Bought/Thought - 2-13-13

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
Batman & Robin 17 - I'm debating on dropping this book but the talks of Damian potentially dying in the next issue of Batman Incorporated and some of that pouring over into this issue has my interest. This issue was a stand alone tale digging into the dreams of Damian, Bruce, and Alfred (Alfred's was the best :)) It was a good issue and I don't regret having bought it. I love Damian as a character and I really hope he comes out of this Incorporated thing alright. He's a great character and the Bat-Books would be worse off without him.

Batman 17 - Death of the Family wraps up and I thought it was pretty good. The whole dinner tray thing was a cop out but I'd rather have it this way than lose a cast member in some shock value story. I thought I had it pegged as Harley Quin's head. Oh well.

The story itself was interesting but the "sexual tension" of Joker toward Batman was a bit awkward. All in all I thought the story was good, not as good as the Court of Owls plot but it was good. I'm excited for the Riddler arc coming up. I think Snyder has the chops to really make Riddler work. Here's hoping.

Uncanny X-Men 1 - This issue was alright but Bachalo's art took me out of it. His wierd designs were distracting and even the Magneto reveal in the end was odd and I question ifit's even him due to him now being bald and in white. My first thought was, "Oh, this must be Joseph's new look or something." It didn't even occur to me until after I read the text that this was actually Magneto. It looked so unlike Magneto that I just assumed someone was posing as him.

The story itself was decent. It's not anywhere near as good as All New X-Men but it's only the first issue and has room to improve. Frazier Irving is coming soon so maybe I'll like his art better. I think it'd fit decently well. I think another problem for me in this issue is that I don't particularly like any of the characters. Cyclops used to be my favorite X-Man but now I just shrug at him. I like Magneto alright. Magik does nothing for me and I can't stand Emma. The rest of the students are new so I've no attachment to them. I'm hoping there are some new additions to the cast soon that's more likable for me.

Wolverine and the X-Men 25 - This was a decent issue. While I loved the Origin mini, this rendition of Dog doesn't really do anything for me. The Savage Land is a location that I'm only mildly interested in so that does nothing for me and I'm not that interested in the cast of students that Aaron's focusing on.

Some of them are alright but they need some of the new X-Men students to balance them out. Kid Omega, Glob Herman, and Genesis are fun to have around. I typically like Broo but this rendition of him does nothing for me. And I just don't care about Oya, Shark Girl, Eye Boy, or Sprite. Where's Hellion, Mercury, Rockslide, and Anole? The students that people really liked but have since been ditched? In fact, I looked at the final two pages that showed the staff and student body and those four are possibly the four I have the least amount of interest in.

So yeah, the students took me out of it a bit. Some of these students have been around for 12 or 13 years now without little focus and now they're bringing in yet another generation of mutants and leaving them even further in the background. It's annoying.

Yeah, and the story was just decent. Not bad, but decent.

Best and Worst of the Month

Best: Batman & Robin 17 - This wasn't really a strong week but of the bunch this one was the best. The art and writing was good as always and it was nice getting into the sentimental dreams. The image of Alfred blowing Joker's head off is what won it the Best of the Week.

Worst: Wolverine and the X-Men 25 - The book was decent but it didn't wow me at all. I hate to say it but this title's fallen to the potential drop list for me. It started out really good and then just sorta got boring. I'm sticking with it for the moment because I do like some of these students but with my tight budget I don't know if the title will make it. We'll see I suppose.

It's funny how your Best title of the week is a book you're debating dropping... :dry:

:yay:

Uncanny X-men #1: It wasn't great, but it was good. I really enjoy the premise, because Cyclops leading a mutant revolution sounds awesome. I think the story is well crafted, and it definitely leaves me wanting to read more. However, there are a few things detracting from the issue. First, is how he writes Emma and Magik. Magik is actually really cool, but her dialog is really off. She sounds like a tween. Emma didn't do a whole lot, but I can tell he's writing her the same way he did in ANXM#3. Secondly, I'm extremely not convinced that Magneto is the traitor. A mutant revolution is what he's wanted for forever, and his reasoning for sabotoging the best chance they have is really weak. Third is the art.

