Bought/Thought fer Wednesday, Feb 6, 200gr8

The Twelve #2 - I love the heavy character focus going on here.No imminent threat or super villain in sight,but a nice natural flow to the story with many of these characters reacting to the time lost in different and interesting ways.

I'm all for this current resurgence of golden age heroes.So much untapped potential with many of these characters not having "set in stone" histories like many of the big 2's characters.

JSA #12 - I love this book,classic superhero team book in every way.Amazing Man,Captain Triumph and Mr.America make for some damn fine new recruits.My DC list is at the smallest it's been,but books like this,Green Lantern and Brave and the Bold always remind me that there are still some people at DC concerned with telling quality stories and not tying everything together to fix a 20 year old mess.

I liked the bit of racism in The Twelve. We had a whole Civil Rights Movement and 50 years of slow acceptance to get to the level of racial tolerance we have in the US today; that subject should certainly loom large over the Golden Agers, and I'm glad JMS isn't shying away from it.

I liked the bit of racism in The Twelve. We had a whole Civil Rights Movement and 50 years of slow acceptance to get to the level of racial tolerance we have in the US today; that subject should certainly loom large over the Golden Agers, and I'm glad JMS isn't shying away from it.

Yeah, I liked that he isn't shying away from that bit, too. So far he is handling the feelings of transition and confusing from the 60 year revival very well. In some ways it will remind people of recent Capt. America stuff, but these are new characters with various ideals, so it is different.

Transformers: Devastation #5
by Simon Furman and E.J. Su, IDW Publishing

With this issue, Furman proves that he can still write a good Transformers comic. While his Beast Wars stuff has been absolutely lackluster and suffered from Furman trying to pull from too many directions into one center that is not big enough to possibly hold it all, much akin to this sentence, Furman's reimagined Generation 1 continues to vroom along strongly. Possibly, his only weak point when it comes to this G1 stuff is that he has a penchant for decompression. In the G1 comics it's not so awful, since they're all six-issue minis. But the Beast Wars stuff comes in four-issue mini installments, and with as much going on as there is, there tends to be not a whole lot resolved by the last part, and/or it doesn't make sense. With G1, he doesn't have quite as much going on, though there's still a lot, but he does have the extra two issues to work with, which makes it all work out.

Even so, because of the decompression, sometimes the pacing can feel a little off. Going into the last chapter of Devastation with next month, it'll be the third issue that the two human characters are dead, with Ratchet trying to jolt them back to life. Across the issues, only about five minutes has elapsed, but it's a matter of - why the need to draw it out three issues? But then, I guess in a 22-page issue, certain things need to be there, and thus one must cut from the least important parts. Still, just save them off-screen and show a couple panels with them recuperating. Unless Furman actually intends for them to stay dead, but I somehow doubt that.

What Furman does have going for him is that he's the sole writer of Transformers books for IDW, aside from, I think, the mini Megatron: Origin. He writes all of G1 and all of the character-centric one-shots. That makes him the mastermind of everything, and it means he can pull stuff in as he deems fit, and as he wants it. As he's made Earth into more and more of a central area, he's been able to pull in bits and pieces from the one-shots, such as Soundwave and his cassette-bots, and now the Dinobots as well.

The last chapter of Devastation looks to be absurdly good, and I have no idea how it'll end. The next phase of the war should be good, too, and I have no idea where it's going to go. The Decepticons' living weapon, Six-shot, has betrayed them. Starscream, awoken from the tube Megatron imprisoned him in, has faced off against Six-shot and seemingly beaten him. Megatron orders the rest of the Decepticons to attack the enemies assaulting their base. Prime orders Hot Rod and Wheeljack called back to their ship orbiting the Earth in order to abandon Earth and head elsewhere, apparently fine with leaving Ironhide and Sunstreaker behind. One of the humans has made himself set to join with a Sunstreaker body as a Headmaster, and he probably won't be making it off Earth with the rest of the Autobots, assuming they actually do abandon Earth.

Regardless, Furman's G1 comics continue to run strong. There've been little lulls here and there, but have otherwise been solid.

Yeah, I liked that he isn't shying away from that bit, too. So far he is handling the feelings of transition and confusing from the 60 year revival very well. In some ways it will remind people of recent Capt. America stuff, but these are new characters with various ideals, so it is different.

I'd like to see JMS do that Avengers/Invaders crossover a lot more than Alex "I don't know subtle" Ross.

Yeah, that'd be nice. Alas...

Wait, who's writing the crossover? Presumably Ross is just doing covers because he's busy making covers for other boring Golden Agers at the same time.

Yeah, that'd be nice. Alas...

Wait, who's writing the crossover? Presumably Ross is just doing covers because he's busy making covers for other boring Golden Agers at the same time.

I'm pretty sure it's his partner Jim "I'm Alex Ross' *****" Krueger.

I'd like to see JMS do that Avengers/Invaders crossover a lot more than Alex "I don't know subtle" Ross.
I wouldn't. Under his subtle pen, the entire thing would be an exercise in making Iron Man a fascist jerk.

that's how he writes him in relation to Spider-Man and Thor, two guys that have been seriously @icked around by Stark. Writing an avengers book I think he'd give him more character.

When he was writing Fantastic Four, he wasn't any kinder to Reed Richards, who was his responsibility.

JMS would still do it; he'd have the Invaders and the New Avengers ally against the eeevil Mighty Avengers, led by the moustache-twirling Iron Fascist.

When he was writing Fantastic Four, he wasn't any kinder to Reed Richards, who was his responsibility.

JMS would still do it; he'd have the Invaders and the New Avengers ally against the eeevil Mighty Avengers, led by the moustache-twirling Iron Fascist.

That doesn't sound bad to me at all.:huh:

That doesn't sound bad to me at all.:huh:
If you concede that, you concede the entire argument, because my whole point was that JMS likes to paint Iron Man as a fascist villain at every opportunity.

If you concede that, you concede the entire argument, because my whole point was that JMS likes to paint Iron Man as a fascist villain at every opportunity.

And he's the only one doing so right?:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Well, when you take into consideration that the books he's written where IM shows up were from the perspective of characters he's wronged, it fits. he's a D-bag in ASM because he is partially responsible for the total s**t storm Spidey's life has become. He's a total D-Bag in Thor because he cloned a friend, and said clone immediately went out and killed the biggest black guy it could find. Now if he say, took over writing Mighty Avengers or Iron Man and wrote IM as a total D-Bag, then you'd have point. But if he shows up in say, Thor, we don't get his perspective. We don't get the regret and guilt and conflict he's got to deal with in Iron Man. We get the hostile force that he represents when he shows up. Which is really what we should be getting from him in such a situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"