Box Office Mojo is ruined!

Reaction score
I already posted this in the box office thread, but a while ago, I started clicking things in the site and noticed that they have removed a lot of stuff. who ever runs it just ruined the site. The layout looks pretty bad as well. I feel like it deserves its own thread because I visit that site every day since like 2004! I'm just so mad and disappointed. You can't check a box office track record of a studio anymore. I think you will need to pay for IMDb pro to check the stats. And Ive read somewhere that the other features aren't accessible anymore. Terrible!

It is terrible.

A lot of websites around 2010 actually were way better and more informatively designed than the non-intuitive flashy interfaces used now. I see Box Office Mojo essentially is falling in step with this trend unfortunately.

You can't even access the yearly box office world wide gross pages anymore. Then the franchises pages.... you need to sign up for IMDb pro!!! Its almost 2020 and who really would pay to see those stats. The change just killed the site for me.

Wow does the site suck now. Anybody know of one that has the international information grouped by year etc. Or franchise stuff?

Also can't believe the All Time pages doesn't reflect the End Game achievement.

Also it seems like its and Amazon Company now. Think they'll offer it free with Prime at some point?

Seriously though any other sources now that they suck?

Last edited:
I think 1998 Amazon bought IMDB that wasn't swallowed up but still operated separately to an extent despite being owned by Amazon. 2008 I think saw IMDB buy BoxOfficeMojo.

Why there's not another site around with similar stats is a good question. What sources did people look at pre-internet?

That's a shame. It's going to make BO discussions on the Hype a lot more difficult.

I forgot about this one.

www.the-numbers.com

Guessing they'll be the big winners in all this as long as they keep a simple interface and don't get bought by amazon.

All they really need to do is add a better history interface.

The Numbers is... okay. They have a tendency to mess things up occasionally. Like movies suddenly appearing on the wrong yearly worldwide list. For example it happened last year with Black Panther which suddenly was gone from the 2018 chart and had been placed among 2017-releases. And sometimes movies gets some really odd release-years, like 1899 and stuff like that. But they usually fix it quickly, especially if you contact them after discovering an error.

Idk about the desktop version, but I prefer this new version on mobile.

It took away a lot of things I referenced. I like how you could break down each year by Studio.

Even if the mobile layout is better a lot of stuff is behind a paywall now so it doesn't even matter.

I hate it when companies feel forced to redesign **** that already works. Hell, the same thing happened to the Hype.

the daily box office... I have to scroll left to see the box office total and the browser of my phone is already in vertical mode.

Design wise, it looks a bit inconvenient.

Content wise, it feels very limited. I hope they bring back the worldwide grosses someday especially the 2019 worldwide gross was linked/displayed in the home page and its just gone now.

I preferred having the dailies in columns by day rather than in just one column. It made it really easy to compare weekly drops and trends.

Other sites will pick up the ball that these clowns dropped. Only a matter of time.

Finally took a look and did they completely omit what the film's budget is?

The comments for every post on their facebook is people just saying change it back. Or posting links to The Numbers :funny:

Finally took a look and did they completely omit what the film's budget is

Wow. Looks like they removed it as well.

For at least some movies, budget is located under “title summary.” Speculating: if the budget is unknown, rather than list it as “N/A” (as in the old days) they omit the field entirely. :shrug:

Sorry to get into semi-conspiracy theory stuff but do you think they changed their site at the request of studios not wanting certain info to be shown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"