Box Office Predictions

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Docker2.0, Sep 8, 2014.

?

How much will Ant Man make World Wide?

1. Bomb! Below $200M WW

2. $201-$300 million WW

3. $301-$400 million WW

4. $401-$500 million WW

5. Blockbuster! $600M + WW

6. Bomb! Below $200M WW

7. $201-$300 million WW

8. $301-$400 million WW

9. $401-$500 million WW

10. Blockbuster! $600M + WW

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Didn't see a thread here for it so I figured I'd start one. If there is one already made Mods, feel free to delete or merge mine with it.

2. KDM1986 Midnight Sons Founder

I think 400-500 million is a good bet world wide.

3. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

Marvel better really hype this thing up. If Marvel was to ever have a bomb, it's this movie. Not saying it will because I think it will do ok, depending on it's budget. But I'm saying around $450M WW and maybe like $170 Dom.

4. Dyson Registered

I bet Marvel Studios hypes the hell out of this film. I'm guessing around $180 - 210 million in North America. Around $240 - 260 million internationally. Between $400 - 500 million worldwide. I seriously doubt this film will flop.

5. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

How though? I'm guessing a cross between TIH and Honey I shrunk the kids. Taking my love of comics out it, I don't know how you can take a superhero named Ant Man seriously........well to carry his own movie anyway. But then again, GoG outgrossed Superman which I don't think anyone saw coming. Disney/Marvel took D listers and turned them into a household name. So we will indeed see.

6. Mysteryman Registered

I heard similar things about GOTG.
    That turned out okay .

7. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

GoG was being described as Marvel meets Star Wars and both genres have big followings. Ant Man is an unknown super hero based on Earth. I'm not saying it's impossible but just don't expect this to be a blockbuster.

8. <(o_o)> Evangeline Is My Hero!

I hope Ant-Man does well for Evangeline Lilly's sake. Tauriel was great amongst the Hobbit ensemble cast, but Ant-Man will be her biggest starring role yet & could really make or break her career & I would hate to see her go back to bit parts/safe roles just when her career was about to take off. If Ant-Man were to completely tank, I'm not worried about Paul Rudd & Michael Douglas they seem to be in everything to an extent so they can easily find more acting work but with Evangeline Lilly she is much more selective with what she does which will have to change if she really wants to further her acting career.

9. BatsDC Side-Kicker

It'll do better than most people think, probably Phase One-ish numbers.

10. smashmode House Stark

Once the Marvel/Disney Hype train gets going, I can see this thing making 200+ million Domestic. post Avengers 2.

11. smashmode House Stark

Nah, There was huge skepticism when this project was first launched by the press and by fans.

12. Mysteryman Registered

If you mean Guardians, I agree with you

13. CaptainWagner Not Today

-Opening so soon after AOU is going to give it a huge boost, espically if there's a direct connection (Hank Pym's A.I. research, perhaps :shr:)

-As for how to market it, I'd say it's clear they're selling it as a heist film, which is great, it's something that we haven't seen before. Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas will help a lot. It's also important to show just hoe impressive his powers can be in the trailers, to dispel all of the "lame" talk. If Marvel can make a talking raccoon and tree the iconic characters of the summer, they can get the world to love Ant-man too.

14. The Question Objectivism doesn't work.

I think it's impossible to predict the box office before the marketing campaign comes out. Sadly, the marketing of a film has much more to do with how much money it makes than the quality does.

15. fixxxer ...goes to 11

^

Not entirely. I can't think of the last movie that was marketed as heavily as TASM2. (Avengers, maybe?) Yet, that movie under performed at the box office with respect to the expectations placed on it. Marketing is a big factor. But so is quality (especially sustained quality, when it comes to the MCU) when it comes to generating buzz in the minds of the movie-going public.

#15 fixxxer, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  16. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

John Carter says hi as well and we all know how that turned out. How that movie bombed is beyond me.

17. TeeKay Registered

After what happened with GOTG, I have no idea how Ant-Man will do. I voted 400-500 million worldwide for now. It's coming out right after AOU, whilst the character won't appear in that film, I'm sure he'll be in the post credits scene and his trailer will be attached to AOU as well.

18. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

There really is no telling how this is going to do. I'm inclined to say it's going to have a decent sized opening, but the quality of the film is going to decide whether or not it has legs and considering how much turmoil the production has been under I'd say this has the potential to be Marvel's first big misfire.
    I have the utmost faith in them as they consistently make good-to-great films, but you never know.

19. smashmode House Stark

MCU says hi back.

20. djsunyc Registered

if this can get to $200 mil domestic, i think it should be considered a big time success.

21. fixxxer ...goes to 11

As of now I'd say $550 mill WW, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it passes $600 mill. $700 mill would surprise me, but I wouldn't rule it out, considering Marvel Studios' past record and all.

Also, I think the poll's a little off. There doesn't seem to be a $501-600 mill bracket, and I would prefer to include a $601-700 mill bracket as well. Unfortunately, I don't think the OP can change this. Would a mod be willing to help out?

22. Drunken Dork Registered

I'm guessing this'll hit at least $300-$400 million (if not more) based on the goodwill Marvel has built up with the general movie going audience.
    Now if you were to ask me if I think the movie will be any good...

23. samsnee Ok

I think a 65 million opening and 500 worldwide is a safe bet. It really depends on that first trailer and what the tone is. It has to give the audience something different than an origin movie and hero fighting villain at the end. I too thought Guardians was risky, but the marketing really sold it as not your standard origins affair.

24. marcvader Lurker #1

Im underestimating and going with $3-400 but would not be surprised it doing around $500 ww.

25. KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I believe Ant-Man will define the new floor of the MCU, at $500 M worldwide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.