But for all the downfalls, I am really intrigued. The idea of this revolution is fascinating. So far Cyclops is the only one taking an active role in protecting these new mutants. The Jean Grey school is so passive, but Cyclops is actually thinking about mutant rights and civil liberties. For the way mutants are treated, a revolution isn't entirely unthinkable. But at the same time it's dangerous, and it threatens both human and mutant lives. It's this tension that I find fascinating about Bendis' work with Cyclops and his gang.

Fantastic Four #4: This title continues along it's path of beautifully depicted, semi-interesting space stories. This one is all about Reed and Sue's relationship, and the strain caused by Reed's secret. I'm really enjoying the adventuring, but the IQ of this series seems to have dropped with Fraction. Val no longer sounds super smart, and things like Johnny's prank feels ripped out of the 60s. I'm still not clear on why Reed went back in time, but wow is it unethical.

Superbia: I wanted to get into this title because I like Grace Randolf on Stacktastic on youtube, and I wanted to check out her writing style. Superbia is so addicting that I read the mini series and the first four ongoing issues in one sitting. The title mainly focuses on characters that are traditionally sidelined, like the spouses and children of the heroes. Randolf does a fantastic job handling a big cast of characters, making each plot interesting and well developed, and giving unique twists to traditional superhero tropes. It's the right amount of super heroics, drama, sex, and character development. It's a little too much Desperate Housewives at times, and sometimes a little smutty haha, but I'm really impressed by this series.

I didn't get Cable and X-force this week. I think it's going to be my first Marvel Now drop, unless I hear amazing things about this issue.

Last edited:
I didn't get anything this week yet because I didn't feel like it. :oldrazz:

It's funny how your Best title of the week is a book you're debating dropping... :dry:

:yay:

I enjoy every title I buy... one of them is bound to have a better week than others. I cut because of finances and Marvel's high prices/double-shipping scheduals. Of the books I buy Batman & Robin is one that's typically on the lower end of my enjoyment scale but this was a decent issue in the midst of a medocre week, so it got lucky. I don't really want to drop the book because I love Damian... but I need to drop about 3 or 4 books a month so it's on the fence.

While I JUST got caught up and enjoyed it, I'm thinking the first cut will have to be Avengers. I wanted to give it a fair shot and enjoyed it but its double shipping schedual and $4 price point is hurting me when I plan ahead. I really shouldn't have bought issues 2-6 last week to be honest. That's why I try to stay away from impulse buys. That takes care of 2 of the required drops. New Avengers was good enough to stick around for a while though, as long as it can stand on its own without Avengers :up:

Mad Ones said:
I didn't get Cable and X-force this week. I think it's going to be my first Marvel Now drop, unless I hear amazing things about this issue.

Yeah, I decided to drop this book after issue 3. I skimmed the new one in case there was anything in there to change my mind and there wasn't. I like Colossus and miss him being in a main X-Men book, but he's not enough to make me spend $4 on a title I ony mediocrely tolerate.

Last edited:
While my skims showed a pretty interesting ending, I'm surprised there hasn't been an uproar about the death in Avengers Arena yet.

I convinced Avengers Arena is a Virtual reality simulation or something. I can't see these deaths sticking. Marvel would be kicking many of their fans in the junk if its for real.

There's only one teensy weensy problem with your argument......Marvel loves to kick their fans in the junk.

Best purchase for me this week was easily Star Wars #2. I'm absolutely loving this book. Feels so great being back in the cockpit of the Falcon again, flying around with Luke and Wedge, being on a Star Destroyer, etc. This series just bleeds original trilogy.

Wolverine & the X-Men was decent. I was a bit disappointed because I thought #24 was a HUGE step forward for a book that has been dragging ever since AvX. But #25 seemed to bring it right back to mediocrity. I miss Nick Bradshaw when he's not drawing, A LOT. Can't wait for him to draw another issue. Sucks that he was wasted on the carnival arc.

Batman #17 was pretty good, but I think I need to reread all five issues again. I seriously kept forgetting what was happening in between issues, so maybe that's a sign that it wasn't as memorable as it should've been. Snyder kept building it up this amazing Joker story, and it just wasn't. I need to stop reading his Twitter feed.

Uncanny X-Men #1 started out really great, but I was kind of scratching my head a little by issue's end. I'm hoping it picks up.

Still need to read Comedian #5.

