The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Box office for Amazing Spider-Man 2

Box office matters little to a film like the Shawshank Redemption, but you better hope that a franchise film series like Spider-man makes enough dough or you'll soon be seeing a reboot, a reimagining or Spider-man lingering in development limbo.

I understand that the Spider-Man movies need to make a certain amount of money to keep the franchise going, but they don't need to earn a billion dollars as argued by SoNicRaDiATioN in order to be successful.

Also, Spider-Man wouldn't linger in development lingo due to the circumstances of the film rights. If Sony didn't make a movie every 5 years, then the film rights revert back to marvel/disney. If one of Sony's SM films bombed or if they saw that the character was no longer profitable, then they would most likely sell the film rights back at that point, or let them expire. So I think no matter what, Spider-Man will be fine. We are guaranteed a movie at least every 5 years as long as Spider-Man is at Sony. If not, then Marvel would have the film rights to Spider-Man and they would use him in their movies. Plain and simple. Maybe we would have to wait a while before they use him, but at least we'd know that Spider-Man would be returning at some point.

Last edited:
$30 million less WW not adjusted for inflation and not adjusted for 3D and not adjusted for new overseas markets. ASM did okay...it made a profit. It didn't do that great considering it had a $225 million budget with 3D surcharges. It did not do very good domestic at all. It did very mediocre domestic. Overseas saved it's ass. SM2 kicked ass domestic so I have no idea what you are talking about.

260 m is a huge amount for a reboot. It's hardly average in any way.

Outside of the first Spider-man movie, none of them were incredibly profitable at the box office and those profits decreased a great deal with every Raimi sequel (SM2 made under 800 m and SM3 had huge budget). ASM was the first Spider-man movie not to drop much in box office profit compared to the last movie. Both SM2 and SM3 dropped 40-50%. ASM hardly dropped at all in box office profit compared to SM3 and ASM2 should be the first Spider-man movie to reverse the trend.

I don't know why your pointing ASM made a larger percentage of it's worldwide gross from the overseas market. It doesn't matter.

Not to mention it was a quick reboot that nobody wanted.

Adjusted for inflation Sm2 has about 70m more budget than TASM and Sm3 nearly 100m more

Ratio of Earnings:Expenditure is the same as Raimi two sequels(SM2 and SM3),

One can talk about 3D and all as much as they want but in the end the studios see just two things,1.How much did we spend 2.How much did we earn

Adjusted for inflation Sm2 has about 70m more budget than TASM and Sm3 nearly 100m more

Ratio of Earnings:Expenditure is the same as Raimi two sequels(SM2 and SM3),so basically did it well
Yup. :up:

I'm sure Raimi fanboys went to vote TASM down too.

They probably created multiple accounts just to rate it down as well.

Don't take "nobody" literally. A large number of people were completely against the reboot after Spider-Man 4 was cancelled.

Once again, I did not mean "nobody" literally.

I think people wanted SM4 to redeem the Raimi franchise. The first two movies are fantastic, and the third movie was such a critical failure. Its sad that the franchise ended on such a bad note.

Ratio of Earnings:Expenditure is the same as Raimi two sequels(SM2 and SM3),

One can talk about 3D and all as much as they want but in the end the studios see just two things,1.How much did we spend 2.How much did we earn

And adjusted for inflation SM2 made about $200 million more WW and $200 million more domestic than ASM...on a budget less $25 million, without 3D, and without expanded overseas markets.

The ratio of earnings to expenditure is not the same...because you forgot to adjust for inflation the box office totals of SM2 and SM3.

You don't have to adjust for inflation to see the ratio between the two's earnings to expenditures. At the end of the day, Spider-Man 2 made $175 million domestic more than it's budget and ASM $32 million more than it's budget. You can't fairly compare WW markets because each year more theaters open and the market gets bigger. If you choose to ignore the difference between the two (3D surchage and expanded overseas markets) then here are the adjusted for inflation numbers:

SM1
budget - $177 million
domestic - $515 million
overseas - $534 million
earnings minus expenditures - $872 million

SM2
budget - $243 million
domestic - $454 million
overseas - $499 million
earnings minus expenditures - $710 million

SM3
budget - $286 million
domestic - $373 million
overseas - $615 million
earnings minus expenditures - $702 million

ASM
budget - $230 million
domestic - $262 million
overseas - $490 million
earnings minus expenditures - $522 million

Here are the funny things...adjusted for inflation...ASM still was the weakest overseas even with much more market share and 3D. It was also the weakest in terms of earnings to expenditure by about $180 million to SM2 and SM3. So...I have no idea what you are talking about.

There was an article posted in here by a credible analyst that said ASM had to make I think it was $700 million WW to break even. It barely did that. Sony didn't have toys and action figures to rely on since they sold those rights because their company was in the toilet earlier this year. I wouldn't call that a giant success or a box office behemoth or anything. ASM made a profit so it did ok. It didn't do any where near the levels of SM1-3 and I highly doubt ASM2 beats SM1-3 adjusted for inflation. It definitely won't beat SM1-3's domestic numbers NOT adjusted for inflation. I think that reflects pretty poorly on the new franchise.

Last edited:
Those earnings are way off.

The studio only gets roughly half the worldwide gross. Then you have subtract the production AND marketing cost (both adjusted for inflation)

The studio also profits from Blu-Ray/DVD/ultraviolet sales as well.

Sony sold all of their marketing rights back to Disney.

Only the fat nerds who cling onto those films like bread and butter wanted SM4, disgregdaing the fact that SM3 was a plain horrible film, they still wanted 4...

Thank God those days are over, and the small amount whi still fo complain about Rebooting arent heard.
Tasm still gets hate online from fanboys, but the general public seems to be warming up to him as time goes by.

2014, Spidey will be king.

Only the fat nerds who cling onto those films like bread and butter wanted SM4, disgregdaing the fact that SM3 was a plain horrible film, they still wanted 4...

Thank God those days are over, and the small amount whi still fo complain about Rebooting arent heard.
Tasm still gets hate online from fanboys, but the general public seems to be warming up to him as time goes by.

2014, Spidey will be king.

Wow, that's insulting. I still hear some complaints here and there, but yes, the general public seems very happy with the reboot.

50/50. An origin that I feel like shouldn't have been done again, but a reboot nonetheless needed to happen.
I think the origin needed to be told in order to establish the new grounds for this universe. I look at The Incredible Hulk, and as I've said many times before, it felt like the sequel to a movie that was never made.

But in TIH's case, imo, they went the smarter route with only touching upon the reboot since the hero had an origin film already that wasn't that far behind them. In TAS-M's case, I would've been fine for them to only touch upon the origin as well rather than working on an entire hour on it. Imo, I LOVE the first hour, and dislike everything afterwards but still, it's a realistic point when saying they could have done without the origin again and TAS-M's biggest complaint wouldn't have been made and only ones about the villain and what have you. But taking out the origin could make for more time for the villain and his development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"