himself and explore space. That's an interesting development, even if his space armor looks a bit weird. Same as the artists on DAREDEVIL often make an already great book even better, Land being on this book make a potentially great book come off as merely good. The cover alone could have been made by any drone with Photoshop in an hour, yet Land was likely paid three figures for it. Regardless, I am still aboard this series because despite Land's art, Gillen has woven a more interesting tale with a better pace than Fraction did by the end. Still, this is a rare book where I almost plead for a fill in artist.

Now you know how Uncanny X-Men fans have felt every other arc for the past couple of years. Gillen did a pretty good job but Land's art always brought it down.

And while I don't read this book, didn't finish Avengers Assemble, and currently don't plan to read Guardians of the Galaxy... I'm glad there seems to be some continuity here. AA had the Guardians inviting Tony to travel the stars with them and leaves him thinking about it. Iron Man has him design the suit and get there for some reason or another. Guardians of the Galaxy, I assume, will grow from there (though how they plan to have Tony both in space and NOT in space will be interesting. My guess... they don't address it and will leave it to the fans to figure out how to read the comics in order (a year from now) to make it work.

Oh, and regarding the New Avengers name... yeah, it's stupid. The first thing that should tell a reader what the series is about is the title. When the title doesn't reflect the book then it shouldn't be used. Yeah, I get that the point is to attract fans of the previous New Avengers book, but we aren't stupid. I'm probably the biggest New Avengers supporter around here and I have no interest in buying the book.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's make a team book consisting of Mr. Sinister, Modok, the Red Skull, Sabretooth, and Doctor Octopus and call it 'Heroes for Hire.' It might not make sense but maybe it'll grab some old H4H fans! :awesome:

That conversation looks uncomfortable. I wonder if Namor is even a little remorseful. Doubt it though.

AvX: Consequences #4 had Namor essentially confide that he is remorseful over what happened. He pretty much tries to shrug it off the way Wolverine shrugged off killing Apocalypse in Uncanny X-Force and then admitted that he did not like being controlled by the Phoenix because it made him feel small.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's make a team book consisting of Mr. Sinister, Modok, the Red Skull, Sabretooth, and Doctor Octopus and call it 'Heroes for Hire.' It might not make sense but maybe it'll grab some old H4H fans! :awesome:

lol :up:

How are you not an editor at Marvel?

AvX: Consequences #4 had Namor essentially confide that he is remorseful over what happened. He pretty much tries to shrug it off the way Wolverine shrugged off killing Apocalypse in Uncanny X-Force and then admitted that he did not like being controlled by the Phoenix because it made him feel small.

Yeah, just went back and reread the scene :up:

Oh, and regarding the New Avengers name... yeah, it's stupid. The first thing that should tell a reader what the series is about is the title. When the title doesn't reflect the book then it shouldn't be used. Yeah, I get that the point is to attract fans of the previous New Avengers book, but we aren't stupid. I'm probably the biggest New Avengers supporter around here and I have no interest in buying the book.

On one hand, I agree with you that calling the current New Avengers book New Avengers is probably inappropriate since it has nothing to do with the New Avengers. I understand why it's called New Avengers, because the Illuminati is a spin-off concept of the New Avengers, but it still isn't the New Avengers.

On the other hand, I loved the first issue so my ability to care what the book is called is quite muted.

Now you know how Uncanny X-Men fans have felt every other arc for the past couple of years. Gillen did a pretty good job but Land's art always brought it down.

And while I don't read this book, didn't finish Avengers Assemble, and currently don't plan to read Guardians of the Galaxy... I'm glad there seems to be some continuity here. AA had the Guardians inviting Tony to travel the stars with them and leaves him thinking about it. Iron Man has him design the suit and get there for some reason or another. Guardians of the Galaxy, I assume, will grow from there (though how they plan to have Tony both in space and NOT in space will be interesting. My guess... they don't address it and will leave it to the fans to figure out how to read the comics in order (a year from now) to make it work.

Yeah, I know Land's art is a pain. As for comics with Tony in space and on earth at the same time, I imagine they'll handle it the same as they handle Wolverine or Spider-Man being in 10 books at once. They won't care.

You jest, but the the last two stabs at NEW WARRIORS were essentially that.

Sometimes Marvel does it to maintain a trademark, since they have to be used every few years. Hence why they released a book called YOUNG ALLIES come years ago that had little reason to be called that. It could have been called anything. Hence why SCARLET SPIDER got a relaunch, or MORBIUS. I imagine HELL-COW is due any day now.

Other times it is out of cowardice to actually call something a new name, so they leech off the old one. In fairness, I don't know what the heck the upcoming FEARLESS DEFENDERS has to do with the actual Defenders other than it has a former mainstay of the team on it (Valkyrie). Granted, many an Avengers or X-Men book has justified itself so long as at least one character from aforementioned franchise was there.

On one hand, I agree with you that calling the current New Avengers book New Avengers is probably inappropriate since it has nothing to do with the New Avengers. I understand why it's called New Avengers, because the Illuminati is a spin-off concept of the New Avengers, but it still isn't the New Avengers.

On the other hand, I loved the first issue so my ability to care what the book is called is quite muted.
Couldn't they call it New AvengersIlluminati as a qualifyer? I mean I'm with the guy above that I loved New Avengers but I ahve no interest in the relaunch at all sinc eit has few of the same characters in it. By tagging the Illuminati on the end, it would make more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"