We go to support groups to hug and cry just like in Fight Club. :awesome:

While my skims showed a pretty interesting ending, I'm surprised there hasn't been an uproar about the death in Avengers Arena yet.

I skimmed it in the store, but I didn't think anyone died in that issue. Reptil got severely burned but his "health bar" still had two bars left, and I took it that meant he was still alive. Still the whole book sucks because it's a cheap ploy to create "controversy". Didn't care for the last page development with Chase either. He didn't need it.

Ah, I didn't notice the health bars. I thought Reptil was a goner.

And while I don't care for the events of the book, I'm intrigued by the idea of Chase becoming Darkhawk. My thinking there is that he'll find Chris in the other world and they'll work together to find a way to stop Arcade, or to get help. Just a guess.

The book is out of continuity as far as I'm concerned...never happened.

Well, this is a bit awkward. Between a cold, the sudden snow, and work schedule I haven't posted in the B/T for about two weeks. So, cramming in two weeks of reviews now. And no, they're not all just pastes from Examiner. Spoilers ahoy.

BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 2/6 & 2/13/13!

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #7: Criminally underrated writer Fred Van Lente continues to weave an action packed and hilarious revision of the classic Valiant franchise with this issue, which appears to wisely extend the regular cast beyond the two titular leads. This issue sees Archer and Armstrong meet up with the latter's equally immortal brother Gilad, who seeks their death due to the accidental murder of a representative of the earth itself, "the Geomancer". Fortunately for them, former corporate shill Kay McHenry has become the newest "Geomancer", which forces Gilad to call off his agenda to unite for a common threat. Said threat is tycoon Mr. Zorn who is part of a secret cabal seeking to undo all of reality since 212 B.C. and only now is reaching fruition. It is never bank robbers or mobsters with this book; every arc seems to be against the apocalypse! The skill with which Van Lente embellishes and exaggerates history and modern "mythology" and religion as well as he did with the lore of the Marvel Universe is impressive and appears seamless. The artwork by Emanuela Lupacchino continues to impress and flow well alongside the previous arc drawn by Clayton Henry. This series doesn't seem to be making as many critical website rounds as "Incredible Hercules" did, which is a shame as it is an impressive work regardless of what franchise it is. Few scribes manage to weave adventure, drama, and comedy as well as Van Lente does, and this series is merely another example of this skill. Seekers of fun adventure comics skip it at their detriment.

SUPER-DINOSAUR #17: Robert Kirkman and Jason Howard continue on their creator owned vehicle which is vaguely similar to an 80's Saturday morning cartoon, only usually written smarter. This issue sees Kirkman perhaps pander a bit too much to the juvenile audience by introducing characters who literally eat poop and use it as a joke several times. While there is always a place for juvenile humor - I admit a weakness for fart gags sometimes - it did take me out of the story a bit here. SD and Derek manage to clear up the situation with the warring races of inner-moon before coming home for a quest to save Derek's mom. The art is solid as always and this remains a bit more coherent and stable series than INVINCIBLE is right now. I still like it more than HAUNT, but not as much as ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN, and I still wonder how much longer it will last given how low sales are.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #18: Believe it or not, this is actually the first issue of IDW's regular ongoing TMNT series which has shipped this year. This is because that IDW smartly scheduled two issues of a spin off mini series, "The Secret History of the Foot Clan" to ship in January and fill that gap. Fortunately, it is the start of a new month and the lead in time for new artist Ben Bates was well spent. Writers Kevin Eastman and Tom Waltz alongside colorist Ronda Pattison continue to advance their all encompassing revamp of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise with this latest arc. It is a story which spans across dimensions and space and mingles material from both the original 1987 cartoon series with the mid-80's Mirage Studios comics which preceded it. In specifics, it merges "TMNT #4-5" circa 1985 with "Hot Rodding Teenagers from Dimension X", circa 1987. The result is an exciting and often brilliant method of bringing fans of various Turtles material together into a cohesive whole while still offering a new spin on it.

Last issue, while trying to back up April as she sought answers about their enemies from Chet Allen, one of the resident professors at the company run by Baxtor Stockman. What they didn't know was that Chet is actually the Fugitoid, a Neutrino scientist from Dimension X who fled to earth to escape tyranny and eventually avenge his murdered family to it. When a group of Neutrino rebel soldiers (updated versions of the former "hot rodding teenagers") beam to Earth to snatch Chet, the Turtles wind up being taken accidentally to Dimension X and learning far more about the intergalactic figure who has been their enemy all along, General Krang. In the original cartoon, Krang was a unique villain loosely based on the Utrom aliens of the original comic; this series makes him an outright Utrom, but also makes the Utroms a race of conquering brains instead of pacifists. Instead of finding themselves in the midst of a fight between the Triceritons and the Federation like in the original comics from 1985, the Turtles find themselves in the middle of a fire fight between the Neutrino resistance and Krang's genetically modified stone soldiers. While some of the Turtles are confused, others (namely Mikey) leap into the fray with glee to help save a princess. Once the lasers stop firing, however, the Turtles learn far more about the sources of their origins than they ever imagined. Meanwhile on earth, Splinter, Casey, and April are left to plan a course of action without the Turtles to aid them, but strive to do so.

Bates is a far different artist in terms of style than the previous artist, Andy Kuhn, and his style may be more appealing for those who prefer a "house style" with smoother lines. His style actually gels well with the style of the original artist for the series, Dan Duncan. As always, the writers manage to capture the voices of all four Turtles without the sense that one is hogging the others. They also continue to weave a rich tapestry around the over 25 year saga of the Turtles across various mediums and forge a brand new saga to add to such a legacy. While this may not be the Utrom villain Ch'rell from the 2003 era cartoon, this is also not the bumbling comedian Krang from the original cartoon. It also paints Krang as a rival of the Shredder and the Foot, which for the time being is smart and adds suspense - as our heroes are in the middle of their struggle. While it may have been a month gap between issues, IDW's publishing practices mitigated the delay and this week's offering gets things back on track. Each arc seems to build on the last and improve the narrative and characters as it goes, which is the ultimate goal of serialized fiction. The only reason this series doesn't appear on many critics "best of" lists is due more to bias of 80's nostalgia properties than on actual content. Judged on content, and this run is among the greats.

FEARLESS DEFENDERS #1: A mere two months after the previous comic book with "Defenders" in the end as written by top tier writer Matt Fraction was mercifully canceled due to poor sales, up comes a new series written by current rising star, Cullen Bunn. The only connection this series has to previous "Defenders" comics is the involvement of Valkyrie, one of the long term B-list members of that "non-team". The inkling for this is to craft a team of female heroes to serve as Valkyrie's new "shield maidens", and apparently someone in editorial decided that titling it after the "Defenders" and not "Valkyrie" would sell better. With Will Sliney on art and Veronica Gandini on colors, this issue is an entertaining introduction to a new team, fulfilling the obligation by the cover of teaming Valkyrie with Misty Knight (one half of the "daughters of the dragon"). Misty is actually coming off quite a few long term alliances lately; broken up with Iron Fist again as well as no longer working alongside fellow "daughter" Colleen Wing since the "Shadowland" event of 2010. Her investigation into an artifact smuggling operation for her client (Dr. Annabelle Riggs, a supporting character for the series) very quickly develops into an affair involving dead Norse warriors which brings Valkyrie into the fray. The dialogue between the characters is a lot better than the plot, which is standard comic book fare to get people to team up. The art by Sliney is fine, although there may be one too many broke-back poses by the female heroines for some readers to bare. This will be Marvel's second "all female" team books alongside Brian Woods' reboot of "X-Men", but as always with any team book, it is the characters which make it work, regardless of gender. While the story itself is quite simple, the dialogue is sassy and entertaining enough to hook a reader for at least the opening arc.

IRON MAN #6: Kieron Gillen and Greg "The Mad Tracer" Land start on their second arc on this series, "The Godkiller". Despite being 20 pages, the story seems to go by very quickly. Iron Man has flown into space with some new armor for the sake of exploration, and has quickly made friends with the Voldi, who have been retconned as a civilization which pre-dated and influenced the Kree and the Shi'Ar. Mistaken for a Spaceknight, Tony Stark is about to score some hot alien sex until his current date freaks out at his mustache and he's arrested by space cops for essentially killing the Phoenix in AVX. It is an interesting progression, although some of the execution here seems a bit simple and as always Land's art is a downside. Part of this seems obligatory as Iron Man has been added to the cast of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY as their "Wolverine" figure. There is a good idea in here, even if the Voldi are a bit generic, and hopefully the next issue improves here. So far this series remains in the solidly "alright" category for me.

SCARLET SPIDER #14: Writer Chris Yost and regular artist Khoi Pham (alongside colorist Antonio Fabela and a whopping five inkers) continue their story for the second year of this spin off title featuring a redeemed Kaine and a family of villains from the Conway/Buscema run of Spectacular Spider-Man in the late 1980's. Mysterious psychic youth Aracely, who is somehow connected to the Aztec gods, is on the run from a brother and sister of the Lobo family, who can transform into werewolves. Kaine/Scarlet Spider has attempted to protect her, but it seemed like he was torn asunder in the previous issue. As Aracely flees for her life, Kaine goes through a metaphysical transformation which seems to borrow from the continuity of the "Amazing Spider-Man" story "Grim Hunt" from 2010. Kaine's struggle between trying to be a man or a killer is compared to that of a spider, and ultimately he chooses what seems natural to him. To a point this issue is more of an issue of transition than a story itself, but it does make for an interesting metaphysical struggle for Kaine. It is a sign of the times that a ASM spin off like this now has a higher issue count than the core Spider-Man series right now, but that doesn't change the fact that this has been a surprisingly solid spin off series. Hopefully the second year of this series remains as great as the first.

SECRET AVENGERS #37: Another awkward issue of a Marvel Comic where the cover boasts of a "final issue" while the back pages advertise the latest #1 issue of the same series which hits the stands next week. Doesn't anyone in the editorial office realize this strategy is so absurd it borders on unintentional self parody? Regardless, this is the final issue as written by Rick Remender, who first hopped aboard the series with issue #21.1 last year. Having written more issues of this title than any previous writer - even Ed Brubaker who launched the series - this marks quite a finale to end on. Flanked by artist Matteo Scalera and colorist Matthew Wilson, the long term storyline with the Descendants reaches an exciting but morally complicated climax. The Descendants are a race of techno-organic life forms created by the father of Captain Britain to become the next stage of mankind; and to this end they have interbred with humans for years, finally siring the start of a new generation. Their "Father" saw this as the time to begin the mass "evolution" of all humanity into these beings - starting with New York City, as villains do. To this end he saw fit to kill Ant-Man and replace him with an LMD, and transform Hank Pym into a cyborg, among others. This issue marks the team's last stand to try to save humanity from a forced evolution, although the moral implications of their solution - killing all of the Descendants with a bomb before the transformation is complete - is hazy and Remender is a wise writer to not shy away from it. Forced or not, the "evolution" brings with it immortality and physical prosperity; something which Capt. Britain wisely argues would strip humanity of the struggle which makes it unique. Hawkeye struggles the most with the task at hand, but ultimately it is the android Human Torch who makes the final decision. While it is a victory, it is hardly a victory which came easily or seems to be all pomp and circumstance afterward - it comes with a hollowness and a sense of conflict to the outcome. Earlier issues which saw the Descendants making anti-Avengers signs which held them responsible for the near extinction of mutants rise to the memory with the pace of this issue. Remender could have chosen to make his finale an emotionless over the top affair, but instead he was genuine with the moral dilemma he presented his heroes; thus, this finale is better for it. Remender has moved onto "Uncanny Avengers", and one hopes that will be as thrilling as this run was.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #3: With sales figures for January 2013 available from Diamond, the relaunch of "Amazing Spider-Man" as "Superior Spider-Man" for this story line topped the month with copies of the first two issues selling well into six figure margins. Regardless of how one feels about the move and especially the promotional scheme for it, it has worked in the manner that Marvel Comics cares most about - sales. In terms of the story, it is perhaps one of the most ambitious "mind swap" stories ever done in a mainstream superhero comic in years, if not decades, courtesy of solo writer Dan Slott and starting artist Ryan Stegman (alongside Edgar Delgado's colors).

Dr. Octopus is still in mental possession of Spider-Man's body, while Peter Parker's "soul" or "will" or whatnot continues to exist in some state alongside him, unable to influence any but the most severe of actions. The previous issue saw the Vulture emerge as the latest villain of the month and "Spidey-Ock" closing the door on chasing Mary Jane romantically, much to Peter's relief. This issue sees the "superior" Spidey manage to get along with J. Jonah Jameson as well as explores Ock's memories and relationship with the Vulture - who is one of his former "Sinister Six" teammates. The issue also focuses on another lady in Peter's life, Carlie Cooper - who is apparently the only person in his cast who suspects something is up. Peter also learns that he can access Ock's memories the same way that Ock can access his, which makes for some interesting perspective. By the end of the issue, it seems obvious that this status quo may not last much longer; the question is, will it end before it stretches too thin, and how wrecked will Peter's life become afterward?

Stegman's artwork is top notch as always, excelling at the action as usual. Slott's angle for the Vulture is to have him become a figure akin to Fagin from "Oliver Twist" as someone who exploits the young for his crimes. This time Adrian Toomes crosses a line even Doc Ock won't stand, even if it does cause him to "break character" before Carlie. As for the aforementioned CSI, Slott's task is not an easy one with her. He has the task of depicting Carlie as being smart enough to figure out before anyone else that something isn't right about Spider-Man; yet Spider-Man himself essentially told this to her in ASM #700, which mitigates this. Peter Parker himself has parodied how nobody in his cast has noticed that his "body" is talking like a Republic Serial villain. Slott also has to walk the odd tightrope of having to cement for editorial purposes why Peter and MJ no longer "work" as a stable relationship while promoting Carlie as a newer reoccurring romantic interest. To a degree this entire story is akin to walking a tight rope; if it stretches too long it becomes absurd, but if not long enough the marketing stunt seems more obvious than it already is.

Due to sheer execution of an interesting, often funny and at the very least imaginative new twist on an old story trope, Dan Slott has managed to turn what could have been a nightmare into an very unique Spider-Man story. One hopes he continues to walk that tightrope as skillfully as a spider in terms of handling this arc, because thus far it is always a riveting read, warts and all.

VENOM #31: Cullen Bunn teams with former THUNDERBOLTS secondary artist Declan Shalvey for the first issue of his "Venom in Philly" era. It is the sort of quiet introspective issues that Rick Remender used to excel at. Bunn wisely seeks to construct a supporting cast around Flash Thompson here, even if they are a bit stereotypical as most characters are in infancy. He also seeks to continue his vigilante crusade, although he takes more measures to conceal Venom's involvement. Unfortunately, Flash is losing himself to the literal "demon" within him, and Eddie Brock is returning as the new Toxin to haunt him. It's the start of a set building exercise, but so far it is successful. Bunn's rebounded on this title these last few issues, and it is good to see.

Well, this is a bit awkward. Between a cold, the sudden snow, and work schedule I haven't posted in the B/T for about two weeks. So, cramming in two weeks of reviews now. And no, they're not all just pastes from Examiner. Spoilers ahoy.

I was curious where you'd gone. Don't let it happen again!
SECRET AVENGERS #37: Another awkward issue of a Marvel Comic where the cover boasts of a "final issue" while the back pages advertise the latest #1 issue of the same series which hits the stands next week. Doesn't anyone in the editorial office realize this strategy is so absurd it borders on unintentional self parody? Regardless, this is the final issue as written by Rick Remender, who first hopped aboard the series with issue #21.1 last year. Having written more issues of this title than any previous writer - even Ed Brubaker who launched the series - this marks quite a finale to end on. Flanked by artist Matteo Scalera and colorist Matthew Wilson, the long term storyline with the Descendants reaches an exciting but morally complicated climax. The Descendants are a race of techno-organic life forms created by the father of Captain Britain to become the next stage of mankind; and to this end they have interbred with humans for years, finally siring the start of a new generation. Their "Father" saw this as the time to begin the mass "evolution" of all humanity into these beings - starting with New York City, as villains do. To this end he saw fit to kill Ant-Man and replace him with an LMD, and transform Hank Pym into a cyborg, among others. This issue marks the team's last stand to try to save humanity from a forced evolution, although the moral implications of their solution - killing all of the Descendants with a bomb before the transformation is complete - is hazy and Remender is a wise writer to not shy away from it. Forced or not, the "evolution" brings with it immortality and physical prosperity; something which Capt. Britain wisely argues would strip humanity of the struggle which makes it unique. Hawkeye struggles the most with the task at hand, but ultimately it is the android Human Torch who makes the final decision. While it is a victory, it is hardly a victory which came easily or seems to be all pomp and circumstance afterward - it comes with a hollowness and a sense of conflict to the outcome. Earlier issues which saw the Descendants making anti-Avengers signs which held them responsible for the near extinction of mutants rise to the memory with the pace of this issue. Remender could have chosen to make his finale an emotionless over the top affair, but instead he was genuine with the moral dilemma he presented his heroes; thus, this finale is better for it. Remender has moved onto "Uncanny Avengers", and one hopes that will be as thrilling as this run was.

Man, I was hopig for some sort of return for O'Grady. So he's dead then?

The more I read about this arc the more I wish it was played out in Uncanny X-Force as originally intended. Knowing the seeds planted there in the second arc and the .1 issue, I'm wondering how it was going to tie together. And in seeing the Captain Britian arc of Uncanny X-Force and knowing its outcome, it makes me wonder how that would have effected his role in this plot. I'm guessing Fantomex's fate in Uncanny X-Force's final issue was originally planned for taking place in this arc with the LMD's and cloning and all that, and I think Remender mentioned that the Descendants arc was going to be a big Fantomex story. That would have been interesting to see.

I was curious where you'd gone. Don't let it happen again!

Things cleared up by around Monday or Tuesday but by then I figured to just post all my reviews in one week.

Man, I was hopig for some sort of return for O'Grady. So he's dead then?

The more I read about this arc the more I wish it was played out in Uncanny X-Force as originally intended. Knowing the seeds planted there in the second arc and the .1 issue, I'm wondering how it was going to tie together. And in seeing the Captain Britian arc of Uncanny X-Force and knowing its outcome, it makes me wonder how that would have effected his role in this plot. I'm guessing Fantomex's fate in Uncanny X-Force's final issue was originally planned for taking place in this arc with the LMD's and cloning and all that, and I think Remender mentioned that the Descendants arc was going to be a big Fantomex story. That would have been interesting to see.

They left it a little ambiguous about O'Grady. He was killed and made into an LMD by Father and dubbed himself Black Ant, which always reminds me of Black Adder for some reason. He was fighting Venom and was impaled by Valkyrie, but escaped. Father claimed there was one of his Descendents left which could have either been the kid or Black Ant.

Wasn't reading X-Force but I imagine he synched stuff together.

I figured the real O'Grady was dead and the Blank Ant is out there somewhere waiting to F with the Avengers again. The question mark seems to be with Pym. I'm sure he's fine and anything done to him was probably been reversed by the MacGuffin necro-orb thingamawhoozit.

Oddly enough (and correct me if I'm wrong) but he hasn't been seen since NOW began. Maybe Remender had plans to address it in Uncanny Avengers until John Cassaday set that title back to the stone age....?

Correct me if I'm wrong, the real O'grady was also essentially killed "off panel" and we never saw the coup de grace on his real live body(although clearly he was getting beat up. It's another angle if someone wants to do something with the character.

I figured the real O'Grady was dead and the Blank Ant is out there somewhere waiting to F with the Avengers again. The question mark seems to be with Pym. I'm sure he's fine and anything done to him was probably been reversed by the MacGuffin necro-orb thingamawhoozit.

Oddly enough (and correct me if I'm wrong) but he hasn't been seen since NOW began. Maybe Remender had plans to address it in Uncanny Avengers until John Cassaday set that title back to the stone age....?

It was odd to see all that done to Hank Pym, especially since he was coming off some good development in AVENGERS ACADEMY. On the other hand, Scott Lang may likely be the Ant-Man of the next film, hence why he's suddenly back.

But, this is the same Marvel that sometimes can't keep straight who is dead and alive, so he may pop up again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the real O'grady was also essentially killed "off panel" and we never saw the coup de grace on his real live body(although clearly he was getting beat up. It's another angle if someone wants to do something with the character.

It was assumed O'Grady was killed and either replaced with an LMD or transformed into a Descendent himself. But, the fate of Black Ant is still up in the air.

Wait, are people actually hoping O'Grady's not dead? Geez, if ever there were a character who deserved the description "utter waste of space"... Good riddance, I say. He works better as a villain if we have to have him at all, so I'm content with Black Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"